ADSL2+ Available from Telstra - So Exetel as well????

Old, inactive threads
Hotchips

ADSL2+ Available from Telstra - So Exetel as well????

Post by Hotchips » Wed Feb 27, 2008 11:17 am

Hi Peeps,

I am moving house 8 March, and Telstra have advised they have ADSL2+ available at my new exchange - Redbank Plains (QLD).

Can some advise if this means Exetel therefore can offer me an ADSL2+ plan - or is it more complicated than that? I would much rather stick with Exetel as I am happy with service and telstra are still struggling to offer matching plans for the price Exetel do.

Also, is naked DSL available from that exchange? If not, what are the considerations exetel make when considering going into an exchange to upgrade to naked?

Also, advice on what I need to do to migrate the ADSL plan I have (either with upgrade to ADSL2+ or NDSL) would be greatly appreciated.

Exetel admins, please feel free to email me as I would like to discuss all this in detail.

Thanks! :D

PS. Some sticky threads with NDSL FAQ's could be a nice touch. Looking through forums I get a lot of very long and scattered threads. I am still unclear as to how NDSL availability is going, what kind of "games" Tesltra are playing with wholesaling it and what ISP plans are with this service.
I have had a perfectly wonderful evening, but this wasn't it.
Groucho Marx

James
Exetel Staff

Re: ADSL2+ Available from Telstra - So Exetel as well????

Post by James » Wed Feb 27, 2008 11:19 am

Hotchips wrote:Hi Peeps,

I am moving house 8 March, and Telstra have advised they have ADSL2+ available at my new exchange - Redbank Plains (QLD).

Can some advise if this means Exetel therefore can offer me an ADSL2+ plan - or is it more complicated than that? I would much rather stick with Exetel as I am happy with service and telstra are still struggling to offer matching plans for the price Exetel do.

Also, is naked DSL available from that exchange? If not, what are the considerations exetel make when considering going into an exchange to upgrade to naked?

Also, advice on what I need to do to migrate the ADSL plan I have (either with upgrade to ADSL2+ or NDSL) would be greatly appreciated.

Exetel admins, please feel free to email me as I would like to discuss all this in detail.

Thanks! :D

PS. Some sticky threads with NDSL FAQ's could be a nice touch. Looking through forums I get a lot of very long and scattered threads. I am still unclear as to how NDSL availability is going, what kind of "games" Tesltra are playing with wholesaling it and what ISP plans are with this service.
I believe that exchange is one of 900 Telstra only ADSL2 exchanges - no other provider currently has access to them.

Hotchips

Post by Hotchips » Wed Feb 27, 2008 12:32 pm

I believe that exchange is one of 900 Telstra only ADSL2 exchanges - no other provider currently has access to them.
Is this an issue that any ISP has raised with ACCC? Are Telstra "within their rights" to do this?

Any info on the rest of my first post would be handy as well.
Groucho Marx

sable

Post by sable » Wed Feb 27, 2008 1:16 pm

Hotchips

Post by Hotchips » Wed Feb 27, 2008 3:06 pm

Thanks a lot Sable. Very interesting.

I hope this makes news nationally and embarreses Telstra, maybe even force Rudd to outline the government position and open up a bit of competition. Isn't he all for modernising and improving Oz broadband overall???? Lack of cometition seems to be opposite to this ideal.

A shame that the way it stands I would have to go to Telstra, which is far from my preferred option. From my point of view telstra are successfully forcing me to sign up to them with no other choice should I want to go to ADSL2+ - which I do.

Exetel Admins - maybe you could email your users updates about this case. Are you one of the 9 ISP's challenging telstra? I really want to avoid going to Telstra and being forced onto a 2 year contract.
Groucho Marx

Klaas

Post by Klaas » Wed Feb 27, 2008 3:23 pm

Hotchips wrote:I hope this makes news nationally and embarreses Telstra, maybe even force Rudd to outline the government position and open up a bit of competition.
Unfortunately, Rudd and the head of Telstra have already met over this, with Rudd agreeing not to force Telstra to open up the service to competitors.

Quote: "Telstra said today that the breakthrough came after the Rudd Government made it clear it did not consider a compelling case had been made for regulating third-party access to the service."

Hotchips

Post by Hotchips » Wed Feb 27, 2008 3:59 pm

To quote Homer Simpson...

"urge to kill - rising...."

well since Rudd seems to like "popular" policy positions, maybe some pressure exerted through the media would be a good tactic from ISP's to fight for better competition. Media leverage can be a powerful ally.
Groucho Marx