Loss of STD/Mobile capability whne Naked ADSL2+ is activated

Old, inactive threads
GaryG

Loss of STD/Mobile capability whne Naked ADSL2+ is activated

Post by GaryG » Fri Mar 07, 2008 10:38 pm

Just wanting to check if this is correct.

My daughter just had her new connection activated. I know that approximately 2 days after she will loose dialtone, etc.

But on the connection date she lost the ability to make STD and mobile calls. Should that have happened?

I don't recall seeing it mentioned before.

ForumAdmin
Exetel Staff

Re: Loss of STD/Mobile capability whne Naked ADSL2+ is activ

Post by ForumAdmin » Fri Mar 07, 2008 10:42 pm

GaryG wrote:Just wanting to check if this is correct.

My daughter just had her new connection activated. I know that approximately 2 days after she will loose dialtone, etc.

But on the connection date she lost the ability to make STD and mobile calls. Should that have happened?

She will lose the abiliy to make any calls pretty much as soon as the service is cut over.

GaryG

Post by GaryG » Fri Mar 07, 2008 10:49 pm

I realise that but was surprised (as she was) when she couldn't make an STD call.

If this is what is happening, people should be warned of the transition.

dogwomble

Post by dogwomble » Sat Mar 08, 2008 9:03 am

The whole point of a Naked ADSL service is to provide a data service, and remove the voice service from the line, so therefore no calls will be possible using the 'traditional' phone service once the service is cut over. This is the reason that Exetel bundle a VOIP service with the connection.

I would like to find out what your daughter was expecting when she moved over to Naked ADSL, particularly since the above explanation should have been obvious when she signed up.

GaryG

Post by GaryG » Sat Mar 08, 2008 9:23 am

People you are missing the point.

This is not an issue about the Naked ADSL2 service - it is perfectly clear.

The point is that Exetel tell you that you have a couple of days once the service is connected to set up your VOIP service and during that time you still have your old service. This is what the application says -
Your Long Distance and local calls will remain with your current provider until your ADSL and telephone line service is transferred from the Current Provider's exchange termination to the new exchange termination. On the day that your telephone line is cut over to the new service the ADSL2 service should take effect by close of business on this day. Upon confirmation that your telephone number is fully ported onto the network, an immediate cancellation of the telephony service will take place. This takes approximately 48-72 hours to complete in which the phone number will be cancelled, handed back to the Telstra network in a non-transferable pool for a period of time.
And her long distance call ability disappeared straight away.

If this is now what happens it would be good to be warned.

If it is a fault, it is a bit late now, but it would at least clear up the situation.

dogwomble

Post by dogwomble » Sat Mar 08, 2008 9:34 am

I think you've misunderstood what you've quoted.

There is no part that says your old phone service will still be usable once it has been cut over, only that "Your Long Distance and local calls will remain with your current provider until your ADSL and telephone line service is transferred", "an immediate cancellation of the telephony service will take place" once it's transferred and this may take "approximately 48-72 hours to complete".

IF there is further information to suggest that service is guaranteed during this cutover period, then please quote it as it would need to be corrected ... the time frame will vary on a case by case basis, but from what you have quoted, I (personally) would have assumed that the phone service would have become unusable some time on the day of cutover due to the phone service being subject to "an immediate cancellation".

sable

Post by sable » Sat Mar 08, 2008 11:25 am

ForumAdmin Posted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 10:42 pm Post subject: Re: Loss of STD/Mobile capability whne Naked ADSL2+ is activ

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

GaryG wrote:
Just wanting to check if this is correct.

She will lose the abiliy to make any calls pretty much as soon as the service is cut over.
If this is the case then eXetel must streamline the creation of the VOIP account and DID to happen prior to the loss of ability to make outgoing phone calls from the PSTN service. preferably at the same time the user account is established and DID and password would then be accessable in the user's members area.

Cocka

Post by Cocka » Sat Mar 08, 2008 11:40 am

People get on here whinging and complaining because they think their connection takes too long, now we have someone complaining because it happened too quickly, dammed if you do and dammed if you don't I guess.
I once thought I made a mistake but I was wrong ?

GaryG

Post by GaryG » Sat Mar 08, 2008 12:33 pm

No one is complaining about the time the connection took - amazing how flamers can read anything into anything.

Dogwomble. I've seen numerous posts in the forum from Exetel staff to support the expectation that the old phone service continues for a couple of days. Here's one -

http://forum.exetel.com.au/viewtopic.ph ... 683#199683

[quote=richardk]Usually two days or so after cut over the telephone service is then ceased so we may not be able to check this. [/quote]

I think it is a good way for it to happen but nothing I read suggested it was for local calls only. It caught us both by surprise.