New Customer Naked ADSL Questions

Old, inactive threads
ultra79

New Customer Naked ADSL Questions

Post by ultra79 » Fri Mar 07, 2008 11:15 pm

Hi,

I am moving house and am looking to sign up with exetel and have been lurking forums here and on whirlpool for info but wanted to clarify a couple of things.

1. When I activate a new telstra line can I go with the home line budget plan for $19.95 line rental (which has a disclaimer saying "HomeLine Budget customers agree not to acquire services from other carriage service providers by dialling their access override code and must not acquire a broadband service from another service provider which is provided using line sharing technology.") OR is it safer just to go with the Home line Complete at $26.95 line rental which has no such disclaimer? The $7 difference is negligible, i just want to avoid complications.

2. I currently have a Belkin wireless router connected to a cable modem, is it safe for me to just get the Netcomm NB6 ADSL2 modem and use this in conjunction with my wireless router, effectiveley just swapping it in place of my cable modem as per my current setup?

3. "Each Exetel “Naked" ADSL2 account includes 100 local or STD calls at no charge if you use an Exetel VoIP service, and a DID (Direct Indial Number) so that you can receive incoming VoIP calls"

Does the above mean that I pay no extra fee on top of my naked adsl2 if dont go above the quoted figures?

4. Is there any cap on the duration of these no charge VOIP calls?

Thankyou for your time in advance, and if my questions are answered then I will go ahead and get the ball rolling to sign up, if all goes well I will spread the word down here in Melbourne :)

CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin

Re: New Customer Naked ADSL Questions

Post by CoreyPlover » Fri Mar 07, 2008 11:49 pm

ultra79 wrote:1. When I activate a new telstra line can I go with the home line budget plan for $19.95 line rental (which has a disclaimer saying "HomeLine Budget customers agree not to acquire services from other carriage service providers by dialling their access override code and must not acquire a broadband service from another service provider which is provided using line sharing technology.") OR is it safer just to go with the Home line Complete at $26.95 line rental which has no such disclaimer? The $7 difference is negligible, i just want to avoid complications.
Since you are intending to apply for the NON PHONE plans, then Exetel will disconnect your Telstra phone line anyway, so the disclaimer doesn't affect you.
ultra79 wrote:2. I currently have a Belkin wireless router connected to a cable modem, is it safe for me to just get the Netcomm NB6 ADSL2 modem and use this in conjunction with my wireless router, effectiveley just swapping it in place of my cable modem as per my current setup?
You are correct: you can switch the cable modem for a NB6. I strongly recommend you pay that little bit extra for the NB6+4W though. The extra cost is quite small and having wireless built-in with the modem means less power cables, less ethernet cabling and less configuration worries.
ultra79 wrote:3. "Each Exetel “Naked" ADSL2 account includes 100 local or STD calls at no charge if you use an Exetel VoIP service, and a DID (Direct Indial Number) so that you can receive incoming VoIP calls"

Does the above mean that I pay no extra fee on top of my naked adsl2 if dont go above the quoted figures?
I don't know much about VoIP services, but this thread seems to contain the information you require.
ultra79 wrote:4. Is there any cap on the duration of these no charge VOIP calls?
I suspect that answer to this question is "no". I cannot find any reference to capped call durations.

ultra79

Post by ultra79 » Fri Mar 07, 2008 11:57 pm

Thanks for your prompt reply, very impressed.

Just curious, is the NB6+4W in any way superior over say the NB6W?

I will post my VOIP questions in the VOIP section.

ultra79

Post by ultra79 » Sat Mar 08, 2008 12:01 am

"I don't know much about VoIP services, but this thread seems to contain the information you require. "

Yes it sure did, thanks.

CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by CoreyPlover » Sat Mar 08, 2008 12:13 am

ultra79 wrote:Just curious, is the NB6+4W in any way superior over say the NB6W?
The NB6+4W has 4 Ethernet ports as opposed to just 1. Difference is probably about $10-$15 from retail stores. Again, I think having an all in one device is better. So why risk being an ethernet port or 2 short? Examples of use would be connecting a laptop at slightly faster transfer rates, networking a printer so that wirelessly connected devices can access it, networking an external storage device via NAS, etc.

Also, the Dynalink RTA1025W is identical to the Netcomm NB6+4W (Netcomm purchased Dynalink and these modems use the same firmware, chipsets, everything).

dogwomble

Post by dogwomble » Sat Mar 08, 2008 9:18 am

CoreyPlover wrote:
ultra79 wrote:Just curious, is the NB6+4W in any way superior over say the NB6W?
The NB6+4W has 4 Ethernet ports as opposed to just 1. Difference is probably about $10-$15 from retail stores. Again, I think having an all in one device is better. So why risk being an ethernet port or 2 short?
There is one reason and one reason alone ... if you're like me, you'd prefer Gigabit Ethernet to standard 100 megabit. Very few routers have Gigabit yet and the ones that do are typically far more expensive. So I just go 8-port Gigabit Switch uplinked to the router :)

Having said that though, most people will be more than fine with 100mbit. Therefore it probably does make more sense to have it all in one. It also makes it easier to troubleshoot if things go wrong. So I agree with you on that point ... if wireless/multiple computers are likely to be required, then it's probably a few extra bucks well spent on the +4W.

sable

Post by sable » Sat Mar 08, 2008 11:36 am

If you are considering Naked ADSL and replacing your modem/router then you should consider a model with VOIP capability built in a Netcomm NB9W or Billion 7401VGP-M or 7404VGP-M are a couple that come to mind, all have wireless and a built in ATA.

ultra79

Post by ultra79 » Sat Mar 08, 2008 12:44 pm

sable wrote:If you are considering Naked ADSL and replacing your modem/router then you should consider a model with VOIP capability built in a Netcomm NB9W or Billion 7401VGP-M or 7404VGP-M are a couple that come to mind, all have wireless and a built in ATA.
I only plan to use voip occasionally to ring interstate to a normal PSTN phone line, i dont need it for incoming calls. I figured on just using software (softphone?) and a headset on my wirelessly connected laptop. I have no experience with voip, but i figured this setup would work similair to skype?

If I am missing anything by all means enlighten me please, is there much disadvantage in using a softphone setup?

dogwomble

Post by dogwomble » Sat Mar 08, 2008 1:33 pm

There's no real disadvantage in using a 'softphone' setup, except that you will be tied to your PC.

A router with a built in ATA will give you the flexibility to add a standard phone to your setup if you so choose, so I would probably recommend this option for the extra flexibility.

ultra79

Post by ultra79 » Sat Mar 08, 2008 2:04 pm

ok, thanks for all the help. I'm off to ring telstra to get my phone line setup.

outbush

Post by outbush » Sat Mar 08, 2008 3:11 pm

dogwomble wrote:
There is one reason and one reason alone ... if you're like me, you'd prefer Gigabit Ethernet to standard 100 megabit. Very few routers have Gigabit yet and the ones that do are typically far more expensive. So I just go 8-port Gigabit Switch uplinked to the router :)
I don't see much point in getting Gigabit equipment as you certainly wont reach those speeds unless you have a fast cable connection.

CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by CoreyPlover » Sat Mar 08, 2008 3:54 pm

outbush wrote:I don't see much point in getting Gigabit equipment as you certainly wont reach those speeds unless you have a fast cable connection.
The intention would be for internal networking, such as transfers between computers or network storage devices

dogwomble

Post by dogwomble » Sun Mar 09, 2008 10:06 am

outbush wrote:I don't see much point in getting Gigabit equipment as you certainly wont reach those speeds unless you have a fast cable connection.
The Gigabit is not for the Internet connection, it's for my internal network.

purduerowdie

Post by purduerowdie » Tue Mar 18, 2008 2:17 pm

ultra79 wrote:ok, thanks for all the help. I'm off to ring telstra to get my phone line setup.
so i'm in the same situation. If i ring telstra and have them hook up the phone line, what exactly will I have to pay telstra?

given this situation:
I sign up for the 19.95/month home line budget plan from telstra. The next day, i set up my exetel naked adsl2+.

I understand that exetel cancels this telstra line, but does telstra charge a fee for breaking the service so quickly? will i be charged a complete 19.95 for the entire month, or will my charge be pro-rated to mirror my actual service time with telstra?

thanks.

tocpcs

Post by tocpcs » Tue Mar 18, 2008 2:30 pm

No.

Your charges to Telstra will be $59 for connection of an inplace connection, and ($19.95 / 31) * <days until cutover>.

Telstra will naturally only bill you for that period, or refund whatever is left, assuming you make the application for Naked DSL as soon as the line is connected and active (about 2 days after it is active make your application).

There is no contract if you sign up for the HomeLine Budget plan.