Many dropouts in a day.

Old, inactive threads
TheMuse

Many dropouts in a day.

Post by TheMuse » Sun Mar 09, 2008 1:44 am

Hi. i'm hoping I can get some help/suggestions about our ADSL2+ service.

It drops out alot, perhaps every hour or 2. Sometimes it can go for 3 or 4 hours but the dropouts are usually common most days.

I went for a week without plugging my chorded home phone in and it would still dropout.

I am using a Netgear DG834G, I have Austar Digital here but it isn't connected to the phone line or anything we just have a dish on the roof.

When the dropouts occur the sync light will go off then it starts to flash orange and eventually goes a solid yellow again.

Anyhoo. I'd appreciate some assistance. happy to give information that you need.
There are never grey areas, just excuses.

funnybunny

Post by funnybunny » Sun Mar 09, 2008 8:38 am

hey,

i have the same problem.. but mine drops out around 5times an hour but only a minute or so... Happened ever since i changed from ADSL to ADSL2+...

dogwomble

Post by dogwomble » Sun Mar 09, 2008 10:11 am

Have you both performed isolation tests to confirm that there isn't something in your equipment causing interferance?

guybrush

Post by guybrush » Sun Mar 09, 2008 12:24 pm

Sounds very similar to my problem! See my other post...

TheMuse

Post by TheMuse » Sun Mar 09, 2008 12:24 pm

dogwomble,

We have the 2 outlets in our flat and as far as i know it's only the phone and the router plugged in. As I said before I had the phone completely unplugged for a couple of weeks, maybe more and the same problems existed.

TheMuse

Post by TheMuse » Mon Mar 10, 2008 10:21 am

Could it be a power issue?

Why I say that is we have a problem with one of our light sockets where the globe will always blow prematurely (That sounded wrong :? )

And absolutely every one of our power points is used, perhaps we are a little overloaded?

Would getting one of theose adapter thingies where you plug something in and even if it loses a little power the adapter holds power so it can ensure whatever is plugged in keeps all it's power...you know what I'm on about?

Umm?

richardk
Exetel Staff

Post by richardk » Mon Mar 10, 2008 10:40 am

Good Morning,

For drop out problems we do see events quite often where they can be a sudden increase / decrease in power in the property that disturbs the ADSL connection.
I can't really comment on the power adaptor you are talking about as I have not seen one of those.

Thank You

TheMuse

Post by TheMuse » Mon Mar 10, 2008 11:38 am

richardk wrote:I can't really comment on the power adaptor you are talking about as I have not seen one of those.

Thank You

Do they exist?

Can someone point me in the right direction if they have an idea of what i am talking about..please.

EIDT: Also do you know if there is a list of Routers that are recommened for optus ADSl2+?

CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by CoreyPlover » Mon Mar 10, 2008 11:57 am

TheMuse wrote:EIDT: Also do you know if there is a list of Routers that are recommened for optus ADSl2+?
Any modem/router should be fine. Some modems that are recommended more highly than others include the Billion (say, the 7300G model, or the 7404 models if you want VoIP) or Netcomm (NB6+4W or the NB9 if you want VOIP) or Dynalink (RTA1025W - exactly the same firmware, etc as the NB6+4W. Just a different casing).

However, you may wish to somehow borrow a different modem first because the Netgear should be sufficient and you will only want to upgrade if you notice an improvement
Can someone point me in the right direction if they have an idea of what i am talking about..please.
I think you are talking about UPS (uninterruptible power supplies). Belkin are a common brand for these things, maybe something like this? This may solve some things that may be causing power related / ADSL drop outs (like backflow I think) but you will still be drawing the same amount of high current on your electronic devices so I'm not too sure what effect it will have overall.

Edit: The original linked item was only surge protection...the one above is battery backup as well.

TheMuse

Post by TheMuse » Mon Mar 10, 2008 12:54 pm

Thanks Corey.

I also have the NB5 4W but the dropouts will occur with that one aswell.

I might fork out some cash for a UPS because I'm willing to try anything for decent Internet again It's already dropped out on me 4 times today :?

Another question too. Is it correct that ADSL2+ is more prone to these kinds of problems? I say this because we have had 8mb ADSL in the past which was absolutely rock solid.

CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by CoreyPlover » Mon Mar 10, 2008 1:12 pm

TheMuse wrote:Another question too. Is it correct that ADSL2+ is more prone to these kinds of problems? I say this because we have had 8mb ADSL in the past which was absolutely rock solid.
Yes. I'd say that it is because it operates at a higher frequency and is therefore more sensitive to noise and noise movements. If you follow up with a support ticket you should be able to get your 24Mbps ADSL2+ profile downgraded to a more stable one without much reduction in speed. Or alternatively you can try forcing your modem into G.DMT (ADSL1) mode which will establish a (hopefully more stable) 8Mbps connection, but should retain a higher upload speed relative to your previous 8Mbps connection.

TheMuse

Post by TheMuse » Mon Mar 10, 2008 2:02 pm

Righto, thanks.

I've changed to G.DMT see how it goes I spose..

I've also lodged a ticket to get my profile changed.

TheMuse

Post by TheMuse » Mon Mar 10, 2008 2:36 pm

TheMuse wrote: I've changed to G.DMT see how it goes I spose..
Dropped out twice since... :?

richardk
Exetel Staff

Post by richardk » Mon Mar 10, 2008 5:00 pm

Good Afternoon,

Do you know if you have any line noise on your line?

Thank You

TheMuse

Post by TheMuse » Tue Mar 11, 2008 12:58 am

Is this what you mean richard?

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
Connection Speed 3456 kbps 384 kbps
Line Attenuation 55 db 15.5 db
Noise Margin 1 db 21 db