Slow speed

Old, inactive threads
echan

Slow speed

Post by echan » Fri Mar 14, 2008 2:50 am

Exetel reported a fault for me after i showed some data. Yesterday I received a phone call from Sydney basically telling me the test results I've conducted were within the acceptable range.

so here they are again

Test run on 14/03/2008 @ 02:34 AM

Mirror: Exetel
Data: 3 MB
Test Time: 32.17 secs

Your line speed is 761 kbps (0.76 Mbps).
Your download speed is 95 KB/s (0.09 MB/s).

------------------------------------------------

and here is another test conducted in Windows cmd, its a 5mb file,

ftp: 5263345 bytes received in 98.89Seconds 53.22Kbytes/sec.

------------------------------------------------

You tell me this is acceptable? this is outrageous.

sonicBlue

Post by sonicBlue » Fri Mar 14, 2008 3:12 am

I think the reason for 761kbps being "acceptable" during off peak is in the fine print of the terms and conditions.

Try speed testing some international sites, I bet you'll find it's much slower than 761kbps :lol:

During peak though, it has to be a minimum of 1536k , so if you are getting less than that then you are allowed to complain about it and they will try to fix it for you. I am in the same boat.

Also keep in mind that Exetel are making some network changes soon, so it might be worth sitting tight and see if it improves.

CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by CoreyPlover » Fri Mar 14, 2008 9:40 am

Actually, ADSL2+ should meet the 1.5Mbps minimum conditions at all times. It is just that there seem to be wider spread issues that are causing sub-standard off-peaks speeds that are outside of Exetel's control.

If you wish to examine your slow speed fault in more detail, you should conduct your speed tests during peak times. Any sub-1.5Mbps speeds that you obtain during these times can be followed through on, but at the moment slow speed tests and results conducted during off-peak times are inconclusive.

Also, ozspeedtest.com is not a very reliable indicator of speeds and you should state which FTP site the other test is from. A download test from mirror.exetel.com.au or using Exetel's speed meter (http://www.exetel.com.au/speed/meter.php) are also good tests to conduct.

tocpcs

Post by tocpcs » Fri Mar 14, 2008 10:59 am

Off Peak has many variables that can interfere with the speed of the service.

The speed of a download has many variables, such as network load (Exetel), the path to the download (outside of Exetel), the remote network (far from Exetel) and the remote server (far from Exetel).

You then add on the P2P shaping device which might be classifying packets at times incorrectly, and you have a inconclusive test.

I've seen what many have referred to as slow speeds, but since the implementation of billing for off peak data, it's actually rarely been noticed.

echan

Post by echan » Fri Mar 14, 2008 10:24 pm

the contrast of those tests that I conducted during peak and non-peak hour are literally huge. Here I reiterate what I've said many times in the past, for the same websites I can visit during peak hour (often in the afternoon) without any problem and always get time-off during non-peak hour (after midnight).

If anyone is still active after midnight you can try to open the following websites which I can never open after midnight. Please try both.

http://www.kitco.cn/cn/
http://www.kitco.com

these two are only an example, there are many other oversea websites I have problem with only at night.

btw the second test i run in windows cmd is done as the following steps
1. Start menu->run then type cmd
2. type ftp usage.request.com.au
3. Username is speedtest
4. Password is testspeed
5. type dir
5. type get 5mb-file.bin

Again this test runs fast during daytime and deadly slow at night

I have lost hopes

CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by CoreyPlover » Fri Mar 14, 2008 11:06 pm

I do not think any of the test you are conducting is appropriate to diagnose your off-peak speed concerns:
  • www.kitco.cn and www.kitco.com are international sites and are always are going to be slower than your connections capacity. Any speed issues between you and international sites are going to be entirely inconclusive as there are just way too many variables and causes of slow speeds that are outside of Exetel's control
  • The usage.request.com.au also seems to understate speeds. I tested my connection twice and recorded about 150KB/s average transfer speed but when downloading from mirror.exetel.com.au I received 400KB/s speeds.
If you really want, you should test your connection using downloads from mirror.exetel.com.au and/or speed tests using www.exetel.com.au/speed/meter.php as this will give a good indication of the capacity of your connection to Exetel. Any slow speeds you then get to Australian or international sites that are drastically slower than these Exetel speed tests indicate bottlenecks that lie outside of Exetel's network.

sonicBlue

Post by sonicBlue » Sat Mar 15, 2008 3:08 am

CoreyPlover wrote:Any slow speeds you then get to Australian or international sites that are drastically slower than these Exetel speed tests indicate bottlenecks that lie outside of Exetel's network.
But what about if you are consistently getting <256k to all the major international servers, eg. youtube.com , download.com , google.com, yahoo.com, cnet.com , ign.com after midnight?

Surely they can't all be bottlenecked? During the day they are all fine, 200kB/sec+ , after midnight, bubkus :(

Btw echan, your fist link didnt work for me, the second one did.

3lusiv3

Post by 3lusiv3 » Sat Mar 15, 2008 10:56 am

This is what I get at 10.54am on a saturday. I should be getting 10 times this speed. My sync speed is about 11 megabits.

3lusiv3

Post by 3lusiv3 » Sat Mar 15, 2008 11:00 am

I usually get slower speed tests off the exetel speed test than from speedtest.net. At the moment I'm getting 321 kbps from the exetel speed test, on an adsl2+ connection. That's very slow:

http://www.exetel.com.au/speed/results. ... recorded=1

Maz

Post by Maz » Sat Mar 15, 2008 11:07 am

I have also noticed that it is particularly slow this morning.

http://www.exetel.com.au/speed/results. ... recorded=1

Can't play games, the maps are finishing by the time I've managed to download them.
This is rubbish.
Maz

thalamic

Post by thalamic » Sat Mar 15, 2008 11:10 am

The Verizon and Optus links look congested at the moment, so that could be why. Weekend traffic...

I have to say my speed during the weekdays this week had been pretty good though.

joregelt2

Post by joregelt2 » Sun Mar 16, 2008 12:15 pm

terrible off-peak speeds have been a permanent feature of exetel for some adsl2+ users for a quite a while.
Exetel have stated that they are making changes and some of these changes have been made, and for some/all of the affected users this has made no difference.

It is worth noting that the 1500kbps minimum requirement for an ADSL2+ service does not only apply in peak times. It applies all the time.
There is nothing in exetel's T&C's regarding increased quota/off-peak/p2p throttling/whatever that can overide the TIO's minimum requirements for what an adsl2+ service is.

Clearly there can be brief periods occasionally when the service does not meet these standards. That is completely understandable on a residential product, where there is not a premium price paid in exchange for a very stringent Service Level Agreement (SLA).

However, a 100% reproducible fall in speeds to below 1500kbps that lasts multiple hours and takes place every 24 hour period at 00:00:01, which is directly related to an ISP's own peak/offpeak period changeover point is in clear violation of the ACCC's and the TIO's requirements for ADSL2+.

It is this that some exetel users have been experiencing.
It is up to each individual user if they have patience and/or their circumstances and usage requirements allow them to tolerate this for whatever period of time.

If a user feels that this is not acceptable - and after seeking assistance from exetel and pursuing the normal problem solving procedures including logging a fault, there is no improvement in the service - then there is no doubt that these circumstances are sufficient grounds to both be released from an ongoing contract and to be given compensation.

Having said all that, one must acknowledge that exetel has a very comeptitively priced product. So once again each user must chose what they want according to their own needs.

daniel

CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by CoreyPlover » Sun Mar 16, 2008 2:18 pm

Daniel,

That is a good summary of the situation and I agree with your post, except for the following highlight sections:
However, a 100% reproducible fall in speeds to below 1500kbps ... is in clear violation of the ACCC's and the TIO's requirements for ADSL2+
then there is no doubt that these circumstances are sufficient grounds to both be released from an ongoing contract and to be given compensation
While your arguments may give good grounds for such an appeal, there is no certainty it will be upheld. As I have stated in previous posts, the TIO and ACCC guidelines clearly take into consideration the average speed a user is able to achieve. To have absolute certainty the current situation is in violation of the requirements would necessarily require a formal determination by the ACCC and TIO. In addition, the ACCC and TIO requirements clearly state that for compensation to be expected, there should be "no other factors outside the provider’s control significantly affecting the speed".

As you have correctly stated, a user can - after seeking assistance from exetel and pursuing the normal problem solving procedures - lodge a complaint via the TIO. I would be very curious what their official position regarding these circumstances are. But until then it may be unwise to speculate, with such certainty, about such determinations.

tocpcs

Post by tocpcs » Sun Mar 16, 2008 2:38 pm

Look at such a situation from the other side.

The reason Off Peak speeds differ greatly to Peak is due to network loading, or P2P shaping.

The Off Peak 48GB is predominantly responsible for any load on the network.

To remove load from a network, you would need to reduce the 48GB to a lesser amount, or provision a LOT more bandwidth, but if you throw more bandwidth, than it is just quickly swallowed up by more usage.

So, if - a Big IF - the 48GB was the cause, the solution to such a situation described above would more than likely involve the reduction or removal of the uncounted period.

The service is sold inclusive of an Uncounted period. Customers buy the service with full knowledge of the Uncounted period.

It's a tricky case raised there, but based on the advertised plans, it could be reasonably assumed that the uncounted period is a free period, and as such no compensation could be due, since no fee was paid for THAT period and the user signed a contract agreeing there would be no guarantee of service.

sonicBlue

Post by sonicBlue » Sun Mar 16, 2008 7:46 pm

But some users have reported getting totally fine speeds after midnight, so maybe the bandwidth just isn't being spread evenly to all customers.

The fact that my http speeds are slower than P2P during off peak isn't right either.