Slow speed

Old, inactive threads
tocpcs

Post by tocpcs » Sun Mar 16, 2008 8:06 pm

It might be incorrectly classifying your HTTP traffic as P2P, and missing your P2P traffic, or classifying your P2P, just not as strongly.

I guess maybe it would help if there had saturation graphs on the pools, and non pools, or even something that suggested if the network was running at full congestion - I would doubt that'd be a good thing to add though.

It could very well depend on the website they are accessing, whether they are connected to Sydney A or Sydney B, and various other factors like that.

It was announced recently that the netenforcer only runs on a lesser amount of bandwidth, in only a small time frame.

austdata

Post by austdata » Sun Mar 16, 2008 8:10 pm

sonicBlue wrote:But some users have reported getting totally fine speeds after midnight, so maybe the bandwidth just isn't being spread evenly to all customers.

The fact that my http speeds are slower than P2P during off peak isn't right either.
I wonder if the first bit has anything to do with some using P2P and others using non-P2P without being aware of it. For example, while I suspected Joost TV used P2P it was not confirmed until I read so on the Joost TV forum. That lead to a video of a talk given by the senior network technician (who wasn't quite sure of his title - Joost don't use them much, apparently). He said they used base P2P software from Mozilla. So it can be cleanly controlled by ISP's, provisioner's and customers.

As for the second part of your question, it's often hard to tell what causes such problems. A tracert (not a ping) can help, reports on additional downloads help a lot (but they need to be done at the same time or it is useless information) and site names help too.

Sometimes big sites like Yahoo, MSN, Google and even telstra.com have problems. So if I'm asked, "Why did I have a bad download/browsing last night?" There is no way to tell. If you asked the same thing about Google, I'd say, "It happens sometimes." If you said "All sites were effected." I'd ask, "Did you try telstra.com (NOT bigpond!)or Exetel?" "Did you try downloading a big file at the same time from another site and did it make any difference to the browsing/other download speeds?"

The problem you (and many others experience) might be at the source server. For example, a top-notch game server with a 100 megabit network connection would only handle about five ADSL2+ users at full speed. Just one more user will knock about 20% of the performance. If you go top of the line and they use a 1 gigabit a second connection as well, then about 57 users will be able to max it out, 58 will overload it. So 300 users can bring it to its knees if they all download at the maximum of 18mb. Not to mention every node between them and you handling even greater capacity.

Cheers,

Mike

sonicBlue

Post by sonicBlue » Sun Mar 16, 2008 9:00 pm

austdata wrote: As for the second part of your question, it's often hard to tell what causes such problems. A tracert (not a ping) can help, reports on additional downloads help a lot (but they need to be done at the same time or it is useless information) and site names help too.

Sometimes big sites like Yahoo, MSN, Google and even telstra.com have problems. So if I'm asked, "Why did I have a bad download/browsing last night?" There is no way to tell. If you asked the same thing about Google, I'd say, "It happens sometimes." If you said "All sites were effected." I'd ask, "Did you try telstra.com (NOT bigpond!)or Exetel?" "Did you try downloading a big file at the same time from another site and did it make any difference to the browsing/other download speeds?"

The problem you (and many others experience) might be at the source server. For example, a top-notch game server with a 100 megabit network connection would only handle about five ADSL2+ users at full speed. Just one more user will knock about 20% of the performance. If you go top of the line and they use a 1 gigabit a second connection as well, then about 57 users will be able to max it out, 58 will overload it. So 300 users can bring it to its knees if they all download at the maximum of 18mb. Not to mention every node between them and you handling even greater capacity.

Cheers,

Mike
I trust what you have said can be true, but the major speed problems reported on this forum involve off peak speeds of <256k (or thereabouts) every night, to any website.

It is not just a once off with a few servers performing badly on a few nights.

I could certainly tolerate a day or two of poor speeds every now and again, but when you can't get more than 20kB/sec to any server, on any night, that is something else.

austdata

Post by austdata » Sun Mar 16, 2008 11:31 pm

sonicBlue wrote: I trust what you have said can be true, but the major speed problems reported on this forum involve off peak speeds of <256k (or thereabouts) every night, to any website.

It is not just a once off with a few servers performing badly on a few nights.

I could certainly tolerate a day or two of poor speeds every now and again, but when you can't get more than 20kB/sec to any server, on any night, that is something else.
I'm not saying that is the problem you are facing. Just saying if you supplied the information it would aid diagnoses greatly.

Cheers,

Mike

sonicBlue

Post by sonicBlue » Mon Mar 17, 2008 12:14 am

austdata wrote: I'm not saying that is the problem you are facing. Just saying if you supplied the information it would aid diagnoses greatly.
Of course I have already contacted residental support about the issue and forwarded all of my speed tests, ping and traceroute information as requested by them.

Should I post them here as well?

austdata

Post by austdata » Mon Mar 17, 2008 12:17 am

sonicBlue wrote:
austdata wrote: I'm not saying that is the problem you are facing. Just saying if you supplied the information it would aid diagnoses greatly.
Of course I have already contacted residental support about the issue and forwarded all of my speed tests, ping and traceroute information as requested by them.

Should I post them here as well?
That wasn't what I asked.

Cheers,

Mike

tocpcs

Post by tocpcs » Mon Mar 17, 2008 12:22 am

I think we are trying to offer you assistance on the forum.

But, considering it's a speed issue, and the likelihood of us finding anything specific to outline the issue being remote, perhaps it's one that is best left to support?

I think your issue might not be PC related, because the speeds are slow during Off Peak, I assume you aren't running any P2P applications when trying to test your speed?

sonicBlue

Post by sonicBlue » Mon Mar 17, 2008 12:37 am

tocpcs wrote:I assume you aren't running any P2P applications when trying to test your speed?
Of course not.

wolfhunter2

Post by wolfhunter2 » Mon Mar 17, 2008 8:58 pm

I get quite slow speeds during the offpeak period eventhough i do not do any of that illegal torrenting and stuff...
I haven't signed up to the fair play policy because i am scared that i will go over, so why does this happen? is it just too many users leaching the generous 48 gbs limit?

tocpcs

Post by tocpcs » Mon Mar 17, 2008 10:00 pm

wolfhunter2 wrote:I get quite slow speeds during the offpeak period eventhough i do not do any of that illegal torrenting and stuff...
I haven't signed up to the fair play policy because i am scared that i will go over, so why does this happen? is it just too many users leaching the generous 48 gbs limit?
That could be the case at midnight, but it could also be the P2P shaper incorrectly classifying traffic.

SpiffingWeasel

Slow Speeds

Post by SpiffingWeasel » Wed Mar 19, 2008 9:09 pm

If Im regularly downloading at speeds of 300-800 kbps from exetel speed tests aswell as others (speedtest.net, ozspeedtest.net) during peak period should I let exetel know, is this acceptable, normal etc?

My best speed tests would have hit 5200 kbps at best and my worst about 15kbps.
All of this is during peak times.

I also know that distance from the exchange shouldnt be an issue.

What steps if any should I take.

Thanks for any help.

CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by CoreyPlover » Wed Mar 19, 2008 11:00 pm

SpiffingWeasel, If the speeds are regularly 300-800kbps in peak, then you may wish to open a new thread (or I can split this into a new thread) to have your speed problems examined.

As a first step however, perhaps post your sync speeds as well as posting the speed of an actual download from mirror.exetel.com.au during peak times. i.e. Try downloading http://debian.mirror.exetel.com.au/debi ... etinst.iso until speeds seem to stabilise and then cancel the download and post the approximate speed or range of speeds that you attained.

sonicBlue

Post by sonicBlue » Thu Mar 20, 2008 8:04 pm

I notice Powertel ADSL2 is no longer being sold. If speed complaints were the cause of that, I would say it was a good move by Exetel :)

Also glad to read ForumAdmin's posts about all the changes that are being made to improve the service. Very encouraging indeed.

cheers

3lusiv3

Post by 3lusiv3 » Fri Mar 21, 2008 11:55 am

http is very slow this morning.

http://www.exetel.com.au/speed/results. ... recorded=1

Have a look at the "TRAFFIC 2 TO/FROM THE INTERNET VIA OPTUS(600 MBPS PLUS)" graph. It's maxed out.

https://www.exetel.com.au/members/a_mrt ... rnet_2.php

CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by CoreyPlover » Fri Mar 21, 2008 1:19 pm

3lusiv3 wrote:Have a look at the "TRAFFIC 2 TO/FROM THE INTERNET VIA OPTUS(600 MBPS PLUS)" graph. It's maxed out.
I'm not sure that it is actually maxed out. The graph only shows up to 550Mbps but the link says it is 600Mbps+ so it may just a byproduct of the graph's scale. Total Optus ADSL2+ traffic (https://www.exetel.com.au/members/a_mrt ... _adsl2.php) doesn't exhibit any maxing.

Either way, congestion in morning hours very often clears by midday, and you would perhaps expect higher usage during long weekend and public holidays.