New ADSL1 Plans/Naked ADSL2 Plans

Old, inactive threads
Post Reply
ForumAdmin
Exetel Staff
Posts: 3663
Joined: Sun Jan 04, 2004 2:31 pm
Location: Sydney

New ADSL1 Plans/Naked ADSL2 Plans

Post by ForumAdmin » Fri Apr 04, 2008 9:43 am

Over the next 72 hours we will finalise any changes to the remaining ADSL1 plans (256/512/1500) and the Naked ADSL2 plans.

Any suggestions will, as always, be welcomed.

As I will be 'travelling' for most of the rest of the day I will not be responding until tomorrow.
Last edited by ForumAdmin on Fri Apr 04, 2008 10:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

Craig Ballard
Posts: 18
Joined: Tue Feb 13, 2007 3:38 pm

Post by Craig Ballard » Fri Apr 04, 2008 10:06 am

First I like to a big thanks for the improvements you have made, I have never come across a company that will ask their current users to make suggestions and act on them when you can.

As for your Naked ADSL can you think about a new Low Plan similar to what was added for ADSL2. The cost of the new low ADSL2 IncPhoneZ** is only $5 more compared to NonPhone A*.

So theres not much advantage to go with Naked ADSL for a cost saving approach.

Otherwise I believe you have the best plans out there by far.

Thanks again
Craig.

NetGX
Posts: 16
Joined: Thu Dec 27, 2007 10:15 pm
Location: RAYMOND TERRACE

Post by NetGX » Fri Apr 04, 2008 10:27 am

I like the idea of having the option to choose the peak/ off peak amount.

Say the option of 10, 20 and 50gb for off peak, with the same price just different amounts for peak usage.

NetGX
Posts: 16
Joined: Thu Dec 27, 2007 10:15 pm
Location: RAYMOND TERRACE

Post by NetGX » Fri Apr 04, 2008 10:29 am

I also wouldn't mind in the future having the ability to shape download speed in off peak to trade for a higher data allowance.

Say 30% shaped speed will give 20%increase in data. Obviously there would have to be significant demand for this as I imagine it would be quite hard to implement.

fester
Posts: 60
Joined: Thu Aug 30, 2007 10:00 pm
Location: Tasmania

Post by fester » Fri Apr 04, 2008 10:45 am

Just echoing my suggestion from the last thread as it seemed to end up relating to adsl2

1500/256 $50.00 48 gbytes /8 gbytes $3.00

peteru
Posts: 56
Joined: Thu Dec 20, 2007 12:22 pm
Location: Sydney, Australia

Post by peteru » Fri Apr 04, 2008 10:53 am

In the previous incarnation of this thread, one user suggested making dynamic IP the default and static IP an option. I'd like to voice a very strong objection to this.

If static IP was not the default, I would have probably not considered or joined Exetel. There are many, many reasons why a static IP assigned in a block of static IPs is desirable - the most obvious being RBLs that block "dial-up" ranges. A static IP in a pool of dynamic IPs is simply not as good.

I also do not see a legitimate reason for dynamic IPs. The only reasons I can think of are to facilitate anti-social, unethical or illegal activities.

danmac
Posts: 17
Joined: Tue Nov 20, 2007 2:19 pm
Location: Sydney

Post by danmac » Fri Apr 04, 2008 11:11 am

How about making the naked plans more attractive with higher limits or dedicated pools for faster speeds? It would seem to me that the nonphone A at $50, vs the inc phone A at $65 should leave exetel with $5-$10 more margin with the naked ADSL version. While i am sure that we would all want exetel to be more profitable at the expense of telstra, it would be good to see the naked plans beefed up. This could be higher peak or off peak downloads, or even just having the email to fax and fax to email's included in the fee. Anything would be an improvment.
I am also for bundling, as i currently have all services with exetel

CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin
Posts: 5922
Joined: Sat Nov 04, 2006 2:24 pm
Location: Melbourne, VIC

Post by CoreyPlover » Fri Apr 04, 2008 11:50 am

peteru wrote:In the previous incarnation of this thread, one user suggested making dynamic IP the default and static IP an option. I'd like to voice a very strong objection to this.

If static IP was not the default, I would have probably not considered or joined Exetel. There are many, many reasons why a static IP assigned in a block of static IPs is desirable - the most obvious being RBLs that block "dial-up" ranges. A static IP in a pool of dynamic IPs is simply not as good.

I also do not see a legitimate reason for dynamic IPs. The only reasons I can think of are to facilitate anti-social, unethical or illegal activities.
Exetel's IPs are actually dynamic, but they remember which IP goes with which login so it effectively mimics a static IP. You can reassigned yourself a new "dynamic static" IP in the user facilities and you can do this 20 (or maybe 30) times without charge.

Mixer
Posts: 181
Joined: Sun Mar 30, 2008 2:21 pm
Location: Sydney - Randwick

Post by Mixer » Fri Apr 04, 2008 12:46 pm

How about better uploads 1500/512 ?

James D

Post by James D » Fri Apr 04, 2008 1:09 pm

Mixer wrote:How about better uploads 1500/512 ?
Telstra restrict the upload on the 1500 services to 256, this is not something that Exetel can change.

AT
Posts: 10
Joined: Fri Apr 04, 2008 1:16 pm
Location: Wagga Wagga

Post by AT » Fri Apr 04, 2008 1:27 pm

fester wrote:Just echoing my suggestion from the last thread as it seemed to end up relating to adsl2

1500/256 $50.00 48 gbytes /8 gbytes $3.00
Yeah i'd like to see 1500/256 for that price... just a little more affordable than TELJ and i'm not to keen on the 4gb at 1500 in TELI. Maybe bump TELI to 8gb?

peteru
Posts: 56
Joined: Thu Dec 20, 2007 12:22 pm
Location: Sydney, Australia

Post by peteru » Fri Apr 04, 2008 1:29 pm

CoreyPlover wrote:Exetel's IPs are actually dynamic, but they remember which IP goes with which login so it effectively mimics a static IP. You can reassigned yourself a new "dynamic static" IP in the user facilities and you can do this 20 (or maybe 30) times without charge.
Which is a very good setup that I would not like to lose or change much.

What would be nice is a free tool to configure reverse lookup, so that those of us who have registered domain names and run servers can configure the correct in-addr.arpa reverse lookups.

Zoltan
Posts: 5
Joined: Wed Mar 05, 2008 12:05 pm
Location: Melbourne

Post by Zoltan » Fri Apr 04, 2008 3:06 pm

Guess everyone got something except us on 8/48 incl phone :wink:

Col
Posts: 213
Joined: Fri Mar 14, 2008 7:55 pm
Location: NSW

Post by Col » Fri Apr 04, 2008 4:48 pm

@peteru: I don't want to debate the uses of a dynamic IP, just to say that there are a few small reasons why people like them. Setting it up the way I said in my post would, I thought, make both the people who like dynamic and static IPs give a tick to Exetel in that box.

I am dreaming of a time where Exetel's plans will become customisable allowing people to pick options like to have the off-peak quota or not, or to be shaped or pay excess fees, and being able to choose between static and dynamic IP goes along with that idea. Due to all these new options Exetel's plans would appeal to more people, which is what I am aiming for. Also I am with hornet48 in allowing us to turn on/off these options on a monthly basis.

Thinking back to a post in the last thread I want to also suggest a reduction in the setup fees for new users. The $145 is a massive hit to the wallet for some people. Perhaps you can do a setup like other ISPs where you pick your contract length and get charged less the longer the contract you pick is. Something like a 6, 12 and 24 month contract term?

Otherwise I can not think of any recommendations for the 256/512/1500 plans cause they are hard to beat. I do think however that making the plans $xx.95 will increase the appeal of them. For instance, its hard to get low users to sign up to the $30 plan when nearly all the rest of the ISPs start at $29.95. This is especially the case with the $145 setup fee. People love the idea of savings, even when it's only 5c.

ForumAdmin
Exetel Staff
Posts: 3663
Joined: Sun Jan 04, 2004 2:31 pm
Location: Sydney

Post by ForumAdmin » Fri Apr 04, 2008 5:01 pm

AT wrote:
fester wrote:Just echoing my suggestion from the last thread as it seemed to end up relating to adsl2

1500/256 $50.00 48 gbytes /8 gbytes $3.00
Yeah i'd like to see 1500/256 for that price... just a little more affordable than TELJ and i'm not to keen on the 4gb at 1500 in TELI. Maybe bump TELI to 8gb?
That's probably doable.

Post Reply