New ADSL1 Plans/Naked ADSL2 Plans

Old, inactive threads
trev12
Posts: 140
Joined: Tue Oct 16, 2007 10:45 pm
Location: geelong

Post by trev12 » Sun Apr 06, 2008 8:05 am

so the 8000 plans has already been change no addition to be added on it ?

3lusiv3
Posts: 168
Joined: Mon Jan 07, 2008 9:42 pm
Location: Parramatta, NSW

Post by 3lusiv3 » Sun Apr 06, 2008 10:39 am

My parents are on a $40 512/128 kbps 5GB shaped plan with Internode. I'd like them to go to 1500kbps or 8000 kbps 5GB shaped plan for the same amount per month or not too much more. The problem with unshaped plans is that I can't know if my parents are going to accidently go over their limit. They, like most people, have no idea what a Gigabyte means so I can't put them on an unshaped plan because they could download a few big movies and have no idea about file size. People like them are also extremely price conscious when it comes to internet access and are not willing to pay much in startup fees. They are also quite attached to Telstra and aren't willing to change phone providers.

I think 5 GB quota is the absolute minimum they I could ever recommend to anyone. Anything else is too low and it's too easy to go over quota on plans that are less than 5GB, particularly with average users that never check their usage.

I also wouldn't be able to recommend exetel to my parents if exetel doesn't send emails saying that they are getting close to quota and gone over quota. It seems irresponsible to me that an ISP would not send warning emails.

JasonM

Post by JasonM » Sun Apr 06, 2008 10:49 am

It's not the ISPs responsibility to monitor the usage habits of its users, that is of course the users responsibility.

You wouldn't leave all lights and TVs on in your house, and not realise that at some point, you'll have to pay for it, the same is true with the internet.

Or, even an STD phone call. You'd surely be mindful that at some point, it will cost you for the usage of the service.

Gidget
Volunteer Site Admin
Posts: 1816
Joined: Wed Jan 28, 2004 4:33 am
Location: Sydney

Post by Gidget » Sun Apr 06, 2008 12:55 pm

Hi 3lusiv3

You could always monitor the usage yourself for your parents if you think you can't educate them to do so themselves (eg you could simply set up one of the external usage meters with their details). On the other hand, going over their limit and getting charged for excess usage would probably be a great educator all by itself :D

Cheers

Gidget
Log a fault ticket here
or call Exetel VOIP numbers (02) 8030 1000 or 1300 788 141 (log faults 24x7)
Exetel Support Portal

TijN
Posts: 99
Joined: Tue Nov 28, 2006 6:44 pm
Location: Melbourne

Post by TijN » Sun Apr 06, 2008 1:24 pm

hooooooo i got something for nothing. :)

all smiles here. 24gb to 32gb. i love you all. :)

the_aph
Posts: 48
Joined: Thu Apr 19, 2007 8:09 am

Re: Shaping or Off Peak sacrificing

Post by the_aph » Sun Apr 06, 2008 1:35 pm

ForumAdmin wrote:
the_aph wrote:I’m a happy Exetel customer and am very happy with my current ADSL2 IncPhoneB plan. However, I’ve found it hard to recommend some of the low plans to friends/clients, that are less tech savvy than myself. I’d love to recommend the current IncPhoneZ or A plans, but without a capped deal its hard. I find these people want a fixed priced service or just an 8 gig plan with no off peak bonus.

Suggestions:
1.
-Make peak traffic shaping an option in the Members Facilities.
-If Exetel is worried this will increase their data usage, data used while capped could be deducted from off peak total.
2.
-Make an option in the Members Facilities (similar to the current Fair Play option) that allows you to turn off your off peak bonus for an increase in peak usage.
-ie turning off peak bonus on the IncPhoneZ plan would change the plan from 2/48GB a month to 4 or 6GB total a month.

3.
-Just offer an ADSL2inc plan that has no off peak bonus and somewhere between 4 & 10 GB a month. (similar to the adsl1 bundled plans, but with fixed line instead of mobile)

Thanks for offering this suggestions page and acting on what you can. The last round of changes where excellent.

Rob
1) We will look at that but t's always been too complicated for us to implement.

2) That won't be able to be done.

3) That will be considered.
Thank you for considering my suggestions.
I appreciate that option 1. would add complexity (something John Linton has commented you’re trying to remove). I recommend and install internet for a lot of people in country Victoria, thus far I’m not able to recommend Exetel’s service (for the reasons stated above). I think if you took the plunge with this option, it could significantly help you with your planned doubling of ADSL1 customers. I for one would start recommending Exetel exclusively for ADSL 1 services.

soaper
Posts: 494
Joined: Sat Jul 31, 2004 2:19 pm

Post by soaper » Sun Apr 06, 2008 2:44 pm

3lusiv3 wrote: The problem with unshaped plans is that I can't know if my parents are going to accidently go over their limit. They, like most people, have no idea what a Gigabyte means so I can't put them on an unshaped plan because they could download a few big movies and have no idea about file size. People like them are also extremely price conscious when it comes to internet access and are not willing to pay much in startup fees. They are also quite attached to Telstra and aren't willing to change phone providers..
i think this is funny :D :D
i would be many peoples parents age and trust me i can go check our usage very easily.
dowload, landline and VOIP amounts.
i have watched usage since i got internet 10 years ago as with any plan i have been on, with any provider, the price was not shaping.... but $$

however.......i must admit i havnt a clue as to how to down load a movie.
illegally or legally :oops:
which is why i dont need much off peak allowence.
maybe your parents can teach me and i will teach them :-)

would they really really be unable to check out the download.??

if IS the case.......then Gidgets idea is good

one of my family members is on a shaped plan.......which is to stop one of her family members dowloading too much.....beyond which she is NOT interested in discussing payment of .:evil:
she will NEVER leave that plan for that reason.

i would never go shaped as my VOIP is important to me

maybe your parents are up to the challenge if u go about it the right way.????
there is no way would i let my son teach me anything about a computer.
he hasnt the capacity or the interest but more critically he would be impatient and impossible to deal with. i would kill him....earliest.
as reasonable as he might well be otherwise

us old peeps can be taught stuff yanno :shock: 8) :D
give it a go ???

GaryG
Posts: 122
Joined: Sun Dec 11, 2005 10:41 pm
Location: Melbourne

Post by GaryG » Mon Apr 07, 2008 11:08 am

The one thing I really want to see with the Naked Plans is the ability to port the existing number so you have the same phone number before and after the plan change (on VOIP of course, though I guess it doesn't have to be on Exetel VOIP if that helps..

It is the one thing stopping me and a number of others I know from signing up to Naked Plans.

ForumAdmin
Exetel Staff
Posts: 3663
Joined: Sun Jan 04, 2004 2:31 pm
Location: Sydney

Post by ForumAdmin » Mon Apr 07, 2008 12:10 pm

GaryG wrote:The one thing I really want to see with the Naked Plans is the ability to port the existing number so you have the same phone number before and after the plan change (on VOIP of course, though I guess it doesn't have to be on Exetel VOIP if that helps..

It is the one thing stopping me and a number of others I know from signing up to Naked Plans.
We don't know how to move a PSTN nmber to VoIP easily enough to make that practical.

While we can do it - it's messy and time consuming.

Until/unless we can find a way of fully automating it we woul't be able to provide it.

hornet48
Posts: 144
Joined: Tue Nov 06, 2007 9:03 pm

Post by hornet48 » Mon Apr 07, 2008 12:29 pm

I have done it (ported a PSTN number to a Voip provider.....

it took some months to accomplish.

.... then the provider was sold and their service "discontinued"

.... and now I do not have it working at all.

Apparently I still "own" it..... but I have no idea how to recover it and have a voip account point to it.

.... I finally "got over it" and changed all my letterheads and business cards.

I have put it down to experience........ I suggest you don't wade into that river.

Harry.

GaryG
Posts: 122
Joined: Sun Dec 11, 2005 10:41 pm
Location: Melbourne

Post by GaryG » Mon Apr 07, 2008 12:40 pm

hornet48 wrote:Apparently I still "own" it..... but I have no idea how to recover it and have a voip account point to it.

.... I finally "got over it" and changed all my letterheads and business cards.

I have put it down to experience........ I suggest you don't wade into that river.
I must admit to being wary but having been with Exetel for a while I was prepared to take a punt.

In the end, it sounds like it won't be something Exetel offer and until there is a more universal porting system it will stay a challenge.

ForumAdmin
Exetel Staff
Posts: 3663
Joined: Sun Jan 04, 2004 2:31 pm
Location: Sydney

Post by ForumAdmin » Mon Apr 07, 2008 12:59 pm

GaryG wrote:[
I must admit to being wary but having been with Exetel for a while I was prepared to take a punt.

In the end, it sounds like it won't be something Exetel offer and until there is a more universal porting system it will stay a challenge.
It is "coming" - I don't know in what timeframe.

I'm very reluctant to make promises that are so clouded in 'ifs' and 'buts' as they are at the moment.

ForumAdmin
Exetel Staff
Posts: 3663
Joined: Sun Jan 04, 2004 2:31 pm
Location: Sydney

Post by ForumAdmin » Mon Apr 07, 2008 1:00 pm

Some ADSL1 512/128 plan included peak allowances have been increased and one 1500 plan's allowance - they will appear on the User Facilities and other pages later today.

GaryG
Posts: 122
Joined: Sun Dec 11, 2005 10:41 pm
Location: Melbourne

Post by GaryG » Mon Apr 07, 2008 1:10 pm

ForumAdmin wrote:
GaryG wrote:[
I must admit to being wary but having been with Exetel for a while I was prepared to take a punt.

In the end, it sounds like it won't be something Exetel offer and until there is a more universal porting system it will stay a challenge.
It is "coming" - I don't know in what timeframe.

I'm very reluctant to make promises that are so clouded in 'ifs' and 'buts' as they are at the moment.
I can understand why.

Thanks for letting me know it is coming.

fester
Posts: 60
Joined: Thu Aug 30, 2007 10:00 pm
Location: Tasmania

Post by fester » Mon Apr 07, 2008 2:25 pm

ForumAdmin wrote:Some ADSL1 512/128 plan included peak allowances have been increased and one 1500 plan's allowance - they will appear on the User Facilities and other pages later today.
not quite enough for me to go to 1500 :(

just needed 8gb at $50 :(

oh well at lease I got a few more gb of peak quoter :)

Post Reply