Moving home and changing from ADSL 1 to ADSL2

Old, inactive threads
cadbury

Moving home and changing from ADSL 1 to ADSL2

Post by cadbury » Mon Apr 07, 2008 10:36 pm

Hi,

I am currently on ADSL 1 TELI 1500/256 $45/month (with exetel over 2 years)
I am moving to my new home in a 4 weeks time and wondering about
changing to ADSL 2 IncPhoneA**$65.00/mnth
Just want to check
1) there's no cancelation fee and no activation fee?
2) how long is the new contract?
3) as this plan includes phone line rental, i can still plug a phone into the wall socket to use as a normal home phone line, right?
5) what should i do when moving to minimise the down time?

Thank you

JasonM

Re: Moving home and changing from ADSL 1 to ADSL2

Post by JasonM » Mon Apr 07, 2008 10:42 pm

cadbury wrote:Hi,

I am currently on ADSL 1 TELI 1500/256 $45/month (with exetel over 2 years)
I am moving to my new home in a 4 weeks time and wondering about
changing to ADSL 2 IncPhoneA**$65.00/mnth
Just want to check
1) there's no cancelation fee and no activation fee?
2) how long is the new contract?
3) as this plan includes phone line rental, i can still plug a phone into the wall socket to use as a normal home phone line, right?
5) what should i do when moving to minimise the down time?

Thank you
1. There is no cancellation fee if you are out of contract. There is no activation fee if you choose an ADSL2+ inc phone plan, you are set to a 12 month contract.

2. There is a 12 month contract on ADSL2+ with phone services.

3. Yes, your phone should work from your wall socket.

5. The best you can do is apply before you move in. As there is no disadvantage or advantage with connecting a new service, or transferring your existing, to minimise downtime you should connect before relocating if possible.

You will need to arrange for your phone service through Telstra.

cadbury

Post by cadbury » Mon Apr 07, 2008 10:47 pm

JasonM wrote:
cadbury wrote:Hi,

Thank you
1. There is no cancellation fee if you are out of contract. There is no activation fee if you choose an ADSL2+ inc phone plan, you are set to a 12 month contract.

2. There is a 12 month contract on ADSL2+ with phone services.

3. Yes, your phone should work from your wall socket.

5. The best you can do is apply before you move in. As there is no disadvantage or advantage with connecting a new service, or transferring your existing, to minimise downtime you should connect before relocating if possible.

You will need to arrange for your phone service through Telstra.
Thanks for the answer.
with your point 5, How long before should I cancel my current internet service as I will be moving mid next month? How do I go about cancelling?

and how long before relocating i should allow to apply for new service to ensure when i move in, I could have internet activated for use?

and when I arrange my phone service thru Telstra, do I still pay them a monthly fee? or How does that work ?

thank you

JasonM

Post by JasonM » Mon Apr 07, 2008 10:51 pm

You can specify a disconnection date on the disconnection form.

Cancelling is done by logging into user facilities, and choosing "ADSL", then "Terminate My Service".

You are then able to specify a date for termination.

The internet service application for your new address should be made a few weeks before moving in if possible, so the service is activated in time for moving in, however an active phone line is required for this to happen.

Telstra, you will need to pay for a connection fee, and part month of line rental, then when the Naked DSL service is active and operational, you can arrange for cancellation.

I do understand it is supposed to be automatic, but you are also able to report the cancellation of the service.

cadbury

Post by cadbury » Mon Apr 07, 2008 10:59 pm

JasonM wrote:You can specify a disconnection date on the disconnection form.

Cancelling is done by logging into user facilities, and choosing "ADSL", then "Terminate My Service".

You are then able to specify a date for termination.

The internet service application for your new address should be made a few weeks before moving in if possible, so the service is activated in time for moving in, however an active phone line is required for this to happen.

Telstra, you will need to pay for a connection fee, and part month of line rental, then when the Naked DSL service is active and operational, you can arrange for cancellation.

I do understand it is supposed to be automatic, but you are also able to report the cancellation of the service.
hi,

just want to clarify you were saying" an active phone line is required". Is it in the case that the new phone number is not required so long there was previous tenants having local phone lines? As I prob won't know the new phone number at the new home until i move in and arrange for connection.

secondly, when Naked DSl service is active, i need to arrange cancellation with Telstra line? is there a penalty fee for cancellation within such short period of time?

JasonM

Post by JasonM » Mon Apr 07, 2008 11:35 pm

You will need to have an active, working (as in you have the account setup) phone account.

A new phone number will be required.

There is no penalty on cancellation of Telstra plans as far as I am aware, if you go with Home Line Budget for example, you should only have to pay for the few weeks of the $19.95 that the service is connected, plus any additional charges.

There isn't any 'early termination fee' on a home phone, that I am aware of.

Rich H

Post by Rich H » Tue Apr 15, 2008 2:37 pm

I am in a similar situation. I am moving and want to change from ADSL1 to ADSL2 (including phone) at the same time.

I take possession of the new property about 10 days before I give up the old one.I want to get ADSL2 set up at the new address whilst still having ADSL1 access at the old one during this period.

If I do this, can I then get my existing phone number ported to the new address when I get Telstra to disconnect the service at the old place?

Thanks in advance.

paulp
Exetel Staff

Post by paulp » Wed Apr 16, 2008 10:19 am

HI Rich,

You could do this if you had a different number at the new premises and then you could go about 'streamlining' it to avoid long downtime.

If however you are wanting to use the same number from the old place to the new one, you would have to wait until the number is activated at the new place before provisioning can start. In addition, porting the number to the new place would also disconnect your existing ADSL1(drop the ADSL codes off the line)

ScottH2155

Post by ScottH2155 » Sun Apr 20, 2008 9:55 pm

I'm in a similar position, I am moving to my new place and want to confirm a few things.

I am ADSL1, I want DSL2, with phone. Not the naked one, a clothed one it just fine.

I will be keeping the same number on the same exchange (Kellyville).
It's a new house, never been connected.

So, the sequence if I understand it.

1 - Kick off Telstra new house process, new connection for my moving date.
1.5 - I'll put it on the HomeBudget rental.
2 - fill out Exetel termination for the same date for the current place.
3 - Fill out the application form like the day before Telstra does the swap.
3.5 - Exetel grabs the rental from Telstra (yes?)
4 - wait patiently while it all sorts itself out???

Other questions:

- I'm using Engin, but had enough - I'm on my 4th VB3 now. I've read that the 4 port wireless DSL2 modems are good for the job. I have a Uniden cordless phone system that works OK with Engin.

Do I just order this separately as well as the VOIP service, or do I wait for the point 4 above happens?

Thanks in advance for your help!

CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by CoreyPlover » Sun Apr 20, 2008 11:20 pm

ScottH2155 wrote:So, the sequence if I understand it.

1 - Kick off Telstra new house process, new connection for my moving date.
1.5 - I'll put it on the HomeBudget rental.
2 - fill out Exetel termination for the same date for the current place.
3 - Fill out the application form like the day before Telstra does the swap.
3.5 - Exetel grabs the rental from Telstra (yes?)
4 - wait patiently while it all sorts itself out???
Sounds about right, but a few little things:
  • Moving the Telstra phone line will disconnect the existing ADSL anyway, but submitting a termination is fine
  • You'll need to fill out the application about 2 days after Telstra does the swap. This is necessary so that Telstra can update their database.
ScottH2155 wrote:I've read that the 4 port wireless DSL2 modems are good for the job
By the sound of it, you'll want a VOIP modem, all-in-one thing. The Netcomm NB9W is exactly this, but I think Exetel have just ceased offering them. The Dynalink RTA1046VW is available via Exetel (this is just a rebranded Netcomm) or alternatively you can just visit a local computer store. Other VOIP enabled ADSL2+ modems are good too (Billion 7401VGP-M, etc).

Lastly, you would order your VOIP service after you have connected as a new Exetel user and you would do so via the online Member Facilities.

ScottH2155

Post by ScottH2155 » Tue Apr 22, 2008 9:13 am

OK, thanks the moving process is clear.

The Voip situation, less so, off to do some research on what to purchase.

ScottH2155

Post by ScottH2155 » Sun Apr 27, 2008 7:02 pm

ah...another moving question.

Is there a way to keep my e-mail running between "cancelling" and "installing" between premisis - the duration will be short - basically I'll have the new app ready for when the Telstra make their move on 2/5.

James D

Post by James D » Sun Apr 27, 2008 7:05 pm

ScottH2155 wrote:ah...another moving question.

Is there a way to keep my e-mail running between "cancelling" and "installing" between premisis - the duration will be short - basically I'll have the new app ready for when the Telstra make their move on 2/5.
Please email the details to provisioning@exetel.com.au with the details of the old and new and the request to keep the email open.

ScottH2155

Post by ScottH2155 » Sun Apr 27, 2008 8:08 pm

Thanks James - appreciate the advice.

ScottH2155

Post by ScottH2155 » Sun Apr 27, 2008 8:40 pm

hahaha, I'm feeling like a newbie...you've added too many options to your web site since I last moved house.

I found on the user facilities - the option to relocate my service (ADSL/Move ADSL service to a new location). Is this relevant as I'm moving from DSL1 (TELJ) to DSL2 (INCPhoneB)?

I do know I will be on the same exchange and have the same number.
I do know when Telstra will do their thing.

I see my line must be active at the time of relocation, so if I fill this out on the day Telstra makes their change of service - then it'll kick off? (plus e-mail provisioning to keep my e-mail alive).