"Shaped" Plan Option

Old, inactive threads
ForumAdmin

"Shaped" Plan Option

Post by ForumAdmin » Tue Apr 08, 2008 12:38 pm

There were several mentions/requests for "shaped" plans in the previous threads on new plans but as this is not a 'new' plan I thought it best to start a separate thread.

Exetel could offer the option of "shaping" after any plan's peak allowance and off peak allowance has been reached in a number of ways.

1) It could be selected on the 1st of each month that for that month, and all subsequent months, until changed by the user that after peak quota is used all subsequent access is via a reduced download of 64kbps.

2) It could be activated by directing the customer to a 'blocked page' that says "you have reached your quota - select either a 'shaped' service or agree to pay $3.00 per gb for downloads from now onwards.

In option 2 it could be done on the basis of requiring a pre-payment for a 'block' of 5 or 10 gbs before the service is blocked again giving the customer the option of paying for more downloads or opting for a "shaped" service.

An Exetel provided VoIP service wouldn't be affected by this as the traffic would only be shaped on the 'other side' of Exetel's PoP with VoIP traffic being carried on an internal Exetel service.

Any thoughts are welcome.
Last edited by ForumAdmin on Tue Apr 08, 2008 12:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jonno

Post by jonno » Tue Apr 08, 2008 12:52 pm

i like the look of option (2), but consideration would need to be given as to what the "default" behaviour was - if someone hits their quota whilst making a (non-exetel) VOIP call they can't very well be given a "whaddya want to do?" screen

MikeTurner

Post by MikeTurner » Tue Apr 08, 2008 12:53 pm

Would data via the p2p data bank also be shaped?

davewantsmoore

Post by davewantsmoore » Tue Apr 08, 2008 12:55 pm

"An Exetel provided VoIP service wouldn't be affected by this as the traffic would only be shaped on the 'other side' of Exetel
s PoP with VoIP traffic being carried on an internal Exetel service. "

(slightly off-topic perhaps) how does this relate to access to hosts like mirror.exetel.com.au

does this mean that if a users elects to have their connection shaped, that connections to mirror.exetel etc. will be full speed ?!

that would be a rather large win for me personally.

Cexitime

Post by Cexitime » Tue Apr 08, 2008 12:56 pm

I like this idea :)

ForumAdmin

Post by ForumAdmin » Tue Apr 08, 2008 12:56 pm

MikeTurner wrote:Would data via the p2p data bank also be shaped?
I don't know how much 'trouble' we want to go with in the core network.

Assume yes, all downloads would be shaped, for the time being.

rav0
Location: Hoxton Park, NSW, Australia, Earth, Solar System, Orion Arm, Milky Way

Post by rav0 » Tue Apr 08, 2008 12:57 pm

Option 2 seems decent, but not with pre-payment of blocks of usage.

It would be nice to be able to change what you choose during the month. For example, a user could reach their limit in 15 days, and choose to be shaped, but then want fast internet access for the last week of the month to do an assignment (and be willing to pay $3 per GB for their full plan speed.

Finally, 64 kbps is slow. A shaped speed of 128 kbps would be nicer, or even 192 kbps (this may be the fastest shaping speed in Australia, which would be a cool selling point, it's certainly better than Telstra or Optus).

LC

Post by LC » Tue Apr 08, 2008 12:59 pm

i prefer option 2 and agreeing to pay the extra for downloads, which would be added to the bill. I don't see the point of requiring prepayment/ Too much hassle.

bigditty

Post by bigditty » Tue Apr 08, 2008 1:00 pm

Option 2 sounds like the go.

Legend

Re: "Shaped" Plan Option

Post by Legend » Tue Apr 08, 2008 1:03 pm

ForumAdmin wrote:2) It could be activated by directing the customer to a 'blocked page' that says "you have reached your quota - select either a 'shaped' service or agree to pay $3.00 per gb for downloads from now onwards.

In option 2 it could be done on the basis of requiring a pre-payment for a 'block' of 5 or 10 gbs before the service is blocked again giving the customer the option of paying for more downloads or opting for a "shaped" service.
I quite like this idea although I don't see the point of pre-paying unless the cost is much lower than $3/GB.
Last edited by Legend on Tue Apr 08, 2008 1:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Craig Ballard

Post by Craig Ballard » Tue Apr 08, 2008 1:03 pm

I like Option 1 simple because the majority of users wouldn't want to go over there limit. Also I think this should be set to a default to 'shaped'

For the expert user that wants to download more than the quota then they can go and change this setting to allow more.

It's always easier for users who know what they are doing to change settings than the ones who don't

Thats my thoughts.

Craig

toast

Post by toast » Tue Apr 08, 2008 1:05 pm

Dave and Mike, I don't speak for exetel, but I would imagine that because you currently get charged for all traffic over your limit mirrors included, then you would also get shaped for that content.

I applaud you exetel for asking your customers what they want. I've seen many people in the whirlpool forum ask ISPs to give them the option of not being shaped and paying more for a block of gbs. Well done for even considering it.

If you're considering these sorts of things, my opinion would be to allow customers to be able to set a default in their user settings.

I believe the safer option would be to shape customers by default, and then in the user settings allow customers to choose not being shaped as their default option, as long as you spell out the consequences.

Would the pre-pay blocks apply in both peak and off-peak?

Winston

Post by Winston » Tue Apr 08, 2008 1:05 pm

I highly support shaping. To stop it from being abused, Internode had a policy of monitoring accounts that downloaded more than a few gig of data while shaped.

I would prefer a premanent system of selecting shaping or not shaping, rather than having to select it when you hit your account download limit.

Let's get the ball rolling guys. :D

Chubba

Post by Chubba » Tue Apr 08, 2008 1:07 pm

rav0 wrote:Option 2 seems decent, but not with pre-payment of blocks of usage.

It would be nice to be able to change what you choose during the month. For example, a user could reach their limit in 15 days, and choose to be shaped, but then want fast internet access for the last week of the month to do an assignment (and be willing to pay $3 per GB for their full plan speed.

Finally, 64 kbps is slow. A shaped speed of 128 kbps would be nicer, or even 192 kbps (this may be the fastest shaping speed in Australia, which would be a cool selling point, it's certainly better than Telstra or Optus).
2nd that

Alcor1

Post by Alcor1 » Tue Apr 08, 2008 1:08 pm

How about five options:

1. paid peak, paid off-peak no block page
2. paid peak, paid off-peak with block page
3. paid peak, shaped off-peak
4. shaped peak, shaped off-peak
5. like 4, but once off-peak allowance is exhausted, peak allowance is used during off-peak, if available, until exhausted

Ditto, for somewhat faster shaping speed. Don't know if this is getting to fancy, but how about tiered shaping speeds! :D
Last edited by Alcor1 on Tue Apr 08, 2008 1:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.