"Shaped" Plan Option

Old, inactive threads
Craig Ballard

Post by Craig Ballard » Tue Apr 08, 2008 1:09 pm

If you went over your limit in one of the time slots (i.e off peak) would you be shaped on both?

toast

Post by toast » Tue Apr 08, 2008 1:11 pm

rav0 wrote:Finally, 64 kbps is slow. A shaped speed of 128 kbps would be nicer, or even 192 kbps (this may be the fastest shaping speed in Australia, which would be a cool selling point, it's certainly better than Telstra or Optus).
I think the point of shaping is to give the customer the hint that perhaps they should consider a plan with more quota.

Downloading at 192kb would get you ~1.5gb / day. Exetel will normally charged $4.5 for that.

I think that ISPs choose 64K because it allows customers to browse web pages and get email without much hassle, but restricting downloading media content.

marrow

Post by marrow » Tue Apr 08, 2008 1:13 pm

Alcor1 wrote:How about five options:

1. paid peak, paid off-peak no block page
2. paid peak, paid off-peak with block page
3. paid peak, shaped off-peak
4. shaped peak, shaped off-peak
5. like 4, but once off-peak allowance is exhausted, peak allowance is used during off-peak, if available, until exhausted

Ditto, for somewhat faster shaping speed. Don't know if this is getting to fancy, but how about tiered shaping speeds! :D

LOL im confused

shaping hmm sounds good

exetel is great for asking customers ideas thanks exetel

i dont mind either way

kogi

Post by kogi » Tue Apr 08, 2008 1:14 pm

I prefer (1). I would hate any download to be interrupted while I was afk.

kogi

cosjav

Post by cosjav » Tue Apr 08, 2008 1:16 pm

I prefer option 1 too, its simple and provides users with a great option once a month...

With option 2 how would the block screen present options to the user? It should require an exetel login in my opinion since authority like this shouldnt be given to everyone using the internet in the household... In any event I prefer option 1 :)

Affinity

Post by Affinity » Tue Apr 08, 2008 1:17 pm

I prefer option 1, but with shaping at 128kbps if possible, even if it has to cost $5 more per month for higher shaping as an option.

pampo

Post by pampo » Tue Apr 08, 2008 1:20 pm

Shaping sounds great! Its one of the things I've wanted from Exetel since I joined.
rav0 wrote:Option 2 seems decent, but not with pre-payment of blocks of usage.

It would be nice to be able to change what you choose during the month. For example, a user could reach their limit in 15 days, and choose to be shaped, but then want fast internet access for the last week of the month to do an assignment (and be willing to pay $3 per GB for their full plan speed.

Finally, 64 kbps is slow. A shaped speed of 128 kbps would be nicer, or even 192 kbps (this may be the fastest shaping speed in Australia, which would be a cool selling point, it's certainly better than Telstra or Optus).
I completely agree rav0. Option 2 without pre-paid blocks of usage is the way to go. Also agree with the shaping speed, 128 would be great! I'm in 1.5Mb so 128k would seem fitting. So perhaps the shaped speed could be a percentage of your full speed.

One suggestion - maybe you could combine both options. So you can select an automated Option 2 from your account settings, or a Manual setting. This way, on the Manual setting, the user is prompted for the shaping choice, and on the automated setting, their response is selected automatically from what they choose in their account settings. Hope this makes sense. :)

the_aph

Thank you!

Post by the_aph » Tue Apr 08, 2008 1:21 pm

Thank you for looking into my suggestion.

I believe that either option is a step in the right direction. I would suggest taking a mixture of both. In the member Facilities have the following options:

1. don't cap (when reached quota)
2. cap (when reached quota)
3. display block page (when reached quota)

This way, if you setup a connection for a less tech savvy person you can choose to always cap, but those that know what they're doing can choose from the other options.

Looking forward to recommending your services.

Thanks again,
Rob

magenb

Re: "Shaped" Plan Option

Post by magenb » Tue Apr 08, 2008 1:38 pm

ForumAdmin wrote: 2) It could be activated by directing the customer to a 'blocked page' that says "you have reached your quota - select either a 'shaped' service or agree to pay $3.00 per gb for downloads from now onwards.

In option 2 it could be done on the basis of requiring a pre-payment for a 'block' of 5 or 10 gbs before the service is blocked again giving the customer the option of paying for more downloads or opting for a "shaped" service.
paying for 5-10GB blocks would then create a new problem as in if a customer pays for 5 or 10 GB and doesn't use it all, does it roll over to the next month?

The blocked page would also cause problems for online gaming, I'd prefer to simply see an e-mail at 90% useage. So maybe 3 options,
1) Shaped
2) Blocked
3) Continue at normal charges.

GaryG

Post by GaryG » Tue Apr 08, 2008 1:39 pm

Personally I have no interest in shaping and I wonder what the real demand is or whether it is just a vocal minority.

But in the end the viability of it is down to Exetel.

Having said all that I think the first option is the better one and is also consistent with other plan changes that Exetel offers.

roby

Post by roby » Tue Apr 08, 2008 1:44 pm

I like option 1 the best in shaping the speed

ajarm1

Post by ajarm1 » Tue Apr 08, 2008 1:44 pm

I like the idea of shaping, particularly if we get to choose to shape peak or off-peak depending on our needs (for instance, I'd like to be able to shape off-peak but keep paying for peak usage).

Buying data blocks is also a good idea, but I think it would be best if we could say how much we want to buy, and you only pay for what you use.

For instance, if I know I'm downloading something that is going to bring me to 2.5GB over my limit, I could buy a 4GB block in case it goes a bit over 3GB, but it would only charge me up to 3GB if that's all that I use.

Certainly wouldn't seem right that we would pay for 5GB ($15) if we only needed that extra 1-2GB and the rest is wasted.

AT

Post by AT » Tue Apr 08, 2008 1:49 pm

ajarm1 wrote:For instance, if I know I'm downloading something that is going to bring me to 2.5GB over my limit, I could buy a 4GB block in case it goes a bit over 3GB, but it would only charge me up to 3GB if that's all that I use.

Certainly wouldn't seem right that we would pay for 5GB ($15) if we only needed that extra 1-2GB and the rest is wasted.
Would these "credits" or blocks carry over to be used next month? Say if you purchased 5gb and only used 2 this month, 3 would be left to use in subsequent months?

cosjav

Post by cosjav » Tue Apr 08, 2008 1:55 pm

If you guys do implement this I think you will become one of the most flexible ISPs that I have seen :D

Edit: removed unnecessary repeated statement..
Last edited by cosjav on Tue Apr 08, 2008 1:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.

cruhle

Post by cruhle » Tue Apr 08, 2008 1:56 pm

I like Option 2

2) It could be activated by directing the customer to a 'blocked page' that says "you have reached your quota - select either a 'shaped' service or agree to pay $3.00 per gb for downloads from now onwards". In option 2 it could be done on the basis of requiring a pre-payment for a 'block' of 5 or 10 gbs before the service is blocked again giving the customer the option of paying for more downloads or opting for a "shaped" service.

- But I don't really see the point of prepaying. Wouldn't acknowledgement on the 'blocked page' w page be suffice to the extra Gb charge.