"Shaped" Plan Option

Old, inactive threads
bcarroll

Post by bcarroll » Tue Apr 08, 2008 3:11 pm

Maybe the "pre-paying" is the wrong way to think of this. I think I understand what ForumAdmins idea is - rather than saying I will accept the costs of exess usage you would say option1) Throttle, option 2) I accept to pay for 1, 2, 5, 10 etc gigs of excess, or option 3) I will pay for unlimited excess.

That way people can control what they spend on excess.
Personally I dont think its such a big deal, we have been operating in the paid excess" model for ever and its not like we have Bigpond "punishing" over data charges.

Mort

Post by Mort » Tue Apr 08, 2008 3:14 pm

I'm not concerned about the pre-pay or not option, I'm concerned about my connection not permitting any more traffic until I have selected an option!

As long as I can set it once in the User Control Panel or somewhere and never need to worry about my service being interupted then I'm happy.
As we know, there are known knowns. There are things we know we know. We also know there are known unknowns. That is to say we know there are some things we do not know. But there are also unknown unknowns, the ones we don't know we don't know.

Craig Ballard

Post by Craig Ballard » Tue Apr 08, 2008 3:17 pm

It seems that everyone wants it simple but making it complicated at the same time.. lol

This is what I see from whats going on to make it simple,

in the users admin area here's what the options might be,

Option 1 - Shaped when quota is reached (By Default)
Option 2 - No Shaping Pay as you go $3 per GB (Like it is now)

Also when shaped I believe it should be 64k, your shaped. If you want faster pay for it by choosing option 2.

Simple. :)

Ha my 2c worth...

AT

Post by AT » Tue Apr 08, 2008 3:33 pm

Leaning towards Option 1, select excess or shaping. Simple, no pre-paying blocks of data etc. And potential customers who like the prices you have, but maybe don't want to have the excess fees, will be happy to select the shaping option.

Craig Ballard

Post by Craig Ballard » Tue Apr 08, 2008 3:42 pm

Craig Ballard wrote:
in the users admin area here's what the options might be,

Option 1 - Shaped when quota is reached (By Default)
Option 2 - No Shaping Pay as you go $3 per GB (Like it is now)
Both options should be in the users admin area and you could change them when you want through out the month if needed.

peteru

Post by peteru » Tue Apr 08, 2008 3:44 pm

I would like to see a system that has the least potential for interfering with unattended installations or unexpected results. To that extent I would propose this:
  • Users get to choose whether they want the default to be pay-for-excess or shape-for-excess. (Same as original option 1)
  • A user should have the option to switch between pay-for-excess and shape-for-excess at any time, effective immediately. When you switch between shape-for-excess and pay-for-excess, the entire month in which the switch occurs will be treated as pay-for-excess. (This is to prevent abuse.)
Users who choose pay-for-excess will effectively get the same plan as what we have now. I see myself in this category, since I am perfectly capable of monitoring my usage and deciding whether additional traffic is worth the expense.

Users who choose shape-for-excess will have a plan that prevents unexpected expenditure, but will not "break" their connection if they go over the limit. The only side-effect of excess usage is slowing down of the connection, which is less disruptive than a forced redirection. If the slow down is an issue for the customer, they have an immediate fix by paying for excess to restore full speed.

I see this as a fair and flexible solution that should be relatively simple to implement, without the need to redirect traffic.

Other optional features that Exetel could implement to help users:
  1. Send email messages when quota is almost used up.
  2. Send an SMS message when shape-for-excess starts due to going over quota.
  3. Send an SMS message when pay-for-excess starts due to going over quota.
These options would help users to be vigilant of the state of their connection.

Col

Post by Col » Tue Apr 08, 2008 3:44 pm

I think Option 1 would have to be the way to go as some people would not like the interruption every month on their service. Also there comes the issue of if the person currently using the internet when the page appears has the authority to actually accept added excess fees.

Just create a page in the User Facilities for people to select if they want to be shaped or not. However I would suggest the ability of being able to select shaping of peak and off-peak separately, and that going over one limit and triggering shaping wont affect the other period.

I do like the idea suggested earlier in the thread to allow customers to shape their plan before they even get to their limit, voluntarily. I would also like to suggest the ability of allowing people to select their own limit where they will get shaped and not just have it being their plan's download allowance. For example, John Doe's peak allowance is 8GB and he doesn't mind going over his limit, keeping his speed and paying for it up to 2GB, but after that he would want it shaped.

64kb is ok, but not a standout when it comes to other ISP's shaping speeds. However if you were to increase it to 128kb or something then I think you would need to tier it as suggested earlier so that it gets slower the more they download while being shaped... to avoid abuse. Something like 128kb for the first GB during shaping then 64kb thereafter, just so people can adapt to 64kb/s.
Last edited by Col on Tue Apr 08, 2008 4:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.

DonkyKong

Post by DonkyKong » Tue Apr 08, 2008 3:45 pm

I like the idea of been able to turn shaping on and off.

BZ

Exetel, The Innovator, not the immitator

Post by BZ » Tue Apr 08, 2008 3:54 pm

I would say the following setup would be ideal

* keep peak & off-peak shaping separate. IE only shape peak at the peak limit and off-peak at the off-peak limit (as already mentioned in this thread)

* give users the option to set a default option in their control panel.
* allow users to change their selection at any time.
* Give users to set the following options on either peak or offpeak;
1) full speed @ $3/gb
2) Shaped @ 64kbps - free
3) Shaped @ 512kbps @ $1.50/gb
4) Blocked with access only to User Control Panel

I also agree with a previous comment that these settings should be password protected. if placed in the users control panel that should be okay.

stubbers

Post by stubbers » Tue Apr 08, 2008 4:13 pm

Just give us three options on the website...

1 - Shaping, no charges over quota but shaped to 64kbps, abuse will bring penalties
2 - No shaping, over use is charged automatically like now
3 - Warning when you hit quota, you can pay for data or be shaped

That means that everyone will be happy. I STRONGLY support shaping because it allows me to get on with my business for the rest of the month even though I squandered my limit on stuff!

Cheers,
Stubbers

cryptwizard

Post by cryptwizard » Tue Apr 08, 2008 4:18 pm

I think definitely NOT prepaid "blocks" and access to the internet should not be blocked.

The default option should be to be shaped and you can activate excess usage charges in the User Facilities.

While I am here, I would like to make the suggestion that excess usage should be pro-rated for part of a GB instead of being charged for the whole GB.
Last edited by cryptwizard on Tue Apr 08, 2008 4:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

paul2001

Re: Exetel, The Innovator, not the immitator

Post by paul2001 » Tue Apr 08, 2008 4:19 pm

BZ wrote: 3) Shaped @ 512kbps @ $1.50/gb
Good idea, can't use voip (not exetel) if sharped to 64kbps.

cosjav

Post by cosjav » Tue Apr 08, 2008 4:20 pm

peteru wrote:
  • A user should have the option to switch between pay-for-excess and shape-for-excess at any time, effective immediately. When you switch between shape-for-excess and pay-for-excess, the entire month in which the switch occurs will be treated as pay-for-excess. (This is to prevent abuse.)
This is would overcomplicate things for the billing system.... Plus it would increase the possibility for billing related support calls because of confusion... It makes much more sense to synchronise such a change with when the customer is billed...

PM

Post by PM » Tue Apr 08, 2008 4:32 pm

I'm happy with the peak as it is at the moment, but with a warning email (or SMS) at around 95% of the peak quota used. Then the usual $3 GB over.

I'd also like an option of reducing the off peak allowance at say $2 per 10GB off your monthly cost, down to a minimum of 10GB. So a potential monthly saving of $8. The default 48GB could be rounded up to 50 GB to keep the symmetry. Once that 10GB (minumum) or whatever selected is exceeded, then you are charged $3 per GB for excess off peak as for your excess peak usage. Again an email (or SMS) warning you of 95% off peak used.

These options would make it a little fairer for non heavy users and save them a few dollars, but give Exetel some income from heavy users.

I think this would be a fair user pays system, putting some responsibility back on the user, with appropriate warning, but also encouraging moderation.

Paul
Last edited by PM on Tue Apr 08, 2008 4:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Col

Re: Exetel, The Innovator, not the immitator

Post by Col » Tue Apr 08, 2008 4:35 pm

BZ wrote: 3) Shaped @ 512kbps @ $1.50/gb
That will be a bit messy though. What would stop people on 512/128 or even 256/64 plans switching to this option to get 512kb/s and only pay 1/2 price for the downloads?
Last edited by Col on Tue Apr 08, 2008 4:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.