"Shaped" Plan Option

Old, inactive threads
cosjav

Post by cosjav » Tue Apr 08, 2008 4:36 pm

What im interested in is, does the shaping apply to the actual limit that was exceeded? In other words, if a user exceeds their peak usage of (for example) 2gigs, are they shaped only during peak time and still have full speed during their off-peak (of which they have not yet used up the 48gig allowance)? Or are they shaped for the entire time until the end of the month?

neb

Post by neb » Tue Apr 08, 2008 5:00 pm

cosjav wrote:What im interested in is, does the shaping apply to the actual limit that was exceeded? In other words, if a user exceeds their peak usage of (for example) 2gigs, are they shaped only during peak time and still have full speed during their off-peak (of which they have not yet used up the 48gig allowance)? Or are they shaped for the entire time until the end of the month?
I'd imagine it would be for the period concerned, Westnet do this already so I can't see why Exetel wouldn't.

sh0nky

Re: Exetel, The Innovator, not the immitator

Post by sh0nky » Tue Apr 08, 2008 5:01 pm

Col wrote:
BZ wrote: 3) Shaped @ 512kbps @ $1.50/gb
That will be a bit messy though. What would stop people on 512/128 or even 256/64 plans switching to this option to get 512kb/s and only pay 1/2 price for the downloads?
My thoughts exactly... Def not 512kb/s, perhaps 128 kb/s at the most. Anything more is not really going to stop excess quota (which is the idea if you dont want to pay $3 per GB) . You can still download plenty on 512 kb/s and that would be defeating the purpose of the shaping.

Mick Dundee

Post by Mick Dundee » Tue Apr 08, 2008 5:38 pm

Prefer this option.

It could be activated by directing the customer to a 'blocked page' that says "you have reached your quota - select either a 'shaped' service or agree to pay $3.00 per gb for downloads from now onwards".

Affinity

Post by Affinity » Tue Apr 08, 2008 6:11 pm

PM wrote:I'm happy with the peak as it is at the moment, but with a warning email (or SMS) at around 95% of the peak quota used. Then the usual $3 GB over.

I'd also like an option of reducing the off peak allowance at say $2 per 10GB off your monthly cost, down to a minimum of 10GB. So a potential monthly saving of $8. The default 48GB could be rounded up to 50 GB to keep the symmetry. Once that 10GB (minumum) or whatever selected is exceeded, then you are charged $3 per GB for excess off peak as for your excess peak usage. Again an email (or SMS) warning you of 95% off peak used.

These options would make it a little fairer for non heavy users and save them a few dollars, but give Exetel some income from heavy users.
The SMS part of your idea is good, but I would think that an SMS at 75%, 85%, 90% and 95% would be handy.

The "problem" with Off Peak is that it is essentially a 'bonus'... port costs would not allow any possibility of further discounting the price even if the off peak data isn't required.

MellowFellow

Post by MellowFellow » Tue Apr 08, 2008 6:30 pm

When I chose exetel as my ISP, one of the criteria was to have an uninterrupted connection. I came from Optus and their shaping always drove me up the wall. I've only exceeded my limit a few times while on exetel but was glad to pay the fee at the end of the month to ensure my connection stayed pumping.

That said, I really don't mind if exetel implements shaping in some form, as long as I can permanently turn it off and keep the behaviour we currently get.

wongfre

Post by wongfre » Tue Apr 08, 2008 6:39 pm

Prefer Mick Dundee's suggestion:
[i]Prefer this option.

It could be activated by directing the customer to a 'blocked page' that says "you have reached your quota - select either a 'shaped' service or agree to pay $3.00 per gb for downloads from now onwards".[/i]

I don't like the option of prepaying for a block of 3 or 5 GByte, better to pay for what I actually used.

Fred

alburyman

Post by alburyman » Tue Apr 08, 2008 6:39 pm

this is an excellent idea. that way the leechers will accept the responsibility of their actions!

daza

Post by daza » Tue Apr 08, 2008 6:44 pm

I think shaping in any form would be absolutely excellent. Preferably it would be isolated to peak or off-peak, so even if we exceed peak we could use off-peak at unshaped speeds.

The idea of being forced to a page where you have "$3/GB or 64k shaped" is a great idea too. I feel I would still likely go for $3/GB but it is always great to have a choice.

A little OT but - Exetel, I must commend you for reaching out to your customers and offering them exactly what they want. The Web-to-SMS was a great idea and the recent quota bumps as well as removing the minimum monthly spend on VoIP is fantastic (never considered Exe VoIP when it had the minimum spend, now I'm signing up to it ASAP). Even things like the proactive attitude towards greenhouse emissions. The calling cards are fantastic too, when I run out of my current ones I will definitely be buying some.

I'm just glad I can have 1 company manage all of my communications :)

*ss kissing over!

rusty100

Post by rusty100 » Tue Apr 08, 2008 6:48 pm

I support a shaping option.

I would just choose permanent shaping

I think Exetel is great

Cheers

Affinity

Post by Affinity » Tue Apr 08, 2008 6:56 pm

A lack of a shaping OPTION has always been a concern for some potential customers. The operative word here is obviously OPTION.

Most people do not seem to want to interfere (much) with the current plan features/options in ways that haven't already been considered. However with extra shaping options being made available to broaden customer choice, it is a WIN/WIN situation.

Definitely don't like the idea of anybody being blocked from access and having to act on a screen to rectify the "problem".... especially given that it may not be as easy to fix if you are not home (or on site as the case may be) to deal with it. So whilst this may be a suitable option for some, it definitely should not be the default behaviour.

scratchsteel

Post by scratchsteel » Tue Apr 08, 2008 8:16 pm

However it is done, i would like to put in my vote for giving customers the choice of shaped or $3 per GB

Even when most months I would be happy to be shaped if I went over my limit, there may be the odd time i would rather pay the money for extra.

This said if I had to choose one or the other, it would DEFINITELY be shaped downloads.

(and preferably as a choice within the member page, NOT directing to a webpage to choose)

ForumAdmin

Post by ForumAdmin » Tue Apr 08, 2008 8:21 pm

Thank you for the many and various replies.

It obviously isn't possible to do everything that has been suggested.

On balance, and it isn't final, the easiest way of meeting almost all situations is to:

1) Announce that all plans have the ability to be shaped at the user's request rather than to automatically incur charges beyond the pan's included peak and off peak downloads.

2) Leave the default as 'charged in both as that is the way the plans are presented to all current users and on the web site pricing pages.

3) Advise all current customers that they can select either or both Peak and Off Peak to "shaped" via a set up page in the Exetel User Facilities.

4) Allow that selection to be changed once a month for the following month from the same page in the User Facilites.

As I said, this isn't final but a summary of what's easily possible from the sugestions currently made.

Affinity

Post by Affinity » Tue Apr 08, 2008 8:29 pm

That all sounds good with the exception of 4. I would prefer an option to immediate lift the shaping and to pay for excess downloads at full speed during a month and not only as a change for the following month.

ForumAdmin

Post by ForumAdmin » Tue Apr 08, 2008 8:30 pm

Affinity wrote:That all sounds good with the exception of 4. I would prefer an option to immediate lift the shaping and to pay for excess downloads at full speed during a month and not only as a change for the following month.
That's too hard.