"Shaped" Plan Option

Old, inactive threads
robytseng

Post by robytseng » Fri Apr 11, 2008 10:40 am

ForumAdmin wrote:We have decided to offer the option of either paying for excess usage or having the bandwidth constrained after the included allowance has been reached for all current plans.

This will apply to both peak and off peak plan inclusions and can be selected/deselected by each customer at any time - UP TO THE TIME THE PLAN ALLOWANCES HAVE BEEN REACHED.

We will add a page in the Exetel User Facilities that has a short explanation of the process and two lines:

12 noon to 12 Midnight [ ] Pay $3.00 per gb for excess [ ] "Shape Once Allowance has been reached

12 midnight to 12 Noon [ ] Pay $3.00 per gb for excess [ ] "Shape Once Allowance has been reached

The 'default' will be set as paid option for both as that is the way all current plans are set up and the way each customer contracted for them.

So no customer has to make any change to keep their current plan operating exactly the way it is now.
Great so when are you going to add this page? I want to switch to shaping before I forget! :)

millisk

Post by millisk » Fri Apr 11, 2008 10:46 am

:D Thanks for offering this change. It will make management of my account easier as I have multiple users.
Will I have to select the shaping option each month, or will the shaping option, once selected, carry over to subsequent months until I change it?
Obviously, a set and forget option would be the best.
I understand the decision to make the default option to pay a charge for excess usage.

ForumAdmin

Post by ForumAdmin » Fri Apr 11, 2008 10:57 am

millisk wrote:
Will I have to select the shaping option each month, or will the shaping option, once selected, carry over to subsequent months until I change it?
Obviously, a set and forget option would be the best.
You can 'set and forget' with the option you selected remaining in place until you decide to change it.

ForumAdmin

Post by ForumAdmin » Fri Apr 11, 2008 10:58 am

robytseng wrote:
Great so when are you going to add this page? I want to switch to shaping before I forget! :)
The page will be added by the end of April.

When it is available in the user facilities an email will be sent to every Exetel customer advising them of the new option.

fester

Post by fester » Fri Apr 11, 2008 11:28 am

ForumAdmin wrote:
flak wrote:
ForumAdmin wrote:We have decided to offer the option...
What are the shaping speeds?
64 kbps
and exetel voip is not effected correct?

roby

Post by roby » Fri Apr 11, 2008 12:18 pm

Great move and great ideas

Midnight Rider

Post by Midnight Rider » Fri Apr 11, 2008 1:21 pm

Two points which I would like clarified...

1) Is it correct that shaping will not affect Exetel-provided VoIP services?

2) Off-peak shaping will only apply after 48gb has been reached. Correct?

3) Are there any options for Bundled ADSL1 users?

I know these are probably obvious, but I just want to be absolutely sure of my facts.

ForumAdmin

Post by ForumAdmin » Fri Apr 11, 2008 1:34 pm

Midnight Rider wrote:Two points which I would like clarified...

I know these are probably obvious, but I just want to be absolutely sure of my facts.
1) It's highly likely that will be the case - but not certain pending a final review of the methodology.

2) Yes.

3) Not at the moment. The 'bundled plans' are still be finalised - more speed options more ADSL types.

vinni30

Post by vinni30 » Fri Apr 11, 2008 1:49 pm

another clarification. if you chose the shaping option, you account will only be shaped for the remainder of that month. come the 1st of the new month, speeds will be at normal.

ForumAdmin

Post by ForumAdmin » Fri Apr 11, 2008 1:54 pm

vinni30 wrote:another clarification. if you chose the shaping option, you account will only be shaped for the remainder of that month. come the 1st of the new month, speeds will be at normal.
The option you select for either period will remain selected until you change it.

It will not be 're-set' for you by Exetel.

ottyacat

Post by ottyacat » Fri Apr 11, 2008 1:58 pm

I think this is a great new option / breakthrough, whilst i prefer to pay the extra for a full speeds, i know a few people who's only reason for not joining Exetel was due to no shaping, time to get them to churn :)

To have both is brilliant.

Great work Exetel.

CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by CoreyPlover » Fri Apr 11, 2008 4:41 pm

vinni30 wrote:another clarification. if you chose the shaping option, you account will only be shaped for the remainder of that month. come the 1st of the new month, speeds will be at normal.
That is correct vinni. The shaping options are only enforced when your peak or off-peak downloads are in excess of the nominated levels. Since these download quotas are reset at the beginning of each month you are automatically unshaped at the beginning of each month.

Spinb

Post by Spinb » Fri Apr 11, 2008 6:37 pm

ForumAdmin wrote:
Midnight Rider wrote:Two points which I would like clarified...

1) It's highly likely that will be the case - but not certain pending a final review of the methodology.
This would be inportant to me, or the ability to start shaping earlier, maybe a user selectable limit to start at.

daza

Post by daza » Fri Apr 11, 2008 6:48 pm

Just for clarification purposes:

If we opt to be shaped to 64k AND we download 1GB while shaped, will we still incur a $3 per GB charge (if over allotted peak quota)? Or is any quota downloaded during the shaped period uncounted?

Great to see this become a reality!

croziac

Post by croziac » Fri Apr 11, 2008 6:50 pm

Another query.

eg.
If I go over in the Offpeak period am I only shaped in that period or am I shaped in both Offpeak and the Peak periods?

and vice versa.

Thanks,
Croziac