"Shaped" Plan Option

Old, inactive threads
CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by CoreyPlover » Fri Apr 11, 2008 8:03 pm

daza wrote:If we opt to be shaped to 64k AND we download 1GB while shaped, will we still incur a $3 per GB charge
No. That would defeat the purpose of shaping, wouldn't it? 64kbps would only be equivalent to 10Gb per month tops, so there would either be a conditional restriction imposed on total shaped downloads, or it would otherwise simply be absorbed by the monthly cost. Either way, it would not incur a $/Gb charge.

CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by CoreyPlover » Fri Apr 11, 2008 8:05 pm

croziac wrote:If I go over in the Offpeak period am I only shaped in that period or am I shaped in both Offpeak and the Peak periods?
The intention seems to be to have shaped/charged options for off-peak and peak that act independently of each other. You can even set it so that your excess off-peak downloads are shaped and your excess peak downloads are charged at $3/Gb.

Naturally, if you set both off-peak and peak to be shaped, they would only suffer the 64kbps speed restrictions after each of their respective limits had been breached (so you are only shaped in the period for which you have exceeded your limit)

daza

Post by daza » Fri Apr 11, 2008 11:44 pm

CoreyPlover wrote:
daza wrote:If we opt to be shaped to 64k AND we download 1GB while shaped, will we still incur a $3 per GB charge
No. That would defeat the purpose of shaping, wouldn't it? 64kbps would only be equivalent to 10Gb per month tops, so there would either be a conditional restriction imposed on total shaped downloads, or it would otherwise simply be absorbed by the monthly cost. Either way, it would not incur a $/Gb charge.
To an extent it would defeat the purpose of shaping, but not entirely. If one has already met their monthly allowance then they obviously are struggling to control their usage habits within their set allowance. Slowing the user to 64k will help them from going further overboard.

I only ask because I recall the iiNet (circa 2002) plans which shaped but used a "rolling" quota system where traffic during the shaped period would still count.

Better to ask a silly question now than to find out the hard way later :)

matthewklinko

Post by matthewklinko » Sat Apr 12, 2008 4:32 pm

When shaping mode is enabled, can you still allow, downloads from the P2P cache at full speed, as that is only in the exetel network? Or will everything be limited to 64k? thanks

ForumAdmin

Post by ForumAdmin » Sat Apr 12, 2008 6:09 pm

matthewklinko wrote:When shaping mode is enabled, can you still allow, downloads from the P2P cache at full speed, as that is only in the exetel network? Or will everything be limited to 64k? thanks
Eventually that is the intention but it will not be in place for at least three months.

Col

Post by Col » Sat Apr 12, 2008 6:24 pm

ForumAdmin wrote:
matthewklinko wrote:When shaping mode is enabled, can you still allow, downloads from the P2P cache at full speed, as that is only in the exetel network? Or will everything be limited to 64k? thanks
Eventually that is the intention but it will not be in place for at least three months.
I hate to be a pest but could you please clarify what the intention is.. to shape or not to shape the P2P Cache traffic. Thanks.

neb

Post by neb » Sat Apr 12, 2008 6:41 pm

Col wrote:
ForumAdmin wrote:
I hate to be a pest but could you please clarify what the intention is.. to shape or not to shape the P2P Cache traffic. Thanks.
I think they *should* shape it, afterall its not just internet transit data, its also AGVC (Exetel to user) and backhaul , 1000 users shaped on net but getting full speed off the cache will still impact very seriously the traffic from Exetel to users who are not shaped, making things appear slow, but yet transit net links are under utilised.

smoky

Shaped Service

Post by smoky » Tue Apr 15, 2008 10:07 pm

I like the idea of Number 2 option, as it would not only give you and alternative choice but do what has never happened before, that is you find out when you have reached the limit, whereas before you got a shock when you received the next account.

So, question back, when are we going to know which option is going to be brought into effect?

Keep up the good service Exetel, all is getting better and better.

Cheers
smoky
Eagles may fly, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines

ForumAdmin

Post by ForumAdmin » Wed Apr 16, 2008 7:38 am

Col wrote:
All traffic will be shaped.

ForumAdmin

Re: Shaped Service

Post by ForumAdmin » Wed Apr 16, 2008 7:40 am

smoky wrote:I like the idea of Number 2 option, as it would not only give you and alternative choice but do what has never happened before, that is you find out when you have reached the limit, whereas before you got a shock when you received the next account.

So, question back, when are we going to know which option is going to be brought into effect?

Keep up the good service Exetel, all is getting better and better.

Cheers
smoky
The implementation, scheduled for May 1st 2008, will be:

1) Default setting - no shaping on both

2) User option, at any time, to select shaping on one or both.

3 User option to change back from shaping to charged at any time.

4) Email to customer telling them when they are reaching their limit on either peak or off peak.

Midnight Rider

Post by Midnight Rider » Wed Apr 16, 2008 11:07 am

ForumAdmin wrote:
Including Exetel-provided VoIP???

ForumAdmin

Post by ForumAdmin » Wed Apr 16, 2008 11:19 am

Midnight Rider wrote:
ForumAdmin wrote:
Including Exetel-provided VoIP???
We are fairly confident that won't be the case but it's still being worked on.

DarkLotus

Post by DarkLotus » Sat Apr 19, 2008 12:24 am

Personally i will always opt for paying to stay unshaped, but i think this is a great idea it will encourage people who previously wouldn't join due to fear of excess fees to come on board.

Shaping would be ok, but 64kbps makes games rather unenjoyable same for web surfing.

CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by CoreyPlover » Sat Apr 19, 2008 1:36 am

DarkLotus wrote:Shaping would be ok, but 64kbps makes games rather unenjoyable same for web surfing.
...which is pretty much the exact intention of shaping. It gives you a "usable" internet experience, but defintely not a comfortable one. This make you either change your usage habits or it makes you rethink your priorities and choose between free, slowed internet or charged, fast internet.

Bigling

Option in ADSL when?

Post by Bigling » Sat Apr 19, 2008 9:59 am

When will the option appear under the user settings so that we may change the plan characteristics? I understand that it will be "available" from May 1st, yet will the option (tick this box) appear beforehand?