"Shaped" Plan Option

Old, inactive threads
MJH

Post by MJH » Tue Apr 08, 2008 8:51 pm

ForumAdmin wrote:
Affinity wrote:That all sounds good with the exception of 4. I would prefer an option to immediate lift the shaping and to pay for excess downloads at full speed during a month and not only as a change for the following month.
That's too hard.
What about changing between shaped and not shaped for the next day as I assume it is too hard to do it immediately due to trying to calculate the data being charged or not. From the usage graphs you could create extra columns to record the usage as shaped or not to calculate the charges for non shapped usage.

Great to see exetel always trying to move forward in providing better options for customers.

samarium

Post by samarium » Tue Apr 08, 2008 9:01 pm

While some people might like this option, I want to be able to continue to just get charged extra if I go over quota.

This should not be an interactive choice, via a page redirect, as that presupposes that I'm web browsing. Which is often not the case.

User options page via the exetel portal would be place to select this option.

I do like the warning emails that you send.

Affinity

Post by Affinity » Tue Apr 08, 2008 9:05 pm

Couldn't it be done along the same lines as the "Fair Go" option?

Reading the Fair Go details, you can apply up to 11pm to effect changes from midnight (unless I am mistaken):
https://www.exetel.com.au/members/fairp ... ink=link04

cosjav

Post by cosjav » Tue Apr 08, 2008 9:07 pm

MJH wrote: What about changing between shaped and not shaped for the next day as I assume it is too hard to do it immediately due to trying to calculate the data being charged or not. From the usage graphs you could create extra columns to record the usage as shaped or not to calculate the charges for non shapped usage.
There would be significant development time to factor in all possible use-cases for such a feature... Its easy to request something like this and not understand that Exetel would need to invest LOTS more money in development time, testing, support and maintenance just to implement it...

The latest shaping suggestion from Forum Admin is certainly a lot more feasible in terms of effort involved in implementation and still serves the customers interests.

cosjav

Post by cosjav » Tue Apr 08, 2008 9:13 pm

Affinity wrote:Couldn't it be done along the same lines as the "Fair Go" option?

Reading the Fair Go details, you can apply up to 11pm to effect changes from midnight (unless I am mistaken):
https://www.exetel.com.au/members/fairp ... ink=link04
The fair go option, although I'm sure wasnt easy to implement, didnt involve fiddling with the billing system... You'd need significant amounts of dev work and testing cycles before you can make a change that involves peoples money...

I work for a software company and I can vouch for that :D

petestrash

Post by petestrash » Tue Apr 08, 2008 11:19 pm

Is there any reason why the orignally suggested web page option can't be chosen from user facilities?

User Facilities could have the choice of:

1. shaped
2. charge
3. ask me at the limit

These could be chosen and fixed for the next month as proposed.

Then, if the Webpage option was selected it could ask:

1. shaped for the remainer of the month
2. charge for the remainder of the month
3. prepay xGB's

And if possible, if option 3 was chosen and the user runs out again bring the page back up to offer the same 3 options again. I understand from previous posts the this part may not be easily done.

I think this solves most requests and doesn't vary much from what was orignally proposed.

Peter.
Last edited by petestrash on Tue Apr 08, 2008 11:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

petestrash

Post by petestrash » Tue Apr 08, 2008 11:25 pm

samarium wrote:I do like the warning emails that you send.
Not really on subject, but I went over my allowance last month for first time in at least a couple of years, but did not recieve any warning emails from Exetel.

And can't any option in user facilities to enable this.

Peter

azza14

option 2 all the way

Post by azza14 » Tue Apr 08, 2008 11:46 pm

option two sounds great to me. less to interupt my surfing / downloading etc. i would support a cap that is shaped. it is unlikely that i would go over it but would supply such a preventative tool..

money saved is money earned.

3lusiv3

Post by 3lusiv3 » Wed Apr 09, 2008 12:10 am

petestrash wrote: Not really on subject, but I went over my allowance last month for first time in at least a couple of years, but did not recieve any warning emails from Exetel.

And can't any option in user facilities to enable this.
The emails are only sent about off peak quota.

petestrash

Post by petestrash » Wed Apr 09, 2008 12:35 am

3lusiv3 wrote:The emails are only sent about off peak quota.
Cool, I didn't know that. Never exceeded the off peak allowance.

Maybe as part of this new system an email could be sent at 90% & 100% of peak downloads advising users of their usage and options.

Peter.

ForumAdmin

Post by ForumAdmin » Wed Apr 09, 2008 8:41 am

petestrash wrote:
3lusiv3 wrote:The emails are only sent about off peak quota.
Cool, I didn't know that. Never exceeded the off peak allowance.

Maybe as part of this new system an email could be sent at 90% & 100% of peak downloads advising users of their usage and options.

Peter.
That can be done but isn't on the list at the moment.

cdsonic

Post by cdsonic » Wed Apr 09, 2008 9:48 am

I like option 2
Its a bit like internode offers, except they take payment for extra on next invoice. :D

soaper

Post by soaper » Wed Apr 09, 2008 10:46 am

whatever happens i dont, as someone who has gone over peak usage about once in nearly 4 years.......want to have to mess with changing stuff each month.
i just want it to be *set* so i dont have to go in and change unless i expect to do more download

or do a *one off* set up of what i choose to happen if i go over unknowlingly.

and then it stays like that til i change it again

is that what is being suggested???

ForumAdmin

Post by ForumAdmin » Wed Apr 09, 2008 10:57 am

soaper wrote:whatever happens i dont, as someone who has gone over peak usage about once in nearly 4 years.......want to have to mess with changing stuff each month.
i just want it to be *set* so i dont have to go in and change unless i expect to do more download

or do a *one off* set up of what i choose to happen if i go over unknowlingly.

and then it stays like that til i change it again

is that what is being suggested???
Yes - if you don't want either your peak or off peak shaped then you do nothing as pay for excess will be the default as it is what over 50,000 users have today.

If you want to move one or both to shaped for a month - or longer - then you go to the User Facilities and click either or both of two boxes.

If you want to move back to paying for excess then you do the reverse.

All selections stay the way you select them until you decide to change them.

cosjav

Post by cosjav » Wed Apr 09, 2008 11:01 am

When do u reckon this feature will be implemented and ready for use?