UNKNOWEDGABLE VOIP SEEKER REQUIRES ADVICE

Old, inactive threads
Tafkam

Post by Tafkam » Wed Apr 16, 2008 11:58 am

Cheers :P

Fury

Re: UNKNOWEDGABLE VOIP SEEKER REQUIRES ADVICE

Post by Fury » Sat Apr 26, 2008 10:59 pm

With help from available material here, on the forum , wiki, links and Exetel written guides, I have successfully connected a VOIP service. In the end, I purchased a new wireless router ( Billion Bipac 7401VGP) and although the LAN and WAN were easy to setup, the VOIP wouldn't register. In the end, the settings listed in the original firmware were incorrect ( default) and Exetel Sip no ( as per email ) was manually replaced, instead of selecting Exetel from the dropdown list provided.

Everything seems fine so far. Thanks to all that helped.

I hope this could also help someone else in the future.

basshead

Re:

Post by basshead » Fri Aug 01, 2008 7:10 pm

VoIP Admin wrote:
basshead wrote:
The question I have is, will I still be able to use the Billion router if I choose the ATA method (which plugs into a spare port on the router), as per Fury's 1st option mentioned earlier in this thread?
Yes you can use the existing Billion unit with an ATA, you will need to map the SIP and RTP ports for the ATA.
I'll have to keep scouring the forums on how to do that. I followed the SIP setup instructions in the PDF file for the various ATA (mine's a Zyxel) but I had no luck at first...

After spending most of this afternoon trying to get VOIP working, the best progress I made was by changing firewall port-forwarding in my ADSL modem (port 5060 UDP to ALLOW). Immediately after that I was able to REGISTER the SIP, which then gave me a dialtone (every other attempt failed, and the phone just had engaged signal), but after 8 seconds (regardless of whether a number was dialled or not) it would go to the engaged signal. Then when I tried accessing the modem or ATA webpages, everything failed; even web access (I used to get this occur years ago when trying to get functioning networking and file-sharing between PC & Amiga). Each LAN light on the modem would flash several times simultaneously (what does that mean? An IP address conflict?) The only way to get web access back again was to restart the modem (power-cycle), but I still can't access the ATA webpage, even after restarting (power-cycle) the ATA.

Edit: I just found out why I couldn't login to the ATA - the IP address changed as it's not static in the ARP table?

Although I don't think I've configured the port-forwarding completely yet, I just hope my ADSL1 modem is up to the task of VOIP (through the ATA obviously).

Tafkam

Post by Tafkam » Fri Aug 01, 2008 8:11 pm

Glad you got it up & running. :D I can't speak highly enough of Exetel's VoIP service. My Telstra phone bills are consistently around $20 to $25 now, and then about $5 for VoIP, and I'm using the phone much MUCH more than I used to. It's brilliant & I'm stoked.

Fury

Post by Fury » Fri Aug 01, 2008 9:29 pm

I still have a problem with the "wireless" side of the router, ut I am over the moon about the VOIP and the savings.

It was $40 512 isp $30 for line and regularly $60 to $80 for calls
Now $45 1.5 isp $19.85 line and $10 to $ 15 in calls

That's a big saving per month.

basshead

Post by basshead » Fri Aug 01, 2008 10:17 pm

Tafkam wrote:Glad you got it up & running. :D I can't speak highly enough of Exetel's VoIP service. My Telstra phone bills are consistently around $20 to $25 now, and then about $5 for VoIP, and I'm using the phone much MUCH more than I used to. It's brilliant & I'm stoked.
Who me? I haven't got it up and running yet. Now the orange light for PWR/VoIP has changed back to green (how it was when I first turned the ATA on) and "SIP1 Registration Status" is "Not Register", so it's gone offline for some unknown reason after logging back into the ATA and not even changing anything! I can't get it to Register again (last time I port-forwarded 5060 in the modem firewall to get SIP Registration to work - now that doesn't have any affect, even though the port is forwarded).

Still just as confused as I was many hours ago...

Gidget
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Gidget » Fri Aug 01, 2008 10:26 pm

Have you had a look at this trouble-shooting tool?
http://www.exetel.com.au/voip_wiz.php

Gidget
Log a fault ticket here
or call Exetel VOIP numbers (02) 8030 1000 or 1300 788 141 (log faults 24x7)
Exetel Support Portal

basshead

Post by basshead » Fri Aug 01, 2008 11:12 pm

Gidget wrote:Have you had a look at this trouble-shooting tool?
http://www.exetel.com.au/voip_wiz.php
It didn't tell me anything I didn't already know. I tried all options and didn't get very far.

stevebow

Re: Re:

Post by stevebow » Sat Aug 02, 2008 1:32 am

basshead wrote:Edit: I just found out why I couldn't login to the ATA - the IP address changed as it's not static in the ARP table?
Richard, can I suggest you set up your IP addresses for your router/ATA/PC/Amiga etc. to be static? It makes things a little easier when the addresses don't change on you! :)

Which model router and ATA do you have?

basshead

Post by basshead » Sat Aug 02, 2008 8:21 am

stevebow wrote:
basshead wrote:Edit: I just found out why I couldn't login to the ATA - the IP address changed as it's not static in the ARP table?
Richard, can I suggest you set up your IP addresses for your router/ATA/PC/Amiga etc. to be static? It makes things a little easier when the addresses don't change on you! :)
I tried doing it in the modem and ata but it wont work so i must be doing it wrong.

Which model router and ATA do you have?
zyxel P-2302R

Turning the modem firewall off allows the SIP to Register (but only the same as before; still not make calls, and dial-tone disappears after about 8-10 seconds), but when I re-enable the firewall, the SIP unregisters again. I have 5060 UDP Port Filter added to the modem firewall. Is that different to port-forwarding?

outbush

Post by outbush » Sat Aug 02, 2008 9:27 am

basshead wrote: zyxel P-2302R
Turning the modem firewall off allows the SIP to Register (but only the same as before; still not make calls, and dial-tone disappears after about 8-10 seconds), but when I re-enable the firewall, the SIP unregisters again. I have 5060 UDP Port Filter added to the modem firewall. Is that different to port-forwarding?
I would suggest turning off your modem firewall, setting your ADSL modem to 'Bridge mode', then researching these sites:
http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-re ... ?t=1005403

http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-re ... m?t=995914

and Pages 119-120 of this document
ftp://ftp.zyxel.com/P-2302R/support_not ... R_3.60.pdf

basshead

Post by basshead » Sat Aug 02, 2008 10:38 am

I turned off NAT in the modem (as recommended pages 119-120 of the zyxel pdf document) and lost all internet connectivity, requiring a modem power-cycle to rectify.

I've already seen both those threads and haven't progressed any further than previously mentioned. I have the orange PWR/VOIP light now (I 'm not sure if it was re-entering 5060 port forwarding in the modem or disabling the DHCP in the ATA that solved that), but still get engaged signal after 8 seconds of picking up the phone, regardless of dialling a number or not.

I just started to try out the pfconfig program from portforward.com and both my modem and ata models aren't listed, even after downloading the updated list.

outbush

Post by outbush » Sat Aug 02, 2008 12:15 pm

basshead wrote:......... I have the orange PWR/VOIP light now
Well you have SIP registration. Can you ping the sip server from a computer attached to the lan of the P2302R?
basshead wrote:........ but still get engaged signal after 8 seconds of picking up the phone, regardless of dialling a number or not.
In the advanced voip settings config.. on the P2302R Have you filled in, the outbound proxy= (supplied by Exetel) , and Nat keep alive=120?

Do you have your 741GE set to 'Bridged' mode?
I agree with stevebow "can I suggest you set up your IP addresses for your router/ATA/PC/Amiga etc. to be static? It makes things a little easier when the addresses don't change on you!"

basshead

Post by basshead » Sat Aug 02, 2008 2:45 pm

outbush wrote:
basshead wrote:......... I have the orange PWR/VOIP light now
Well you have SIP registration. Can you ping the sip server from a computer attached to the lan of the P2302R?
I don't have a computer connected to the LAN port of the P2302R - the computers are connected to the LAN ports of the Billion 741GE, and the P2302R WAN port is connected to a LAN port on the 741GE... I can ping 58.96.1.2 and also the P2302R from both the PC and the Amiga.
basshead wrote:........ but still get engaged signal after 8 seconds of picking up the phone, regardless of dialling a number or not.
In the advanced voip settings config.. on the P2302R Have you filled in, the outbound proxy= (supplied by Exetel) , and Nat keep alive=120?

Do you have your 741GE set to 'Bridged' mode?
I tried changing it to bridge mode and ended up losing internet connectivity and had to restart the modem again. I changed the NAT in the P2302R advanced settings to use 58.96.1.2 as the proxy (I was not supplied with details for this from exetel) and this made the orange PWR/VOIP light come on again, but still engaged signal after 8 seconds.
I agree with stevebow "can I suggest you set up your IP addresses for your router/ATA/PC/Amiga etc. to be static? It makes things a little easier when the addresses don't change on you!"
I tried that through the 741GE but it didn't seem to work. Am I supposed to set static IP addresses up in the connection settings in WinXP?

If it helps, the P2302R log is saying that calls are being made out (obviously by dialling, even though the engaged signal occurs after 8 seconds from taking phone off-hook, as mentioned above). Here's an extract of the logfile:

1 08/02/2008 14:45:26 VoIP Call End Phone[1] VOIP-FSM
2 08/02/2008 14:45:26 VoIP Call Start Ph[1] -> 8090XXXX VOIP-FSM
3 08/02/2008 14:45:09 SIP Registration Success by SIP:028090XXXX SIP[1]
4 08/02/2008 14:35:06 Successful WEB login 192.168.1.4 User:admin

outbush

Post by outbush » Sat Aug 02, 2008 3:29 pm

basshead wrote:I don't have a computer connected to the LAN port of the P2302R - the computers are connected to the LAN ports of the Billion 741GE, and the P2302R WAN port is connected to a LAN port on the 741GE... I can ping 58.96.1.2 and also the P2302R from both the PC and the Amiga.
I was trying to determine if you could ping the Sip server through the P2302R.
basshead wrote:I tried changing it to bridge mode and ended up losing internet connectivity and had to restart the modem again.
When in bridge mode did you have an internet connection through the LAN of the P2302R? I think your problem lies in your networking setup, as the SIP signal cannot get through the two routers you have connected together.
basshead wrote:I tried that through the 741GE but it didn't seem to work. Am I supposed to set static IP addresses up in the connection settings in WinXP?
Yes, and turn off the DCHP in your P2302R and give it, in its settings, a static IP in the lan of the 741GE.
basshead wrote:If it helps, the P2302R log is saying that calls are being made out
Your calls are getting through and then your network is then blocking them.