UNKNOWEDGABLE VOIP SEEKER REQUIRES ADVICE

Old, inactive threads
basshead

Re: UNKNOWEDGABLE VOIP SEEKER REQUIRES ADVICE

Post by basshead » Sun Aug 03, 2008 7:04 pm

stevebow wrote: Obviuosly I won't need to tell you the save the pdf outbush linked to in his post above. :) We'll tackle the Zyxel next.
I restarted WinXP and tried again and I still get an error something like: "error trying to display this document"

Edit: I have reset Billion to factory defaults and re-entered exetel login settings and able to ping exetel from PC, and also Billion from PC.

Funnily enough, I seem to be having problems with trying to get MiamiDX to configure. I am having trouble trying to create a new/blank config to start from.

Ok I have just loaded an old MiamiDX config from when I originally churned to exetel October 2005, and it worked straight away. I editted the IP address and made sure all the settings were the same as your instructions.

What about settings such as "Use ICMP" in Interfaces-->TCP/IP settings, and what about ticking Gateway, TCP/IP, Allow Source Routing, Ping Flood Protection checkmarks on the main TCP/IP window? The DHCP is in the Interfaces-->TCP/IP settings, and is disabled.

I am unable to ping the PC from the Amiga, even if I disable intrusion prevention, firewall and other settings in Norton360. I don't know how to completely disable Norton360 apart from uninstalling it...

I may have jumped the gun, but I plugged the P2303R into the modem and turned it's power on, but can't log into it anymore (using any of the IP addresses stated in the quick-user guide (192.168.10.1, 192.168.1.1) or the IP address I assigned to it previously (192.168.1.5). I have performed a reset on it, and both the PWR/VOIP and WAN lights light up green (PWR/VOIP goes orange when SIP is registered), but still can't find it. It's not coming up in the modem's ARP table either. I even momentarily turned the modem DHCP server on and restarted the P2302R in case that was needed for the modem to "find" the P2302R.

Rich.

stevebow

Post by stevebow » Wed Aug 06, 2008 2:59 pm

basshead wrote:I restarted WinXP and tried again and I still get an error something like: "error trying to display this document"
Do you mean you downloaded the PDF and when you double-click it XP gives you that message? Do other PDFs otherwise display fine on your PC? Maybe something went wrong with the download, although I was able to download it fine here.
Edit: I have reset Billion to factory defaults and re-entered exetel login settings and able to ping exetel from PC, and also Billion from PC.
Set up with static IPs? Please explain what you are doing in a little more detail in your replies. :)
Funnily enough, I seem to be having problems with trying to get MiamiDX to configure. I am having trouble trying to create a new/blank config to start from.
What is the trouble? What steps are you taking? Again, a little more detail please. I really don't know what to advise without some more information.
Ok I have just loaded an old MiamiDX config from when I originally churned to exetel October 2005, and it worked straight away. I editted the IP address and made sure all the settings were the same as your instructions.

What about settings such as "Use ICMP" in Interfaces-->TCP/IP settings, and what about ticking Gateway, TCP/IP, Allow Source Routing, Ping Flood Protection checkmarks on the main TCP/IP window? The DHCP is in the Interfaces-->TCP/IP settings, and is disabled.
This is where MiamiDX differs from plain Miami, as all these settings are in the top-level TCP/IP page in Miami (I guess because DX works with multiple network interfaces whereas the plain version just the one). These are the TCP/IP options available to me and my settings:

Use IMCP: on
Use DHCP: off
Verify DNS servers: off
Fake IP: off
T/TCP: on
Auto-add domain: off
Down when offline: on
Ping flood protection: on

Note: I have not used Miami since dialup days, and these are the settings I used back then. I've only updated anything necessary for Exetel and it seems to be working, but obviously I have not used it for any length of time.
I am unable to ping the PC from the Amiga, even if I disable intrusion prevention, firewall and other settings in Norton360. I don't know how to completely disable Norton360 apart from uninstalling it...
But are you able to ping the Billion from the Amiga? You haven't said either way. First things first, get the Amiga to ping the Billion, which will show that Amiga networking is up.

I would uninstall Norton altogether, get it out of the equation. And anything else you may have installed that is network related. Note that uninstalling Norton may in the process re-enable the XP firewall, so be sure to check and disable that if necessary.

The trick is to simplify as much as possible. As I said earlier, once everything is working, reconfigure/reinstall what you want later.
I may have jumped the gun, but I plugged the P2303R into the modem and turned it's power on, but can't log into it anymore (using any of the IP addresses stated in the quick-user guide (192.168.10.1, 192.168.1.1) or the IP address I assigned to it previously (192.168.1.5). I have performed a reset on it, and both the PWR/VOIP and WAN lights light up green (PWR/VOIP goes orange when SIP is registered), but still can't find it. It's not coming up in the modem's ARP table either. I even momentarily turned the modem DHCP server on and restarted the P2302R in case that was needed for the modem to "find" the P2302R.
Yes, you are jumping the gun. :) Let's get your basic, static IP network set up and running before we tackle the Zyxel. And more info on the steps you are taking please.

basshead

Post by basshead » Wed Aug 06, 2008 5:54 pm

I just loaded up the old MIAMI (instead of MiamiDX) and started up a new config. O/T but excellent news is I can now send emails without any problems (so that must've been a setting in MiamiDX I must've changed but couldn't find!)

Now I will stick with Miami instead of MiamiDX for the remainder of this "tutorial".

I will reply (with quotes) your previous reply ASAP.

basshead

Post by basshead » Wed Aug 06, 2008 6:38 pm

stevebow wrote:
basshead wrote:I restarted WinXP and tried again and I still get an error something like: "error trying to display this document"
Do you mean you downloaded the PDF and when you double-click it XP gives you that message? Do other PDFs otherwise display fine on your PC? Maybe something went wrong with the download, although I was able to download it fine here.
"An error occurred while trying to use this document" is the precise error message displayed at the bottom of the browser. The same message occurs when trying to view ftp://ftp.zyxel.com/P-2602R-61/quick_st ... R-61_1.pdf as well. The other PDF file works OK: ftp://ftp.zyxel.com/P-2602R-61/support_ ... 1_3.40.pdf
Set up with static IPs? Please explain what you are doing in a little more detail in your replies. :)
Yes, 192.168.1.20 for Amiga and 192.168.1.10 for PC.
But are you able to ping the Billion from the Amiga? You haven't said either way. First things first, get the Amiga to ping the Billion, which will show that Amiga networking is up.

I would uninstall Norton altogether, get it out of the equation. And anything else you may have installed that is network related. Note that uninstalling Norton may in the process re-enable the XP firewall, so be sure to check and disable that if necessary.
I am able to ping the Billion modem from both the PC and the Amiga. I am able to ping http://www.exetel.com.au from both the PC and the Amiga. I can ping the Amiga from the PC but not the other way around. I'll need to play with or uninstall Norton360 another day as I have to go back to work right now.

stevebow

Post by stevebow » Thu Aug 07, 2008 1:12 pm

I just loaded up the old MIAMI (instead of MiamiDX) and started up a new config. O/T but excellent news is I can now send emails without any problems (so that must've been a setting in MiamiDX I must've changed but couldn't find!)
Wow, that is excellent news! I had a feeling it was just a configuration issue somewhere.
Now I will stick with Miami instead of MiamiDX for the remainder of this "tutorial".
I would stick with it always if it works. I mean, is there anything in MiamiDX you need that Miami doesn't offer? I only ever used Miami and found it to be just fine.
"An error occurred while trying to use this document" is the precise error message displayed at the bottom of the browser. The same message occurs when trying to view ftp://ftp.zyxel.com/P-2602R-61/quick_st ... R-61_1.pdf as well. The other PDF file works OK: ftp://ftp.zyxel.com/P-2602R-61/support_ ... 1_3.40.pdf
Both links work fine here. Oh well, at least you have the manual now.
I am able to ping the Billion modem from both the PC and the Amiga. I am able to ping http://www.exetel.com.au from both the PC and the Amiga. I can ping the Amiga from the PC but not the other way around. I'll need to play with or uninstall Norton360 another day as I have to go back to work right now.
Yes, pull out Norton (and check that the XP firewall is dasabled afterwards). Let's get it out of the way for now and get everyone talking to each other. As I said earlier, put it back in later if you feel more comfortable with it in place.

vicbitter

Post by vicbitter » Thu Aug 07, 2008 4:40 pm

basshead wrote: I don't have a computer connected to the LAN port of the P2302R - the computers are connected to the LAN ports of the Billion 741GE, and the P2302R WAN port is connected to a LAN port on the 741GE... I can ping 58.96.1.2 and also the P2302R from both the PC and the Amiga.
Just wondering why you connect the Billion to the P2302R's WAN port? If they are all on the same network (setup statically to 192.168.1.x), connect the Billion to the Zyxel's LAN port. That way all it is is effectively an ATA and a switch. Take the routing totally out of the equation. Disable the WAN on the Zyxel if you can.

Make sure the Billion is NOT in bridged mode, let it do the authentication with Exetel.

Make sure you forward the VOIP ports to the static address of the Zyxel. Turn off any firewall's in both the Billion and Zyxel. Make sure NAT on the Billion is ON. NAT is a good enough firewall...

Sorry for interrupting the conversation, but let the Billion do the MODEM'ing and the Zyxel do the ATA'ing... ;)

LAN Static address on Zyxel should be:

IP Address: 192.168.1.x
Subnet mask:255.255.255.0
Default gateway: 192.168.1.254 (Billion)
DNS: 192.168.1.254 (Billion)

Actually the above is true for all the PC's. Your Amiga problem is out of my league (sounds like firewall's as suggested, toast it temporarily)
Last edited by vicbitter on Thu Aug 07, 2008 7:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

basshead

Post by basshead » Thu Aug 07, 2008 6:32 pm

I am in the process of uninstalling Norton360. The first time WinXP froze and I had to restart WinXP.

As for using the WAN port on the P2302R - the reason is that is the way it says to install it in the quickstart guide, and I still am unable to view the user manual PDF to find out other ways of connecting it up. I have also found other threads on exetel forum stating that other users of the same ATA have had troubles and they were solved when they connected it up using the WAN port instead of it's LAN port. I am willing to give anything a try, but one step at a time :)

Thanks for your input.

Gidget
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Gidget » Thu Aug 07, 2008 6:52 pm

Hi basshead

I downloaded the 2 manuals for you and have just emailed them to your Forum email address.

Cheers

Gidget
Log a fault ticket here
or call Exetel VOIP numbers (02) 8030 1000 or 1300 788 141 (log faults 24x7)
Exetel Support Portal

basshead

Post by basshead » Thu Aug 07, 2008 9:41 pm

Gidget wrote:Hi basshead

I downloaded the 2 manuals for you and have just emailed them to your Forum email address.
Thanks, but I am still unable to view it (and the PDF's you emailed were for the wrong model Zyxel hardware :) ). I didn't have a problem downloading it before, just opening and viewing it. The one you sent me comes up with an error stating it was unable to decrypt the document. I already tried installing the latest Acrobat Reader as well (I had version 4.0 installed) and that doesn't seem to have made any difference either. I see the current version is 9.0, which I downloaded, however it doesn't seem to have installed, even after restarting Windows (have you worked out I loathe windows yet, which is why I still use the Amiga after all these years!). I downloaded a 30+MB file from adobe website, and still can't find which option in the setup program is the acrobat READER - it's got all this other crap: "Connect Now", "Buzzword", "Create PDF", "Share", and "My Files". I'll try viewing it using a very out-dated pdf viewer on the Amiga, but I don't like my chances of it working :)

Back to the task at hand... I have uninstalled Norton360, and am unable to turn the Windows Firewall ON (surprise, surprise - it's Windows and I expected nothing less!), so there's no need to worry about that :)

I am still unable to ping the PC from the Amiga, even with Norton360 uninstalled (and WinXP restarted), and Windows Firewall turned OFF. Any other suggestions (apart from reinstalling Windows:) )?
Last edited by basshead on Thu Aug 07, 2008 10:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gidget
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Gidget » Thu Aug 07, 2008 10:00 pm

What flavour of Windows are you running (XP? Vista?) - I installed Acrobat 9 Reader on XP with no issues but it didn't seem to install on a Vista machine and I haven't yet had time to work out why :?

In the meantime, try downloading Version 7.0.9 from here
http://www.oldversion.com/program.php?n=acrobat

Gidget
Log a fault ticket here
Exetel Support Portal

basshead

Post by basshead » Thu Aug 07, 2008 10:13 pm

Gidget wrote:What flavour of Windows are you running (XP? Vista?) - I installed Acrobat 9 Reader on XP with no issues but it didn't seem to install on a Vista machine and I haven't yet had time to work out why :?

In the meantime, try downloading Version 7.0.9 from here
http://www.oldversion.com/program.php?n=acrobat
That worked a treat. I would've expected updating to a more recent version would be alot easier than having to have someone point you in the right direction! I'm using XP SP3 by the way.

Gidget
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Gidget » Thu Aug 07, 2008 10:29 pm

basshead wrote:... and the PDF's you emailed were for the wrong model Zyxel hardware :) ...
I downloaded them from the links in your earlier post :roll:

Anyway, now that you have a more up-to-date Acrobat version on your XP machine you should be able to find, download and actually read the correct manual :D

Sorry I can't help you with your main problem, but I'm sure with the help you are getting from others that you'll get it sorted.

Cheers

Gidget
Log a fault ticket here
Exetel Support Portal

stevebow

Post by stevebow » Fri Aug 08, 2008 1:13 am

basshead wrote:I am still unable to ping the PC from the Amiga, even with Norton360 uninstalled (and WinXP restarted), and Windows Firewall turned OFF. Any other suggestions (apart from reinstalling Windows:) )?
TBH, I cannot see a reason why you cannot ping the PC from your Amiga now while the other way around works fine. I'm wondering if Norton360 hasn't permanently stuffed something up on your PC!

It may be time to bite the bullet and apply the "usual" Windows solution - clean install. I know it is a right PITA, but at least your system will be cleaned out. If your PC won't respond to simple pings, who knows what else is broken?

WRT the Zyxel manual, I was able to download the manual for your model here:

ftp://ftp.zyxel.com/P-2302R/user_guide/ ... 0MM_MQ.pdf

If that link doesn't work for you, I could e-mail it to you. BTW, right-click the link and "Save Link As...". I've never found the embedded PDF viewer plugin for either FF or IE to ever be 100% in XP or Vista.

You've got to get your basic networking properly working all round before tackling anything more advanced like your Zyxel.

It's ironic that in all this so far, your Amiga is now working fine including your long outstanding e-mail problem, but your PC is still problematic...

basshead

Post by basshead » Fri Aug 08, 2008 4:24 pm

vicbitter wrote:
Make sure the Billion is NOT in bridged mode, let it do the authentication with Exetel.
It's not in bridged mode. I reset it to factory defaults anyway. I connected the modem to the LAN port of the P2302R and also reset the P2302R to factory defaults, and I still can't ping it from either PC or Amiga, on any of the IP addresses supplied in the quickstart manual (192.168.1.1 or 192.168.10.1).
Make sure you forward the VOIP ports to the static address of the Zyxel. Turn off any firewall's in both the Billion and Zyxel. Make sure NAT on the Billion is ON. NAT is a good enough firewall...
All firewalls are disabled.
Sorry for interrupting the conversation, but let the Billion do the MODEM'ing and the Zyxel do the ATA'ing... ;)
You're not butting in, and it looks like I need all the help I can get!!! I'm now considering returning it to the eBay seller as it's definitely not doing what it's supposed to do!!! My next test will be to try the P2302R on another computer and see if it's not completely fried... I am abit concerned that I can't even access it's login page any more. In MiamiDX (Amiga TCP/IP stack) I had a list of hosts which I had entered all IP addresses into; I don't need to add it to a list in a hosts file on WinXP somewhere do I?

outbush

Post by outbush » Fri Aug 08, 2008 6:15 pm

basshead wrote:......................................................................... it looks like I need all the help I can get!!! I'm now considering returning it to the eBay seller as it's definitely not doing what it's supposed to do!!! My next test will be to try the P2302R on another computer and see if it's not completely fried...
You mean you bought an item on EBay that you know nothing about.
I think you deserve what you got, a product that doesn't suit your needs, difficult to configure, no product support and possibly 'locked' to some ISP/VSP company.
If you had purchased an integrated product from a reputable supplier you would have support and be up and running by now.
Last edited by outbush on Sat Aug 09, 2008 11:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.