UNKNOWEDGABLE VOIP SEEKER REQUIRES ADVICE

Old, inactive threads
basshead

Re: UNKNOWEDGABLE VOIP SEEKER REQUIRES ADVICE

Post by basshead » Thu Aug 14, 2008 10:52 pm

Well I've just spent another 3 hours solid trying to get the billion working in bridged mode, and another half an hour trying to reset all my original settings into the modem just so I could access the internet so I could respond to this thread again.

The settings Steve quoted above are incorrect as about every second line entered returned various errors (I read the FAQ instructions Steve linked from the Billion website; I'll have to contact them for correct typing of the information - some lines contained apostrophe's at the start and end which obviously I didn't type (the apostrophe's that is). I even used "prompted" CLI mode by appending a "?" at the end of each word in the command, which displayed available options for each stage of the CLI command. ie: by typing "bridge ?" would display a list of options I could type next, etc. Some of the errors in the FAQ instructions were that they typed "transports" instead of "transport" thus an error was displayed (which led me to use the promping method mentioned above to make sure I was using the correct syntax)).

Every time I set it to bridge mode with the web interface (after the CLI method failed to work with so many errors displayed), I lost all contact with everything - the net, the billion modem, between two computers, and the P2302R. I lost count of the number of time I had to perform factory resets to access everything again. I even tried configuring the P2302R with the PC directly connected to it's LAN port (which worked until I put the billion into bridged mode of course).

Perhaps I am supposed to set up ALL the P2302R settings before I change the billion to bridged mode.

I really think it's time for me to get an expert in to get this working, or start again from scratch with new hardware.

I have just updated the billion firmware, and dread having to try all this out again!

I'm so completely confused I don't think it's worth me wasting any more time trying to get this to work! I admit I don't know a great deal about networking, but I thought I knew enough to get what should be a simple configuration working... Perhaps I am just way out of my depth!

stevebow

Post by stevebow » Fri Aug 15, 2008 3:01 am

basshead wrote:Every time I set it to bridge mode with the web interface (after the CLI method failed to work with so many errors displayed), I lost all contact with everything - the net
Of course you will, because it is now "just" a modem. As I mentioned, your Zyxel will become your PPPoE client when your Billion is bridged.
the billion modem
Usually you can still communicate with the built-in configuraton web server in bridged mode still, but perhaps the Billion is a little different in that respect. I don't know anything about Billion devices other than what I have read in the 741GE manual over the past week or so, sorry.
between two computers, and the P2302R.
Maybe the built-in switch is disabled too when in bridged mode, who knows. Maybe the PC (or downstream router) has to be connected to a specific LAN port when in bridged mode, who knows.
I even tried configuring the P2302R with the PC directly connected to it's LAN port (which worked until I put the billion into bridged mode of course).

Perhaps I am supposed to set up ALL the P2302R settings before I change the billion to bridged mode.
This doesn't make sense. It sounds like you have things connected wrong. At the end of the day, the PC should be connected to the Zyxel LAN port and the Zyxel WAN port (configured as a plain ethernet port) should be connected to a Billion LAN port.

As I have said, you would need to configure the Billion with the PC connected directly to a Billion LAN port, then when done, disconnect it from the Billion LAN port and connect it to the Zyxel LAN port.
I'm so completely confused I don't think it's worth me wasting any more time trying to get this to work! I admit I don't know a great deal about networking, but I thought I knew enough to get what should be a simple configuration working... Perhaps I am just way out of my depth!
My honest opinion - I think you should get an "all-in-one" modem/router/ATA/switch ("gateway"), which will bypass many networking complications and therefore very beneficial for those who feel a little out of their depth with networking (and do you want my honest opinion on that? :wink: ). I certainly don't claim to be a networking expert and am the first to admit it's not always as easy as it seems!

Exetel offer the Dynalink TA1046VW at around half RRP as a special to Exetel members only - although it has WiFi which you may or may not need. Exetel used to offer the Netcomm NB9 at a good price, I'm not sure if they still do. It would be well worth contacting Exetel Sales to see what they can offer if you do consider this option. They (and users here) will at least be able to help directly with configuration.

For sure you can get your Billion/Zyxel setup working, but it needs the further advice of experienced Billion and Zyxel users, of which I am neither unfortunately. Manuals are notoriously skimp and there's only so much help you can give just by reading them. If you wish to persevere, ask in the Billion forums I mentioned in my previous post for help.

At least you did get your YAM problem sort out of all this :D

Good Luck! Keep us posted.

basshead

Post by basshead » Fri Aug 15, 2008 4:48 pm

The all-in-one idea is brilliant, and is why several years ago I bought the Billion I currently own - it did everything I needed in one box. I've ordered your recommended box and am confident it will solve my problems. I am not disappointed as I will now have a fully-functional spare modem (my current one) in case of problems in the future, and I'll re-sell the Zyxel on eBay :)

basshead

Post by basshead » Wed Aug 20, 2008 9:50 pm

Dynalink RTA1046VW arrived today and it took me longer to unplug all the cables from the old modem and into the new one, than it did configuring it and making my first successful VOIP call :)

Joy at last!

CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by CoreyPlover » Wed Aug 20, 2008 11:15 pm

basshead wrote:Joy at last!
So a happy ending after 4 months of frustration? That is great to hear.