Appeal to Exetel regarding "ADSL 2+" speeds

Old, inactive threads

Should Exetel de-prioritise Peer-to-Peer traffic if at all?

Heavily de-prioritise it! My primary browsing time is at night time also...
78%
De-prioritise it a bit. My speeds are not being affected by P2P downloads
14%
Don't change it at all
8%
Prioritise P2P traffic! I queue up 5GB of downloads before bed every night...
No votes

Total votes: 37

moad

Re: Appeal to Exetel regarding "ADSL 2+" speeds

Post by moad » Mon May 05, 2008 8:59 am

I have been with Exetel for two years and have never had a problem. My main internet usage is between 5 and 12 pm and after that i am guilty of downloading the odd torrent. I think i am fairly typical of most users. I am home this morning as i have an exam, i have gone to use the internet and am experiencing terrible speeds. I sync at 12mb / .8 mb. I get around 6mb / 8mb on speedtest.net but this is more than sufficient for what i need. But to not even be able to browse the net this morning is unacceptable. My connection timed out twice trying to open up this web page.

i have referred over 20 friends and family to Exetel but may reconsider referring more friends, family and clients if this situation doesn't improve soon.

I really hope something is done soon so that Exetel's reputation is not damaged, considering they have worked hard at improving their reputation for bad customer service.

duffman

Post by duffman » Mon May 05, 2008 9:44 am

I have been with Exetel since they started, and have also recommended a lot of people. I am now stuck trying to make excuses to all the people i have recommended.

I have so many people ringing me up complaining about slow speeds / dropouts and just lack of customer service. i feel like a god damn Exetel helpdesk employee.

I will not be recommending any more people until these fundamental network issues are addressed. I'm actually going to recommend people to a more solid and "usable" network to avoid phone calls at all hours.
Duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem.

MikeTurner

Post by MikeTurner » Mon May 05, 2008 10:32 am

I too had issues over the weekend, very slow. But it seems to be much better this morning.

withaph

Post by withaph » Mon May 05, 2008 11:06 am

My 'net was completely unusable over the weekend too. Same symptoms as everyone else. Modem sync speed looks right, but every page I try and view just times out or sits on "Transfering data from xxxxx.com ....." forever.

Normally sites I can't browse to I _can_ ping, but I get large amounts of packet loss (25%+). Tracert shows little useful information.

I quickly checked before work this morning, and I was able to at least browse sites again, but the speed was sloooooooooow.

I'd like to add I too have been with Exetel for a number of years, and _never_ had any issues until the last month or so. Since then it has felt like my services has been slowly deteriorating each day.

How are things looking for everyone else today?

achu

Post by achu » Mon May 05, 2008 11:18 am

Still high % packet loss

Ping statistics for 220.233.0.1:
Packets: Sent = 98, Received = 82, Lost = 16 (16% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 41ms, Maximum = 86ms, Average = 48ms

gybrid

Post by gybrid » Mon May 05, 2008 11:22 am

Still terrible, i'm looking for another ISP as we speak.

Curryman54

Post by Curryman54 » Mon May 05, 2008 11:29 am

This is ridiculous. I've been with exetel for over 4 years. I can live with these speeds in the off-peak hours but I need them to be improved for my peak please.

durz

Post by durz » Mon May 05, 2008 11:59 am

There is consistently huge packet loss now... even during PEAK period

always around 10%, +/- 5

this is making playing any sort of multiplayer game impossible

withaph

Post by withaph » Mon May 05, 2008 12:05 pm

What does the poll at the top have to do with the issues in this thread now btw? I understand p2p can be a traffic hog, but does anyone have any evidence that most of the issues voiced in this thread have anything to do with p2p?

Seems like we are starting to mix to separate issues in here.

vert02

Post by vert02 » Mon May 05, 2008 12:06 pm

durz wrote:There is consistently huge packet loss now... even during PEAK period

always around 10%, +/- 5

this is making playing any sort of multiplayer game impossible
glad im not the only one noticing this, thought it was just my end :/

moad

Post by moad » Mon May 05, 2008 1:11 pm

Hi,

Speeds are still terrible after 12. Has Exetel ackowledged a problem or should i lodge a ticket?

Syncing at 16mb only getting throughput of 1. Something is definitely wrong. What is the cooling off period on a new connection?

Regards,

Nick.

ForumAdmin
Exetel Staff

Post by ForumAdmin » Mon May 05, 2008 2:06 pm

For those people who have a specific problem - log a fault.

For those people who say "I've got no reply to my ticket "- email:

jamesd@exetel.com.au

with the ticket number that has had no response (I looked and couldn't see any and though I look at these statistics EVERY day I could have missed one but that isn't likely as I also asked for a report on all tickets).

For those people who don't understand how much bandwidth/what if any contention there is on any circuit is currently provisioned on any circuit Exetel controls please use the facilities provided to you to allow you to do that.

From what I can see there have been no bottlenecks over the period that is being cited by the posters here. Exetel continually upgrades all links and there is never any reluctance on our part to do that - we now have almost twice as much bandwidth on almost every link to what we had a year ago and there are definitely not twice as many customers. Having said that there have been various issues over the past week that would cause some users some problems but there is nothing that would cause any serious problem for any length of time nor is there any "general ADSL2 problem" that Exetel can see on any link we control or any 'box' we deploy.

Specific problems can only be addressed by specific tickets - so use the only method of resolving any issue that you may experience - log a fault.

This forum can't provide help to such posts as have been made here.

The issue has been raised with Optus regarding why the link between Optus and Exetel which used to carry over 585 mbps of ADSL2 traffic to an Exetel Optus ADSL2 users now maxes out at 522 mbps. We have told them we believe that they have added a new customer to the same 1 gbps router used to connect to Exetel therefore causing packet loss and trying to provide more than a total of 1 gbps of traffic over a 1 gbps link.

They have denied this but are "carrying out some maintenance work early tomorrow morning that may address the issue"

Thread closed - there is no help that can be given to any poster on this thread to "me too - I cant xxxxxxx".