Page 1 of 4

Appeal to Exetel regarding "ADSL 2+" speeds

Posted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 1:37 am
by Digitalpho3nix
Gday,

I am appealing to the Exetel staff to take some action and responsibility in the matter of very poor "ADSL 2+" speeds.

I know I am not the only one who is fed up with the poor speeds at night time, which happens to be when I use my internet connection most. I am reduced to dial-up speeds during the off-peak timeslot, which is WAY BELOW the promised minimum quality of 1500/256 on an ADSL 2+ connection that Exetel themselves promise their users.

I am well aware that everyone queues their Peer-to-Peer downloads for the off-peak timeslot when they get the most download allowance and as such the network becomes stressed.

However, I don't see why my browsing speeds should slow to a crawl just so other peoples' P2P downloads (which we all know are 90% illegal anyway) can rocket along nicely. I have raised this issue with the technical staff in the past, only to be told that there was nothing that could be done on either end. I see this as entirely unacceptable (and unprofessional) and I want something done about it very soon. I am paying for a service every month that I consider is below standard, and I am being told by your tech staff that it is 'acceptable'. I am seriously considering cutting my losses and churning my connection away from Exetel, so I can restore my Xbox Live subscription and enjoy online games. I cancelled by Live subscription because it was practically useless with the connection quality I have.

As such, I propose that the senior tech staff and executives at Exetel sit down and have a very serious meeting about what their priorities are; their customer satisfaction and product quality, or broadly poor speeds for all users at the hands of P2P downloads. You NEED to take action and de-prioritise or limit P2P traffic in such a fashion that all users can still use their internet connections with satisfactory speeds. You also NEED to take some responsibility in customer relation matters. Telling me " it's not our problem / there is nothing we can do for you / your speeds are acceptable " does not cut it.

I know some people will not like this, but Exetel needs to take the hard line and increase the quality of their products either by reshuffling their priorities or by other means.

I hope this doesn't go unanswered, and I dearly hope to see some resolutions soon.

Kind Regards,

Chris Lane
Perth, WA

Re: Appeal to Exetel regarding "ADSL 2+" speeds

Posted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 8:35 am
by scyoung
Of course, they could purchase additional bandwidth.
However, as they are operating at rock bottom prices that probably will not happen.

I say de-prioritise.

Re: Appeal to Exetel regarding "ADSL 2+" speeds

Posted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 10:04 am
by CoreyPlover
scyoung wrote:Of course, they could purchase additional bandwidth.
No, they can't. This is a "solution" proposed by many users who clearly don't understand what they are proposing. If there are issues with P2P traffic flooding the network then any additional bandwidth is just going to be consumed by P2P. Exetel already have adequate bandwidth available to meet user non-P2P demands.
Digitalpho3nix wrote:You NEED to take action and de-prioritise or limit P2P traffic in such a fashion that all users can still use their internet connections with satisfactory speeds. You also NEED to take some responsibility in customer relation matters. Telling me " it's not our problem / there is nothing we can do for you / your speeds are acceptable " does not cut it.
I know some people will not like this, but Exetel needs to take the hard line and increase the quality of their products either by reshuffling their priorities or by other means.
My understanding is that P2P traffic is being de-prioritised to various degrees during the periods when P2P traffic is high enough to impact upon HTTP traffic (currently from about 8pm to 2am). If this does not seem to be working then I am sure that Exetel will re-examine this issue in light of your comments. The right balance of de-prioritisation and bandwidth management can be achieved but such things may be much more complex than they sound. For example: Perhaps try downloading a file (via HTTP) from the Exetel mirror during off-peak and note the speeds. If you get faster speeds this way compared to ordinary HTTP browsing it may suggest the off-peak congestion is outside of Exetel's network. In this case there truly is "nothing that Exetel can do".

One further point I will make is that Exetel distinguishes itself amongst ISPs by listens to user comments and criticisms to improve the quality of the service. This does not, however, give users the right to demand certain aspects, outside those of contractual service commitments. The simple fact is that they alone are responsible for the commercial and operational aspects of their service. The choice of churning to an alternate provider is yours to make, but hopefully it will not come to that.

Thank you

Re: Appeal to Exetel regarding "ADSL 2+" speeds

Posted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 10:10 am
by James
I didn't have any issue from 12:15pm onwards when i downloaded the new version of Battlestar Fleet Commander, it rocketed along at 512KB/s, and that was not p2p or bittorrent.

Re: Appeal to Exetel regarding "ADSL 2+" speeds

Posted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 2:28 pm
by sonicBlue
Digitalpho3nix wrote:Gday,

I am appealing to the Exetel staff to take some action and responsibility in the matter of very poor "ADSL 2+" speeds.

I know I am not the only one who is fed up with the poor speeds at night time, which happens to be when I use my internet connection most. I am reduced to dial-up speeds during the off-peak timeslot, which is WAY BELOW the promised minimum quality of 1500/256 on an ADSL 2+ connection that Exetel themselves promise their users.

I am well aware that everyone queues their Peer-to-Peer downloads for the off-peak timeslot when they get the most download allowance and as such the network becomes stressed.

However, I don't see why my browsing speeds should slow to a crawl just so other peoples' P2P downloads (which we all know are 90% illegal anyway) can rocket along nicely. I have raised this issue with the technical staff in the past, only to be told that there was nothing that could be done on either end. I see this as entirely unacceptable (and unprofessional) and I want something done about it very soon. I am paying for a service every month that I consider is below standard, and I am being told by your tech staff that it is 'acceptable'. I am seriously considering cutting my losses and churning my connection away from Exetel, so I can restore my Xbox Live subscription and enjoy online games. I cancelled by Live subscription because it was practically useless with the connection quality I have.

As such, I propose that the senior tech staff and executives at Exetel sit down and have a very serious meeting about what their priorities are; their customer satisfaction and product quality, or broadly poor speeds for all users at the hands of P2P downloads. You NEED to take action and de-prioritise or limit P2P traffic in such a fashion that all users can still use their internet connections with satisfactory speeds. You also NEED to take some responsibility in customer relation matters. Telling me " it's not our problem / there is nothing we can do for you / your speeds are acceptable " does not cut it.

I know some people will not like this, but Exetel needs to take the hard line and increase the quality of their products either by reshuffling their priorities or by other means.

I hope this doesn't go unanswered, and I dearly hope to see some resolutions soon.

Kind Regards,

Chris Lane
Perth, WA
Well said, it's about time someone had the courage to demand this.

Re: Appeal to Exetel regarding "ADSL 2+" speeds

Posted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 4:29 pm
by bruceee
I totally agree with Digitalpho3nix, the P2P overload has gone too far. De-prioritize it NOW.
From 8 in the morning to mid-day my connection crawls then picks up to normal till 10pm, weekends and public holidays are worse.
Being retired I like to use the Internet in the mornings but most days find it a frustrating experience even using ADSL2.
Maybe the 48gig FREE period should be limited to mid-night to 8am as it used to be, at least then those who download the illegal stuff will be off the air and the LEGAL people can have a fair go.
Bruceee

Re: Appeal to Exetel regarding "ADSL 2+" speeds

Posted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 5:26 pm
by CoreyPlover
sonicBlue wrote:it's about time someone had the courage to demand this.
bruceee wrote:De-prioritize it NOW
Demanding bunch of people, aren't we? I have to admit this irks me to read; the only people who can demand such operational changes would be Exetel shareholders. As users, we are welcome to comment, constructively critique and propose alternatives to Exetel's services, but demanding such action is just plain discourteous to a company that has continually endeavoured to return value to its customers.

Look at things this way: What possible reason would Exetel have for deliberately allowing P2P speeds through unhindered and penalising HTTP traffic? You may not like them, but responses such as "there is nothing we can do for you" are the truth. If there was anything that could reasonably be done to aid those users experiencing slow off-peak HTTP speeds you can be assured that Exetel would be doing it. "De-prioritising traffic" is easy to say, but hard to implement as it impacts on other traffic management such as gaming and VOIP. It also does not address the issues of backhaul congestion and saturation of P2P traffic on Australia-wide connections. Exetel's solution currently involves a combination of things, including "bandwidth replacement" by using the P2P cache to relieve the load on HTTP network traffic.

P2P is, and will continue to be, an absolutely massive problem for all ISPs. There is no simple fix.

Re: Appeal to Exetel regarding "ADSL 2+" speeds

Posted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 5:48 pm
by sonicBlue
Are we not allowed to demand the product we have been sold?

Re: Appeal to Exetel regarding "ADSL 2+" speeds

Posted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 6:02 pm
by bruceee
Given my last post which was a reply to CoreyPlover was deleted before I could even check the thread again I can not see the value of posting in this forum

Re: Appeal to Exetel regarding "ADSL 2+" speeds

Posted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 10:44 pm
by CoreyPlover
sonicBlue wrote:Are we not allowed to demand the product we have been sold?
Of course. But the product you have been sold is an ADSL2+ service. The exact implementation of that service (in particular, de-prioritisation, traffic management, customer service, etc) is determined solely by Exetel.
bruceee wrote:Given my last post which was a reply to CoreyPlover was deleted before I could even check the thread again I can not see the value of posting in this forum
Your response may have been removed for being off-topic or offensive. If you like, you are welcome to PM me directly with your response (however off-topic or offensive :) ).

I don't wish to give anybody the impression that I think slow speeds are acceptable. It is just that matters such as these require you to view the debate from all viewpoints. This means not just seeing the Inconvenience of slow speeds to yourself, but recognising the broader picture and determining whether a resolution is viable to Exetel. P2P traffic is an incredibly difficult aspect for an ISP to manage.

Re: Appeal to Exetel regarding "ADSL 2+" speeds

Posted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 11:00 pm
by carbon13
I have to agree here... I am a Perth customer as well and am very disappointed with the inconsistency in speeds. There are no excuses these days... other ISP's seem to manage without issue. For example: I'm an IT Manager for an Engineering firm and I use 2 residential grade ADSL 2+ connections peered (failover & loadbalancing) with 2 different Perth ISPs and get consistent speeds 24x7x365. I schedule a lot of downloads for the 'off peak' periods so as not to impact staff, yet have no speed issues with these other ISPs.

I originally went with Exetel through a referal from a friend (who jumped ship a few months back for the same reasons). And now that I've served my 12 month min.term I will be leaving too. Unfortunately for me and my line of work I can't afford the downtime to transfer to another ISP, so have to go through the expense of getting a second phone line put in. BUT at the end of the day I am prepared to pay for a much better product/service.

This is not a "whinge" or "bag Exetel" post... it is just the ongoing facts of my experiences and a few other Perth customers that I'm in contact with.

I do believe Exetel are making progress and have definately come a long way in their customer support in the past 12 months. Unfortunately the speed issues are now becoming much more important to me than 'good customer service'.

:(

EDIT: I should add here that I've been working in many aspects of the IT industry over the years and have tried all sorts of 'fixes' for my speed issues. I even had the wiring re-done in my house by a certified electrical contractor. But I keep coming back to the fact that I was getting much better speeds on ADSL1 (and consistently) with another ISP. But for some reason I'm a slow learner and keep grasping at 'what could it be' straws. I've even checked with my neighbours to see if they have problems because maybe the goons at Telstra have a waterlogged pit or other problem up street - but they're with other ADSL2+ ISPs and don't have the same issues. The guy next door very kindly lends me his ADSL2+ via wireless when mine becomes so slow and I need to get some work done. :)

Re: Appeal to Exetel regarding "ADSL 2+" speeds

Posted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 12:30 am
by Digitalpho3nix
Some constructive progress made here so far...

Those who are slandering are not helping the situation. Constructive and Critical discussion goes the furthest (at least in my work in the Motorsport industry).

If by changing priorities upsets certain sensitive balances with other services, then perhaps your system needs to be re-designed or re-jigged. Sit down with the tech staff and brainstorm methods of regulating each traffic stream without the current sensitivities and limitations.

If the problem is as widespread as it appears, then Exetel has an opportunity to be innovators and create new solutions and strategies instead of relying on current/borrowed/bought methods and technology. By the sounds of it, a band-aid fix is not going to solve the problem.

I do believe that we (the paying customers) can demand changes to some parts of Exetel's policies or in this case technical resolutions. The onus falls on the management whether they choose to act on it or not, but I am indicating that Exetel is going to be facing a serious number of customer defections in the very near future if they do not act very soon. They will also be risking (and are currently incurring) some brand damage that will ensure customers will never return to or refer their friends to Exetel's services. I know for sure that if I wasn't in a contract at the moment, I would have churned away long ago and not put up with this at all.

Re: Appeal to Exetel regarding "ADSL 2+" speeds

Posted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 12:50 am
by ania
Seriously, I can't even play yahoo games after midnight.
These are simple java card games, really!
It's ridiculous.
Ania

Re: Appeal to Exetel regarding "ADSL 2+" speeds

Posted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 1:15 am
by xs4all
Kudos to you Chris!!! Excellent post.

I am one of those who suffers from this (since last Sep/Oct), you speak for the rest of US that once tried but didn't suceed.

Regards

Re: Appeal to Exetel regarding "ADSL 2+" speeds

Posted: Fri May 02, 2008 12:38 am
by sonicBlue
Image

Not feeling the love.

edit: I should point out that I would actually accept the above speed during the off peak period, provided it is a bare minimum and the speed is consistently 75kB/sec to all websites that are capable of delivering it. Unfortunately when the connection to exetel goes that slow everything else outside of exetel becomes even slower, around the 10-30kB/sec mark (I'm not exaggerating either).

I have lodged a speed fault ticket but haven't seen an update in 2 weeks now. I don't want to turn into a "problem customer" but what else am I supposed to do?