Possible New ADSL2 Plans For New Financial Year

Old, inactive threads
johnnygamer

Re: Possible New ADSL2 Plans For New Financial Year

Post by johnnygamer » Wed May 28, 2008 7:38 pm

ForumAdmin wrote:Should you have any suggestions about how the current ADSL2 offerings could be improved we would, as always, welcome your suggestions.
One word and one letter:
Annex M
options please.

Digitalpho3nix

Post by Digitalpho3nix » Wed May 28, 2008 8:24 pm

If my (veerry average) speeds will increase dramatically, then I'm all for being moved off Optus.

The price must stay the same or reduce or I'll have to move to another provider as I am not getting the ADSL 2 I am paying for at the moment.

3lusiv3

Post by 3lusiv3 » Wed May 28, 2008 8:35 pm

I'm not too happy with my incphone adsl2+ 8/48 plan because peak and off peak speeds are up and down all over the place, and off peak speeds are often pretty bad. I'd like speed improvements, but I don't want my phone number to change and I'd like another couple of peak time gigs included in the plan. I'm not fussed about having 48gigs offpeak and would be happy with half of that.

womba

Post by womba » Wed May 28, 2008 9:18 pm

Since switching to ADSL2 from ADSL 512 my download speed has increased by only about 3 times - which is far less than I had hoped. However I have no great need for the extra speed and am very happy with the overall package. What concerns me more is reliability. I cannot recall broadband going down in the 6 months I have been with Exetel which is as good as it gets. If there is a change of supplier please ensure they are just as reliable.

terrox

Post by terrox » Wed May 28, 2008 10:31 pm

I think phone number portability is a big one. I lost my old number, had it for almost 10 years - but I don't use phone much so I don't really mind, other people do care though. Most wont even consider going to VOIP because the hassles of phone number changes are big.

I just lost my internode DID as well, so I'm pretty much convinced that VOIP phone numbers are not that good for incoming calls because they tend to change more often.

If you can give us the ability to take our VOIP number to other VOIP prodividers it might make people feel more secure about getting an exetel VOIP DID over landline numbers. I'd feel much safer knowing I can take my new number with me, it would have made switching from PSTN to VOIP a lot more comforting.

Feeling like I will lose my number if I change ISP makes me less likely to give out my new number because it would make ME look silly if I change it again in a year. :cry:

terrox

Post by terrox » Wed May 28, 2008 10:35 pm

3lusiv3 wrote:I'm not too happy with my incphone adsl2+ 8/48 plan because peak and off peak speeds are up and down all over the place, and off peak speeds are often pretty bad. I'd like speed improvements, but I don't want my phone number to change and I'd like another couple of peak time gigs included in the plan. I'm not fussed about having 48gigs offpeak and would be happy with half of that.
I agree with this. I am a new user, I find my performance all over the place. I've had broadband for 6+ years and now I am switched over to Optus ports on my exchange, I feel it is the optus pipe or something causing it - using all the 48 gig is nearly impossible, but I'm scared of using the net during the day because of the 8 gig. - Clicking webpages, sometimes the pages don't respond, sometimes they do load really fast (same site, any site) - but if you click lots they respond faster.. It's weird, like what univeristy proxies do.

phar4oh

Post by phar4oh » Wed May 28, 2008 11:22 pm

i'm more interested in a Perth server. All my pings are at best 80ms to 110 for aussie servers!!! I play TF2 mostly at the moment...

hmm... wrong forum for a vent.. :P

Affinity

Post by Affinity » Thu May 29, 2008 12:47 am

terrox wrote:Feeling like I will lose my number if I change ISP makes me less likely to give out my new number because it would make ME look silly if I change it again in a year. :cry:
I would think that once you have a VoIP service with Exetel, you will "have it for life", even if you move your ADSL away... not saying that moving would be a good thing though obviously. I use my Exetel VoIP number through Voxalot now so there isn't a need to use Exetel VoIP from only Exetel network locations.

Affinity

Post by Affinity » Thu May 29, 2008 12:49 am

phar4oh wrote:i'm more interested in a Perth server. All my pings are at best 80ms to 110 for aussie servers!!! I play TF2 mostly at the moment...
There are plans.... I can't recall the timeframe, but it shouldn't be long now unless those plans have changed. Although it might not help if you still have national back haul for an ADSL2+ service. The new POPs in Vic and Qld have been quite successful from all reports, but only good for ADSL1 services at this time....

dragon

Post by dragon » Thu May 29, 2008 2:24 am

this isn't really a new plan option.. but DID's for cities other than major cities would be nice. eg wollongong :P

ForumAdmin

Post by ForumAdmin » Thu May 29, 2008 7:58 am

phar4oh wrote:i'm more interested in a Perth server. All my pings are at best 80ms to 110 for aussie servers!!! I play TF2 mostly at the moment...

hmm... wrong forum for a vent.. :P
The Perth PoP was activated yesterday and new customer orders will be activated on the Exetel infrastructure from now on.

We will begin moving current users away from the Optus/iSeek backhauls next month.

Of course, any games played on Sydney/Melbourne/International servers won't benefit from this change - only games played on WA servers.

...and yes.....wrong thread for that issue.

ForumAdmin

Post by ForumAdmin » Thu May 29, 2008 7:59 am

dragon wrote:this isn't really a new plan option.. but DID's for cities other than major cities would be nice. eg wollongong :P
We are still attempting to widen the DID city range.

ForumAdmin

Post by ForumAdmin » Thu May 29, 2008 8:01 am

terrox wrote:I think phone number portability is a big one. I lost my old number, had it for almost 10 years - but I don't use phone much so I don't really mind, other people do care though. Most wont even consider going to VOIP because the hassles of phone number changes are big.

I just lost my internode DID as well, so I'm pretty much convinced that VOIP phone numbers are not that good for incoming calls because they tend to change more often.

If you can give us the ability to take our VOIP number to other VOIP prodividers it might make people feel more secure about getting an exetel VOIP DID over landline numbers. I'd feel much safer knowing I can take my new number with me, it would have made switching from PSTN to VOIP a lot more comforting.

Feeling like I will lose my number if I change ISP makes me less likely to give out my new number because it would make ME look silly if I change it again in a year. :cry:
Phone number portability is something we would like to do, and has been on the list for over 12 months, but we haven't found a way of doing it effectively yet.

It will happen but there is no date.

Yoshi_900

Post by Yoshi_900 » Thu May 29, 2008 8:26 am

I am happy with my speeds and price with naked adsl 2, i am on NonPhoneA

maybe (depends on how much the cost is for exetel) to get into cable plans... i have an optus cable coming into my place and that was a consideration but the price and the downloads are too expensive compared to exetel.

also how about increasing the cap for the off-peak data usage (fair Play)....... but after checking the amount i see that it already been increased from 300mb to 600mb which is a good thing if people are getting slow rates in the off-peak period.

yeah i think Annex M would be cool

and fiber to the node (but i think im dreaming :P )

ohhh and maybe a 6 month contract for all adsl2 plans and maybe if you want to move ur ADSL2 to a new address not getting charged the termination of the contract, or free (or cheaper) connection fee.

jamboy

Post by jamboy » Thu May 29, 2008 9:55 am

I too am very happy with the service currently provided by Exetel. My only suggestions for improvement would be a proxy server with uncounted downloads, and maybe development of the streaming music and video system we saw glimpses of earlier.
David