Old, inactive threads
3lusiv3

Re: Possible New ADSL2 Plans For New Financial Year

Post by 3lusiv3 » Thu May 29, 2008 6:20 pm

Keep the plans easy to understand.

Col

Post by Col » Thu May 29, 2008 7:05 pm

peteru wrote:In regard to what CoreyPlover is proposing - I think it's getting too complex to be able to sell easily. I also don't like the idea of splitting the allowances into so many windows or the proposed trade offs. Id' much rather have a 12 hour window to get the bulk of my data than have to handle four windows with three sets of rules.
How about 3 windows?

Uncounted/Mega off-peak: 2am-8am
Off-peak: 8am-2pm
Peak: 2pm-2am

I don't think it would hurt too badly moving the peak 2 hours further along. According to the graphs, most days peak activity doesn't start until 3pm or so. Also, peak activity just before midnight is higher than it is at 2-3pm, though it's slowly tapering off, meaning a lot of people are still using the net when the off-peak kicks in and things start to slow. I think it is actually quite justified to move it.

overviewer

Post by overviewer » Thu May 29, 2008 9:10 pm

Exetel comes so much closer to being fair and friendly towards its customers (i.e. actually caring about them) than any other ISP to my knowledge. (Thanks Exetel!) But they still have a way to go, if I may be so bold. For starters, the whole "plan" thing is a scam. Why should customers be penalised for being on the "wrong" plan, i.e., for not predicting how much they would download between noon and midnight in a calendar month accurately enough, as I (we) did last month (April), so that we got charged $15 more than we would have if we'd switched plans in time at the end of the previous month?

If you want to reduce per-GB charges according to rate of downloads, then do it automatically, and over the entire period of a customer's connection. (Using calendar months to calculate usage rates without taking into account the length of the month is also clunky.) The only thing a customer should need to choose is speed and type of connection.

Contracts are also a scam. If there are startup costs then so be it: charge the customer accordingly. And, if it costs to maintain a connection, so be it: charge the customer accordingly. But then every customer should be charged for downloaded data at the same rate, regardless of when they "signed up". No "minimum amount included in the price" (or, worse, "free")! If the service can be provided at a lower charge, then every customer should benefit; if costs go up, then every customer should have to cop it, just like they do with petrol and still do (in some cases at least) for land-line phone services. I see no reason why quantity of downloaded data can't be a commodity. That's what free trade is all about, isn't it? It would be much fairer than at present, not to mention far less aggravating! I don't want "choice" when all the choices are bad! I want to be regarded as a friend who can buy or use as much or as little as I want, when I want, at a price regarded as fair by both me and you. I just want to be charged for what I use, no more and no less. I don't want to be on tenterhooks about whether I'm going to get good "value for money" this month or I could have done better by being on a different concocted "plan". Why should people who happen to use a fairly fixed amount per month that is fortuitously close to the "maximum" for a plan be rewarded and those who are more irregular users or who use an amount that doesn't vary much but happens sometimes to be cheaper on one plan and sometimes on another be penalised in such a higgledy-piggledy way?

If customers want to cap their usage, an option you have only just introduced, then, again, calculate over the entire period of a connection, and, should the total downloaded amount divided by the time connected reach the chosen cap, reduce the speed of the connection to exactly the chosen rate (is that technically feasible?). Then the customer only has to stop downloading for a while so that the overall rate goes down and a surplus builds up and then it's back to maximum rate for a bit again. The longer the customer waits, the bigger the excess of "allowable" downloads becomes and the more can be downloaded at top speed.

For example, a rate of 64 Kb/s = 8 KB/s amounts to 345.6 MB over a twelve-hour period or 2.4192 GB in a week of noon-to-midnights or 10.368 GB over 30 twelve-hour periods. So 128 Kb/s would be twice that, and so on. I would probably pick 192 Kb/s for 31.104 GB over a 30-day period (noon to midnight).

Another thing that sticks in my craw is charging for a whole "unit" when only part of it has been used. Imagine if I bought 1.1 tonne of cement and was charged the same amount as if I'd bought 2 tonne! That's not friendly; it's a scam. It makes a mockery of pricing advertised per tonne! Now at least in Exetel's case this only (?) applies to downloaded GBs and not to land-line phone charges.

And don't get me started on mobile-phone-call charging!
when it comes to believing, it's what's true/correct/right/factual that counts; what use are beliefs/convictions/faiths/views/opinions that aren't?

Col

Post by Col » Thu May 29, 2008 9:27 pm

overviewer wrote:Contracts are also a scam.
Contracts are imposed by the wholesalers Exetel offers their services through. It is a realistic cost that Exetel get charged when a certain person terminates their connection before the end date, which they then naturally pass onto the customer. It's not Exetel's fault.

3lusiv3

Post by 3lusiv3 » Thu May 29, 2008 9:27 pm

I would like the off peak quota to be reduced so as to improve off peak download speeds.

peteru

Post by peteru » Fri May 30, 2008 3:57 am

overviewer wrote:Then the customer only has to stop downloading for a while so that the overall rate goes down and a surplus builds up and then it's back to maximum rate for a bit again. The longer the customer waits, the bigger the excess of "allowable" downloads becomes and the more can be downloaded at top speed.
That would really, really suck. You would end up with an "always too slow" connection. If I need to download 3 * 4.4 GB of Debian ISO's I want them now and I also want my connection to remain fast enough to apply any required patches that have been released since the DVD images were mastered. I don't want my ISP to artificially smooth out the highs and lows in my bandwidth requirements. I want my ISP to have enough headroom so that I get decent performance when I need it. If it means throwing extra $3 at my ISP, that's OK with me, as long as that $3 worth of data is delivered at ADSL2+ speeds.

The problem is, it isn't anywhere near the speeds it should/could be most of the time. :(

For example, right now I am getting a transfer speed of about 50-80kBytes/s, probably because it's leeching time for everyone else. I'm synched at just over 20Mbit/s, so I'd like to see transfer speeds about 20 times faster than what I am getting right now. It is agonising to have to wait and wait and wait at the end of my work day, while I synchronise the source code between remote repositories.

Fuzion

Post by Fuzion » Fri May 30, 2008 1:57 pm

I'm look forward to seeing the new ADSL2+ Plans. I was going to join Exetel, until I realised they pulled out of Powertel offerings. I live almost right next to the exchange, so going on Optus would be a disadvantage to me. Hopefully the new wholesaler offers uncapped adsl2+ speeds.

Looking forward!

James
Exetel Staff

Post by James » Fri May 30, 2008 2:24 pm

Fuzion wrote:I'm look forward to seeing the new ADSL2+ Plans. I was going to join Exetel, until I realised they pulled out of Powertel offerings. I live almost right next to the exchange, so going on Optus would be a disadvantage to me. Hopefully the new wholesaler offers uncapped adsl2+ speeds.

Looking forward!
Why would Optus be a disadvantage?

Optus offers uncapped DSL2 speeds.

CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by CoreyPlover » Fri May 30, 2008 2:46 pm

James wrote:Why would Optus be a disadvantage?
Might this have been a reference to carrier backhaul capacity not matching usage / ISP expectations?

terrox

Post by terrox » Fri May 30, 2008 7:23 pm

cheap hardware swap. my exchange only has Optus for ADSL2, but if a non-optus option was available I'd probably want to try it out because I suspect the Optus hardware is crud.

100brian

Post by 100brian » Fri May 30, 2008 8:46 pm

Admin are we going to get adsl2+ at meadow springs wa 6210

thomashouseman

Post by thomashouseman » Fri May 30, 2008 9:51 pm

peteru wrote:
The problem is, it isn't anywhere near the speeds it should/could be most of the time. :(

For example, right now I am getting a transfer speed of about 50-80kBytes/s, probably because it's leeching time for everyone else. I'm synched at just over 20Mbit/s, so I'd like to see transfer speeds about 20 times faster than what I am getting right now. It is agonising to have to wait and wait and wait at the end of my work day, while I synchronise the source code between remote repositories.
Ditto, unfortunately we're at the whim of optus and their backhaul provisioning.

kogi

Post by kogi » Fri May 30, 2008 10:19 pm

How about 128k shaped instead of 64k :D

Col

Post by Col » Sat May 31, 2008 2:06 am

kogi wrote:How about 128k shaped instead of 64k :D
Sadly I would think that could only be done if there was a "Fair Use" policy applied to shaping whereby you would either get charged or be slowed down even further if you downloaded more than xGB past your quota. That would make it too complicated.

ozkidzez91

Post by ozkidzez91 » Sat May 31, 2008 12:03 pm

Hi, I don't know about most of you, but I am one of the many who can't get ADSL2+ where I live. I live in Helidon, QLD.

Teltra only upgraded our exchange mid-2006 to support ADSL1! This was 2 months after we had locked into an 18 month contract with the only others who could supply broadband, and they were Bluemaxx. Although we should have guessed that soon after Bluemaxx Wireless Internet opened Telstra would give us ADSL1 (there was no reason before, but HOW DARE anyone else provide us broadband if telstra won't?) but we didn't have any idea at the time. The plans were terribly expensive ($129 a month for a 1mbps connection with 20gb of downloads) and the quality of connection was great to start off with, but decreased gradually (lightning strikes to your broadcasting tower will do that...).

At the beginning of this year our contract expired, and we immediately joined with exetel, after a month prior of comparing plans and reviews. We went straight to the TELO 8mbps connection, which has been fantastic (we can reach our full potential speed around 50% of the time, the remainder giving around 80% of our max, which is still awesome) and we have been satisfied with speed and reliability (not one exetel caused drop-out! we caused a few though :S).

The point of this is, we want ADSL2+. NOT BECAUSE OF SPEED. I can't emphasise that enough. We want ADSL2+ because of the plans. If you look at the same price plan that we have under ADSL2+, we can get the exact same download limit, but it includes line rental. This knocks $30 or so off our monthly bill for phone + internet.

I hate hearing the complaints about the cost of different ADSL2+ plans, when those of us who can't get the better connection have to PAY MORE because of a lack of equivalent plans!

Remember, I'm not dissing exetel, it is this way everywhere, and I don't plan on swapping providers, even if someone else can offer us ADSL2+ here. Exetel FTW!

Also, I know telstra has started listing my exchange as ADSL2+ enabled. Does this mean that we will be able to get it with Exetel soon?