Possible New ADSL2 Plans For New Financial Year

Old, inactive threads
User avatar
dsc68
Posts: 110
Joined: Tue Jan 03, 2006 5:01 pm
Location: Lower Beechmont, Qld

Re: Possible New ADSL2 Plans For New Financial Year

Post by dsc68 » Sun Jun 01, 2008 11:47 am

ozkidzez91 wrote:I would personally not change to this plan because I would not want any surprises at the end of the month (in the form of a massive bill) and I don't feel compelled to use my limit.
I would have thought Internet usage was one of the easier things to monitor compare to other utilities like power, water, and phone - all of which are billed monthly by usage. Exetel even send out weekly updates on your current mobile phone and VoIP bills, doing the same for 'pay per byte' internet would avoid any surprises.

Col
Posts: 213
Joined: Fri Mar 14, 2008 7:55 pm
Location: NSW

Re: Possible New ADSL2 Plans For New Financial Year

Post by Col » Sun Jun 01, 2008 1:37 pm

dsc68 wrote:And the problem with that is?
It would put the PAYG plan in direct competition with the normal plans, to the point where Exetel could almost stop selling their normal plans. Exetel do not want massive downloaders (the ones who download 100's of GB) on their network during peak time, and a cheap data rate would attract them.

An example would be something like (based on the current pricing of ADSL2+ Inc. Phone) an access fee of $55 a month (which includes line rental) and downloads charged at 0.13c/MB ($1.3/GB), with a 48GB credit in off-peak. It would suit people up until 20GB or so.

Affinity
Posts: 138
Joined: Thu Feb 12, 2004 4:33 pm

Re: Possible New ADSL2 Plans For New Financial Year

Post by Affinity » Sun Jun 01, 2008 1:51 pm

If peak time cost per MB and off-peak cost nothing, then more "ordinary" peak time downloads will be re-scheduled to the "free" time further adding congestion in this period. Normal peak speeds will be improved though. But there would be lots more to consider.

kogi
Posts: 86
Joined: Tue Feb 10, 2004 5:35 pm

Re: Possible New ADSL2 Plans For New Financial Year

Post by kogi » Sun Jun 01, 2008 5:44 pm

I think that there is slowdown at the start and the end of each month because people (1) try to use all their quota (2) save all their download till the 1st of the month.

Some ideas

Rollover. Unused quota rolls over to next month.

Different Billing Periods. ie. Split people into 4 groups. Some Start on the 1st, some on the 7th , some on the 14th and some on the 21st.

James D

Re: Possible New ADSL2 Plans For New Financial Year

Post by James D » Sun Jun 01, 2008 7:07 pm

The billing period is the 1st of the month and is not likely going to change any time soon.

ozkidzez91
Posts: 86
Joined: Sat May 31, 2008 11:27 am
Location: Helidon, Qld

Re: Possible New ADSL2 Plans For New Financial Year

Post by ozkidzez91 » Mon Jun 02, 2008 7:02 am

kogi wrote:Rollover. Unused quota rolls over to next month.

Different Billing Periods. ie. Split people into 4 groups. Some Start on the 1st, some on the 7th , some on the 14th and some on the 21st.
Rollover would be cool, although I would say
1) only get rollover from the previous month i.e. not save downloads for 3 months for one massive hit
2) (obviously) only rollover peak time
3) Use downloads that were rolled over AFTER limit has been reached, for less chance of another rollover.

Also, I hope everyone realises that those people who massively download have the right to do that, as far as I can tell, so it seems a little unfair to sit around thinking of ways to make it harder for them or give them less time to do so.

And btw if anyone messes with my billing date there's gonna be hell to pay.

ForumAdmin
Posts: 3663
Joined: Sun Jan 04, 2004 2:31 pm
Location: Sydney

Re: Possible New ADSL2 Plans For New Financial Year

Post by ForumAdmin » Mon Jun 02, 2008 12:27 pm

dsc68 wrote:Whilst I'm pretty happy with the value I get from Exetel at the moment, I would find a 'pay per byte' plan as suggested by a previous poster attractive and it may an additional side benefit. At the moment I am paying approximately $1.11 per Gb (peak + offpeak) but only if I use close to the limit of my quota. This acts as an incentive for me to try and use up my quota, which I actually try and do, especially around the end of the month. If I was paying per byte then I would probably download less.

To be fair, such a plan would need to charge monthly on a pro rata amount per Gb basis so if I used 10.1Gb the cost would be 10.1 times the going rate per Gb. I wouldn't worry about offering volume discounts as it just makes things complicated but you could continue the off peak period, possibly at a discounted rate. If you needed to charge a fixed line access fee to cover your fixed costs then do so. An option to set a limit on your monthly bill, after which you are shaped, would be good safety feature.

I don't know what effect this would have on your financial planning but I would expect that spread over a large number of customers data volumes would be reasonably predictable.

The advantages I see are:

a) It would be the fairest plan available - you pay for exactly what you get, no penaltys
b) It would be attractive to customers who can't predict what their usage will be - particularly new customers
c) It would be attractive to customers with highly variable usage needs
d) It would potentially reduce the total amount of downloads allowing you to reduce your backhaul costs.
Everything you say is true - as far as it goes.

The issue that you omit (and quite rightly because it had nothing to do with your logic) is two fold.

1) This "industry" has always been based on a 'plan' and therefore a download allowance. This means that if, say, Exetel didn't offer such a 'plan' then a large percentage of new and inexperienced users (who require a simple ability to compare different offers) wouldn't be able to see what/if any value difference there is between Exetel's offer and other 'me too' offers in the marketplace. I truly hate 'me too ism' and have gone as far away from it as possible in setting up Exetel's services but, right now, that appears a little too 'brave' to me.

2) Right now we are trying to set up an HSDPA offer that is based on a base monthly rental price plus a payg charge per megabyte down/up loaded. It's very hard to do this because of one of the things you allude to - calculating back haul capacity over a national network. We can achieve a modest per megabyte charge of, say, 1.5 cents per megabyte up to a reasonable limit of less than 1 gb but would have to charge much more than that to cater for 'spikes' that have to be provisioned but are very cost inefficient.

We would make an HSDPA offer "P2P Free" as there is no ability (at Exetel's size and I suspect the same applies to 100 times our size) to handle the demands of P2P traffic. One of the major reasons we have been pioneering (in many ways) the use of P2P identification is in preparation for offering a service that simply will never be able to handle P2P type traffic patterns.

We could offer an ADSL2 service at a fixed price (that delivered us a profit of $2.00 a month) plus a payg user charge but I'm not sure anyone would buy it.

kogi
Posts: 86
Joined: Tue Feb 10, 2004 5:35 pm

Re: Possible New ADSL2 Plans For New Financial Year

Post by kogi » Mon Jun 02, 2008 12:43 pm

On the issue of HSPDA.

I would love free data back to my home/office exetel ADSL.

kogi

User avatar
hornet48
Posts: 144
Joined: Tue Nov 06, 2007 9:03 pm

Re: Possible New ADSL2 Plans For New Financial Year

Post by hornet48 » Mon Jun 02, 2008 2:09 pm

ForumAdmin wrote:We could offer an ADSL2 service at a fixed price (that delivered us a profit of $2.00 a month) plus a payg user charge but I'm not sure anyone would buy it.
A plan with a base charge and payg pricing formula would attract me.

My usage is variable....... and I want an ADSL2 connection available.

(...And I am effectively getting it already with the OPTA plan)

Regards,

Harry.

Col
Posts: 213
Joined: Fri Mar 14, 2008 7:55 pm
Location: NSW

Re: Possible New ADSL2 Plans For New Financial Year

Post by Col » Mon Jun 02, 2008 5:33 pm

ForumAdmin wrote:1) This "industry" has always been based on a 'plan' and therefore a download allowance. This means that if, say, Exetel didn't offer such a 'plan' then a large percentage of new and inexperienced users (who require a simple ability to compare different offers) wouldn't be able to see what/if any value difference there is between Exetel's offer and other 'me too' offers in the marketplace. I truly hate 'me too ism' and have gone as far away from it as possible in setting up Exetel's services but, right now, that appears a little too 'brave' to me.

...We could offer an ADSL2 service at a fixed price (that delivered us a profit of $2.00 a month) plus a payg user charge but I'm not sure anyone would buy it.
A payg ADSL2+ plan should only be created to compliment the normal plans with set download allowances. If you totally replaced them then I would agree that it would be 'brave' of you, for want of a better word. New customers like looking at normal plans.

I think that, as long as the download charge is reasonable, you will get more demand than you imagine for a payg plan as there are people out there who would prefer to only pay for what they use and not be stuck on some static plan. And as you have said in past topics, the majority of customers are not dumb, they will look at a 20GB plan offered by ISP Y and then look at the payg plan offered by Exetel and work out how much it will cost to download 20GB and then compare. If Exetel is cheaper then it isn't hard to choose who to go with as there will be many months where they wont reach 20GB and therefore Exetel will give them even more of a saving :).

joshua.young
Posts: 20
Joined: Mon Jun 02, 2008 3:55 pm
Location: Townsville

Re: Possible New ADSL2 Plans For New Financial Year

Post by joshua.young » Mon Jun 02, 2008 9:24 pm

GLOpro wrote:possibly offer them a small fee for a larger off peak download.
I personally wouldn't paying an extra fee for added extra of a larger off-peak bonus. If anything I prefer having a small to medium peak quota allowance for peak times if it means I can have a larger off-peak quota to schedule my larger downloads for.

aaNet offer a reasonable compromise with data download between certain times offered as a discounted (e.g. 100GB downloaded will only count as 33GB towards your quota). Alternatively the option of having a block between 00:00-12:00 as free quota as per mentioned by Forum Admin would be very beneficial.

Regardless we have exciting times ahead, it shall be interesting to see how Exetel's offerings evolve.

ozkidzez91
Posts: 86
Joined: Sat May 31, 2008 11:27 am
Location: Helidon, Qld

Re: Possible New ADSL2 Plans For New Financial Year

Post by ozkidzez91 » Mon Jun 02, 2008 10:35 pm

I don't know if anyone else finds it this way, but I personally find the fact that it's 48GB not 50GB off-peak and my on-peak is 32GB not 30GB better for some reason. I don't know, it just seems nicer not to have multiples of 10 for a reason I just cannot put into words (although insanity seems like a suitable one...)

User avatar
dsc68
Posts: 110
Joined: Tue Jan 03, 2006 5:01 pm
Location: Lower Beechmont, Qld

Re: Possible New ADSL2 Plans For New Financial Year

Post by dsc68 » Mon Jun 02, 2008 10:44 pm

Its better feng shui.

ForumAdmin
Posts: 3663
Joined: Sun Jan 04, 2004 2:31 pm
Location: Sydney

Re: Possible New ADSL2 Plans For New Financial Year

Post by ForumAdmin » Tue Jun 03, 2008 10:57 am

We have slightly increased the download allowances on all ADSL2 plans (inctelephone and naked) from 1st June.

The increased allowances will automatically be shown on your current plans in the user Facilities by COB tomorrow and apply to June 2008.

We will continue to look at more 'radical' plan changes for July 1st.

User avatar
MikeTurner
Posts: 206
Joined: Tue Dec 14, 2004 3:34 pm
Location: Sydney

Re: Possible New ADSL2 Plans For New Financial Year

Post by MikeTurner » Tue Jun 03, 2008 11:32 am

Great. Look forward to seeing the new plans.

By the way, I wouldn't change your business plan too much. If you split your aims and go for both high downloaders AND low downloaders, I dont think you'll hit either, causing angst.

Post Reply