Possible New ADSL2 Plans For New Financial Year

Old, inactive threads
soaper
Posts: 494
Joined: Sat Jul 31, 2004 2:19 pm

Re: Possible New ADSL2 Plans For New Financial Year

Post by soaper » Tue Jun 03, 2008 11:50 am

like Mike i am looking forward to the details and hope my wished for extra 2 Gb is part of the deal :D

i had to actually make a decision last month about capping for peak hours :roll:
but used virtually nothing of the off peak allowence.
guess we are just surfers at heart

thanks FA

gong_guy
Posts: 210
Joined: Mon Oct 11, 2004 11:06 am

Re: Possible New ADSL2 Plans For New Financial Year

Post by gong_guy » Tue Jun 03, 2008 12:51 pm

ForumAdmin wrote:We have slightly increased the download allowances on all ADSL2 plans (inctelephone and naked) from 1st June.

The increased allowances will automatically be shown on your current plans in the user Facilities by COB tomorrow and apply to June 2008.
Thank you, much appreciated.

soaper
Posts: 494
Joined: Sat Jul 31, 2004 2:19 pm

Re: Possible New ADSL2 Plans For New Financial Year

Post by soaper » Tue Jun 03, 2008 2:53 pm

thanks FA

i like the extra Gbs 8)
and somehow the faster speed with new firmware

flak
Posts: 153
Joined: Thu May 20, 2004 7:17 am

Re: Possible New ADSL2 Plans For New Financial Year

Post by flak » Tue Jun 03, 2008 3:22 pm

ForumAdmin wrote:We have slightly increased the download allowances on all ADSL2 plans (inctelephone and naked) from 1st June.
This is not a complaint, just a question born from curiosity... why are some of the increases to lower end plans higher in both real and relative terms.

My naked plan has gone from 28GB to 32GB, which is greatly appreciated, an increase of 4GB or ~14%.
Another user has reported going from 16GB to 24GB, an increase of 8GB or 50%.

I admit I am ignorant of your cost base and its complexity, so I hope your willing to shed some light on the subject.

Edit... Looks as though I got my plan details incorrect, the increase was from 30GB to 32GB, +2GB or ~7%.

CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin
Posts: 5922
Joined: Sat Nov 04, 2006 2:24 pm
Location: Melbourne, VIC

Re: Possible New ADSL2 Plans For New Financial Year

Post by CoreyPlover » Tue Jun 03, 2008 3:31 pm

flak wrote:why are some of the increases to lower end plans higher in both real and relative terms.
It may have something to do with expected uptake rates: The question is not "how much greater, as a percentage, will the plan limit increase by", but "how much extra, as a percentage, will the average downloads per user increase by."

Perhaps Exetel think every 1Gb increase in the 28Gb plans will lead to almost all of it being utilised (i.e. people who sign up for 28Gb expect to use the majority of it, most months) vs every 1 Gb increase in 16Gb plans only leads to a quarter of it being utilised (i.e. a substantial portion of 16Gb users may not even get close to 16Gb, let alone 24Gb each month).

It may also have to do with the relative popularity / user base of each plan type. Much the same way as higher income tax cuts are directed towards those certain income ranges because they represent the majority of the population.

flak
Posts: 153
Joined: Thu May 20, 2004 7:17 am

Re: Possible New ADSL2 Plans For New Financial Year

Post by flak » Tue Jun 03, 2008 3:42 pm

CoreyPlover wrote:Perhaps Exetel think every 1Gb increase in the 28Gb plans will lead to almost all of it being utilised (i.e. people who sign up for 28Gb expect to use the majority of it, most months) vs every 1 Gb increase in 16Gb plans only leads to a quarter of it being utilised (i.e. a substantial portion of 16Gb users may not even get close to 16Gb, let alone 24Gb each month).

It may also have to do with the relative popularity / user base of each plan type. Much the same way as higher income tax cuts are directed towards those certain income ranges because they represent the majority of the population.
While this may be the case, there seems to be a real disparity in how the NonPhone C* plan has changed. (the following OLD figures are from a Google cached page here)

Code: Select all

Plan          OLD     NEW   Real+  %+
NonPhone A*    8      12     4      50
NonPhone B*   12      24    12     100
NonPhone C*   30      32     2       7
NonPhone D*   42      54    12      29
NonPhone E*   54      72    18      33
In my case, the most probable outcome is me dropping from the NonPhone C* to NonPhone B* which has the same quota I had two months ago but $10 cheaper. I doubt this is the desired outcome

3lusiv3
Posts: 168
Joined: Mon Jan 07, 2008 9:42 pm
Location: Parramatta, NSW

Re: Possible New ADSL2 Plans For New Financial Year

Post by 3lusiv3 » Tue Jun 03, 2008 3:57 pm

CoreyPlover wrote:
flak wrote:why are some of the increases to lower end plans higher in both real and relative terms.
It may have something to do with expected uptake rates: The question is not "how much greater, as a percentage, will the plan limit increase by", but "how much extra, as a percentage, will the average downloads per user increase by."

Perhaps Exetel think every 1Gb increase in the 28Gb plans will lead to almost all of it being utilised (i.e. people who sign up for 28Gb expect to use the majority of it, most months) vs every 1 Gb increase in 16Gb plans only leads to a quarter of it being utilised (i.e. a substantial portion of 16Gb users may not even get close to 16Gb, let alone 24Gb each month).

It may also have to do with the relative popularity / user base of each plan type. Much the same way as higher income tax cuts are directed towards those certain income ranges because they represent the majority of the population.
Well put.

By tha way, this quota increase is bloody excellent! An ISP that listens to it's customers; who would have that was possible.

Thanks Exetel.

cliffo
Posts: 27
Joined: Sat Dec 29, 2007 8:13 am
Location: Macquarie Hills, NSW

Re: Possible New ADSL2 Plans For New Financial Year

Post by cliffo » Tue Jun 03, 2008 5:14 pm

An extra 4GB on my plan - nice! :D

the_aph
Posts: 48
Joined: Thu Apr 19, 2007 8:09 am

Re: Possible New ADSL2 Plans For New Financial Year

Post by the_aph » Tue Jun 03, 2008 5:21 pm

I can't see in mentioned in this thread, have you announced who the possible new ADSL2 wholesaler is?
I would be interested from a coverage point of view.

Rob

paul2001
Posts: 11
Joined: Fri Aug 31, 2007 10:26 am
Location: Syndey

Re: Possible New ADSL2 Plans For New Financial Year

Post by paul2001 » Tue Jun 03, 2008 5:59 pm

ForumAdmin wrote:We have slightly increased the download allowances on all ADSL2 plans(inctelephone and naked) from 1st June.
Will that include old plans like OPT B, OPT C ?

ForumAdmin
Exetel Staff
Posts: 3663
Joined: Sun Jan 04, 2004 2:31 pm
Location: Sydney

Re: Possible New ADSL2 Plans For New Financial Year

Post by ForumAdmin » Tue Jun 03, 2008 5:59 pm

paul2001 wrote:
ForumAdmin wrote:We have slightly increased the download allowances on all ADSL2 plans(inctelephone and naked) from 1st June.
Will that include old plans like OPT B, OPT C ?
No - only the current plans.

ForumAdmin
Exetel Staff
Posts: 3663
Joined: Sun Jan 04, 2004 2:31 pm
Location: Sydney

Re: Possible New ADSL2 Plans For New Financial Year

Post by ForumAdmin » Tue Jun 03, 2008 6:01 pm

James sent me this link today - times may be changing in the USA which is the most heavily networked real estate on the planet:

http://www.itwire.com/content/view/18568/107/

master
Posts: 12
Joined: Wed May 02, 2007 3:06 pm

Re: Possible New ADSL2 Plans For New Financial Year

Post by master » Tue Jun 03, 2008 11:36 pm

Affinity wrote: - "expensive" ADSL1 by comparison with ADSL2 "value", is most significantly the result of less Telstra hands in the pocket for connections when they are less involved, ala ADSL2 with much less Telstra involvement in the whole scheme of things;

- until recently, Telstra has not allowed the ADSL2 capability to be enabled; much like 8M ADSL1 plans were not allowed by Telstra.
You are spot on about how Telstra is still the greedy monopoly it is todate.
I recently spoke with a Telstra Countrywide manager about ADSL2 availability on my exchange and he stated that 'yes' we can simply just flick the switch and turn nearly all exchanges to ADSL2, however we won't do it because we will lose money to the companies that will backhaul it and because we paid for the infrastructure we would lose money. Anyway I was told by the Testra manager to complain to my local MP if I didnt like what I was hearing ..... so my simple action to this was in a small way hurt them at the hip pocket, I changed my rental from the 39.95 plan to the 19.95 plan, hooked up VOIP with Exetel (good on you Exetel) which now inturn gives less of my hard earned dollars to Tel$tra, and I am more than happy to pay for my phone calls to a less than greedy company called Exetel, now if many ppl did this, it may make a difference.

BTW, for those that want to change their plans, if you goto the Testra website and goto your account manager you no longer will see the 19.95 plan available, they deliberately took this off, simply just ring them and specifically ask for the 'Budget' plan.

austdata
Posts: 629
Joined: Wed Apr 25, 2007 12:38 am
Location: Melbourne

Re: Possible New ADSL2 Plans For New Financial Year

Post by austdata » Wed Jun 04, 2008 1:31 am

ForumAdmin wrote:We have slightly increased the download allowances on all ADSL2 plans (inctelephone and naked) from 1st June.

The increased allowances will automatically be shown on your current plans in the user Facilities by COB tomorrow and apply to June 2008.
Thank you FA. That's a nice surprise.

Cheers,

Mike
The views I present here are not necessarily those from my brain.
Exetel's support number outside Sydney: 1300 788 141 NOTE: I do not work for Exetel.

Fuzion
Posts: 30
Joined: Fri Apr 23, 2004 7:49 am
Location: Sydney, NSW
Contact:

Re: Possible New ADSL2 Plans For New Financial Year

Post by Fuzion » Wed Jun 04, 2008 6:26 pm

Is there a possibility of Naked DSL offerings from the new supplier?

Post Reply