Possible New ADSL2 Plans For New Financial Year

Old, inactive threads
austdata

Re: Possible New ADSL2 Plans For New Financial Year

Post by austdata » Thu Jun 05, 2008 7:22 pm

I would like to direct Col and overviewer to the correct thread for such posts: /dev/null :twisted:

Mike
The views I present here are not necessarily those from my brain.
Exetel's support number outside Sydney: 1300 788 141 NOTE: I do not work for Exetel.

Col

Post by Col » Thu Jun 05, 2008 10:08 pm

CoreyPlover wrote:col, I think you are overlooking the benefits of overviewer's suggestion
By nature I am normally the Devil's advocate when I don't think I 100% agree with something. I am a fan of healthy debate to reach a conclusion.
CoreyPlover wrote:...just because no other ISP is doing it doesn't make it obvious that it is a bad idea. Take P2P caching, Exetel were one of the ground breakers there too.
If Exetel wants to take the time to implement the suggestion into the billing etc systems then good for them, it will be ground breaking and could potentially make many people happy. It's another thing that will set Exetel apart from the rest of the industry, just hopefully the fine print won't confuse people. No matter what is decided I will continue trumpeting the virtues of Exetel's plans to other people.
CoreyPlover wrote:It's not about exceeding your limit or managing your quota. It is about comparing the cost per excess usage of one plan vs the savings that could have been made if you were able to switch to a higher plan for that single month.
But as Exetel hasn't implemented such a system then he either has to monitor his usage easily or shape.

ozkidzez91

Post by ozkidzez91 » Thu Jun 05, 2008 10:46 pm

CoreyPlover wrote:Exetel could simply be display the INCPHONE A through E plans, then let users download whatever they like, then at the end of the month they get charged according to whichever plan is optimal.
Does no one else here see the similarity to the customer's choice to be charged for "extra GBs" when their limit is used or else be throttled? If you're that annoyed at wasted data, can you not go down a plan then just allow extra to be charged if you pass your limit? It seems to me that if you're not using your quota, that it is a little strange to stay on such a high plan.

P.S. don't even bother about the "it's more expensive per GB that way" argument because that's why higher plans exist in the first place.

Col

Post by Col » Thu Jun 05, 2008 11:15 pm

ozkidzez91 wrote:...throttled...
Obviously if someone has activated shaping for peak then the billing system wouldn't try to figure out what plan it should move them to, and just leave them be.

The point that they are trying to make is that some people have an inability to plan a month in advance how much they are going to be downloading and don't like being penalised if they go over the limit enough where it would have been cheaper to be on a high plan. Also, for whatever reason, they can't put off downloading what they want until the next month arrives when they get fresh quota. The suggestion does have merit, it will make many customers happy, but it will be confusing for some who hold a strict concept of what a broadband plan is.

ozkidzez91 wrote:Nobel prize for shutting down an argument = "ozkidzez91"
P.S. P.S. I know I'm full of myself, but I couldn't help it.
You edited your post to remove those lines... interesting :p

CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by CoreyPlover » Thu Jun 05, 2008 11:42 pm

Perhaps others don't view the merits as significant as overviewer and I. There are many possibilities for pricing structures but looking at it a little more, the Exetel plans already enable you to switch between them each month for nil cost anyway, so I suppose this already caters for the individual keen to minimise costs as they can attempt to "target" their downloading each month (i.e. planning a holiday, step down to a lower plan. Kids / mates coming to stay for a month, step up to a higher plan).

ozkidzez91

Post by ozkidzez91 » Fri Jun 06, 2008 7:08 am

Col wrote:You edited your post to remove those lines... interesting :p
Because I didn't want anyone quoting them so I had to read them everytime I read that page. Doesn't mean I don't still believe it :wink: .

bergerk

Post by bergerk » Fri Jun 06, 2008 1:30 pm

i've only been with exetel for the last few months and have few complaints so far. just 2 questions -
was the increase in quota for the inclphone A plans up to 12/48gb this month permanent?
is there an option to retain the previous 8/48 quota and pay less than the $65?
thanks

Edwin

Post by Edwin » Fri Jun 06, 2008 1:33 pm

Edwin wrote:
ForumAdmin wrote:We have slightly increased the download allowances on all ADSL2 plans (inctelephone and naked) from 1st June.
Didn't the INCPHONE C download allowance increase?
My member page shows 32GB, which is the same as it was in May.
My post got burried in between the above discussion. Would someone be able to let me know if the INCPHONE C download hasn't increased?

seamus5

Post by seamus5 » Fri Jun 06, 2008 2:46 pm

I think there would be value in a plan with a mostly variable cost structure much like the proposed HSPA plans.

A Fixed monthly amount (which sufficiently covers exetel's fixed costs of servicing a user) plus a variable volume component which could have separate peak and offpeak rates much like electricity charges.

The variable costs don't necessarily need to be linear, although from a simplicity perspective it may be better.
In an ideal world the total cost (fixed plus variable) would dovetail nicely with the fixed quota plans so that at each volume level, the total cost to the customre is the same or at least similar.

In that way if the consumer doesn't like the variability of usage charges they can choose a fixed (and perhaps shaped after quota) plan or the fully variable cost plan which maximises the value to the customer at each level of network utilisation.

A cheap variable cost plan would at make users think twice about saturating the network just because they can, but at the same time they would be no worse off for downloading than by having chosen a fixed quota amount.

flak

Post by flak » Fri Jun 06, 2008 3:02 pm

CoreyPlover wrote:Perhaps others don't view the merits as significant as overviewer and I. There are many possibilities for pricing structures but looking at it a little more, the Exetel plans already enable you to switch between them each month for nil cost anyway, so I suppose this already caters for the individual keen to minimise costs as they can attempt to "target" their downloading each month (i.e. planning a holiday, step down to a lower plan. Kids / mates coming to stay for a month, step up to a higher plan).
The major issue with what is being proposed is that Exetel charges for your plan in advance, with excess usage in arrears. The proposal would require them to charge in arrears and thus expose them to a much greater credit risk.

There would be several ways around this such as charging a pre-defined rate in advance, and then credting/debiting an adjustment at the end of the month.

ForumAdmin
Exetel Staff

Post by ForumAdmin » Fri Jun 06, 2008 3:10 pm

flak wrote:
The major issue with what is being proposed is that Exetel charges for your plan in advance, with excess usage in arrears. The proposal would require them to charge in arrears and thus expose them to a much greater credit risk.

There would be several ways around this such as charging a pre-defined rate in advance, and then credting/debiting an adjustment at the end of the month.
You're correct in understanding the credit risks implicit in all 'post paid' plans.

There are other issues and we will need to see a total change in 'buying habits' by ADSL users before such 'brave' decisions could be made.

The proposed HSDPA single plan of a base monthly charge plus a usage charge per megabyte charged in arrears will be a good indication of marketplace acceptance of that concept versus the 'safety' of a fixed price for a fixed allowance.

Both ADSL2 and HSDPA could be offered with the ability to buy, say 2 gb of data and top it up as required - which would solve the credit risk aspects of the option.

3lusiv3

Post by 3lusiv3 » Fri Jun 06, 2008 5:46 pm

I like simple to understand plans.

ForumAdmin
Exetel Staff

Post by ForumAdmin » Fri Jun 06, 2008 7:53 pm

Edwin wrote:
Edwin wrote:
ForumAdmin wrote:We have slightly increased the download allowances on all ADSL2 plans (inctelephone and naked) from 1st June.
My post got burried in between the above discussion. Would someone be able to let me know if the INCPHONE C download hasn't increased?
It was increased as were all the incphone plans.

ozkidzez91

Post by ozkidzez91 » Fri Jun 06, 2008 10:29 pm

ForumAdmin wrote:Both ADSL2 and HSDPA could be offered with the ability to buy, say 2 gb of data and top it up as required - which would solve the credit risk aspects of the option.
I like this idea; it would be similar to buying phone credit. I don't neccessarily support it; I just like it. But what would happen when your credit ran out? If it were to be like a prepaid phone service, all service would be cut off. Of course you could leave the customer with 64kbps throttled speeds, but unless you set a time limit, they could stay throttled and have free internet as long as they can survive the speeds.

GaryG

Post by GaryG » Sun Jun 08, 2008 11:16 am

ForumAdmin wrote:
Edwin wrote:
It was increased as were all the incphone plans.
What was it before as I thought it hadn't changed as well.