Possible New ADSL2 Plans For New Financial Year

Old, inactive threads
play4team

Re: Possible New ADSL2 Plans For New Financial Year

Post by play4team » Wed May 28, 2008 2:57 pm

I'm starting to lose confidence with Exetel as my plan has been kept changing all the times. Since first day I have joint to Extel on Oct 2006 with telephone included (with Optus), then Extel keeps informing me have to change to new plans with all variable excuses (saying the my old plans is no longer available, due to Optus, due to price increase), and i have been forced to change 3 times with getting less and less of download usage while the price is keeping increase. Because my phone has been stuck with Optus (on behalf of Exetel), so if I churn to another the ISP provider (without telephone included), then i will end up to pay for my phone connection with Telstra (my original phone provider before joint Exetel).
In fact, I'm still happy with the plan, but hoping should not have any changing about my phone line (else i have to pay to get reconnect with Telstra or other phone provider). Also i rather join a consistence plan either 6, 12 or 18 months contract (like TPG) than the plan only last 1 month. I don't want to live in a worry because i keep asking my self whether next month my plan with Exetel will be changed/terminated while i haven't got any planning ahead yet.

davester

Post by davester » Wed May 28, 2008 2:58 pm

ADSL2 at more exchanges would be a bonus. :lol:
There are bugger all up here on the Central Coast NSW. :cry:

All the usual Exetel stuff, 8) no frills, just works, value, off peak, voip/mobile/bundles maybe??
I'm in conniptions for the final act you came here for

Affinity

Post by Affinity » Wed May 28, 2008 3:00 pm

I would like to see as many provider options made available as possible. That includes re-instating the Powertel product option.

alfom

Post by alfom » Wed May 28, 2008 3:00 pm

Regarding ....."Should you have any suggestions about how the current ADSL2 offerings could be improved we would, as always, welcome your suggestions."

I am an Exetel ADSL customer who was just about to upgrade to ADSL2 yesterday. However, I thought I better check about my FaxDuet number first. Would that be ported across from Telstra along with the main number and line? Two Exetel reps told me "No". I'm not sure if Exetel could work out a way to allow ADSL2 signups whilst preserving any additional line features (eg. FaxDuet) that the customer may have. Perhaps a contract between Exetel/Telstra is required to allow this?

shawnf

Post by shawnf » Wed May 28, 2008 3:01 pm

If you change ADSL2 Privders, switching to one with the most coverage would obviously be the best choice. Switching to one that is in the Goodna Exchange in QLD would be even better. I have been happy with the service of the ADSL2 (once it actually worked). Just with moving in 2 months I will be loosing that as I will be moving to that Goodna exchange.
The plans and speed has been good with the odd hickup here and there, which is expected.

thalamic

Post by thalamic » Wed May 28, 2008 3:01 pm

This is exciting news. Optus adsl2+ is cheap but simply not great, not for me anyway. I'm willing to pay extra for a more reliable provider. The only problem is whether fast churning is feasible.

ForumAdmin

Post by ForumAdmin » Wed May 28, 2008 3:03 pm

alfom wrote:Regarding ....."Should you have any suggestions about how the current ADSL2 offerings could be improved we would, as always, welcome your suggestions."

I am an Exetel ADSL customer who was just about to upgrade to ADSL2 yesterday. However, I thought I better check about my FaxDuet number first. Would that be ported across from Telstra along with the main number and line? Two Exetel reps told me "No". I'm not sure if Exetel could work out a way to allow ADSL2 signups whilst preserving any additional line features (eg. FaxDuet) that the customer may have. Perhaps a contract between Exetel/Telstra is required to allow this?
We can't provide FaxDuet as it is a Telstra specific offering.

Have you considered using the Exetel email to fax/fax to email service?

Affinity

Post by Affinity » Wed May 28, 2008 3:03 pm

Number portability through VoIP would be very good if that can be achieved for Naked DSL options. Customers often have long held PSTN numbers that they want to keep and without portability, Naked isn't an option for them when it would otherwise suit.

GLOpro

Post by GLOpro » Wed May 28, 2008 3:04 pm

ForumAdmin wrote:
GLOpro wrote:I am only new to Exetel, but as i am signing up about 6 new services before the switch over, i would have to ask, what pricing should remain the same or improve (not increase) and what impact to the end user will there be during your ADSL2 provider switchover?

Thanks
Exetel always passes on any price advantages that occur to current users while not passing on any disadvantages for the term of your contract.

So, if we were to improve current plan offerings as we did some 2 - 3 months ago the advantages go to all current users.
Thanks FA,

Out of curiousity, what is the reason for the switch?

if its for speed and reliability then i cant see why anyone would not want to move.

This maybe a bit premature, but when can we expect to see FTN?

Thanks

Affinity

Post by Affinity » Wed May 28, 2008 3:06 pm

alfom wrote:FaxDuet number
An alternative might be to use Email2Fax and to scan files to send via email. Again if the LNP (local number portability) can achieve keeping the same fax number, that would be a bonus.

Sending faxing starts from 3c per fax (up to 10 pages) to Australian fixed line numbers and incoming faxes via email costs just a dollar per month.

Affinity

Post by Affinity » Wed May 28, 2008 3:09 pm

funkz wrote:....as I'm pretty far from Blackburn exchange.
Speeds are dependant on your distance from the exchange. As you get further from the exchange, the likelihood of seeing higher speeds drops off. If you are distant from the exchange then you may not see any significant improvements over an 8M ADSL1 connection.

evansm

Post by evansm » Wed May 28, 2008 3:19 pm

I am happy with the current plans (on ADSL2+/phone bundle), however if there is going to be a new provider I would like to suggest looking at being able to provide a lower cost naked ADSL/VOIP (free call quota / very cheal calls - aka pennytel/voipbuster/voipcheap/etc.) connection without the hassle of the requirement of having a phone line 1st. I assume you will need a phone line, but it could be bundled with a one off set up fee and be 'invisible' to the user - this alongside providing a pre-configured voip modem could entice more new customers who are afraid of voip.
I would assume that most users of exetels services are interested in cost of service (as I am) - One of my biggest concerns for cost is relocation fees, especially adsl/adsl2 whereby the cost can be quite high, especially part way through a contract. I'd like this to be looked into if possible...

nbrooky

Post by nbrooky » Wed May 28, 2008 3:20 pm

dlinker wrote:Would be very interested if people switching from "with phone" to naked ADSL2 can "bring their phone number" to the VOIP service. One or two of the other ISPs currently offer this option. This is the only thing preventing me from moving my ADSL2 with phone service to a Naked ADSL service using VOIP with my current land line phone number.
Most VOiP providers can do this, the feei s usually only around $55 to transfer.

ForumAdmin

Post by ForumAdmin » Wed May 28, 2008 3:21 pm

GLOpro wrote:
Thanks FA,

Out of curiousity, what is the reason for the switch?

if its for speed and reliability then i cant see why anyone would not want to move.

This maybe a bit premature, but when can we expect to see FTN?

Thanks
We always look at as many options as possible before renewing any contract - this is just part of that pretty standard commercial practice.

As I said previously, we used to use Powertel to provide ADSL2 services before they were taken over by APPT and we had so many provisioning and fault fixing problems we had to stop offering that service to new customers.

Since that time we've looked at possible replacements to Powertel but, as you might know, there are very few sensibly provisioned ADSL2 networks available to small companies like Exetel. However we have been offered a, what appears to be to us, a sensible coverage and priced deal that addresses a real issue which we have, at least to date, been unable to resolve with Optus financially satisfactorally.

FTTN? I guess it will happen in some form or another as Crazy Kevin couldn't take the hit of having to admit he was totally stupid to wing that dumb proposition as an election bribe. However I can't see it happening anytime soon and, personally, I doubt that it can't be justified at all -technically or economically.

vfast

Post by vfast » Wed May 28, 2008 3:29 pm

As a new ADSL2 customer I've been pretty disappointed at the bandwidth available peak or off peak. My connections are strong, but in reality I'm no better off than ADSL1.

I'd welcome and change that can provide faster throughput.

Obviously the Optus link is nearing 100% utilisation, this is apparent in the 1 year graph on the support pages.