Possible New ADSL2 Plans For New Financial Year

Old, inactive threads
dbr

Re: Possible New ADSL2 Plans For New Financial Year

Post by dbr » Tue Aug 26, 2008 10:43 am

Hi jok11n,

I am confused about what you are trying to acheive (not that I can influence or help, just curious).

My understanding is:

1. that you have a need to FTP, sometimes, large files (how big?)
2. that you would like to do this mostly during business hours (which are approx 50% off-peak and 50% peak).
3. that you wait until peak time because ....

The .... is where I am missing something. Have you tried to FTP a large file during off peak and had it slow? Fail? Something else?

Unless there is something technical preventing you, follow Nike's motto, until you run out of the 48GB :)
http://www.saferoz.com.au
First Aid * Fire * Safety

jokiin
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by jokiin » Tue Aug 26, 2008 10:57 am

dbr wrote:Hi jok11n,

I am confused about what you are trying to acheive (not that I can influence or help, just curious).

My understanding is:

1. that you have a need to FTP, sometimes, large files (how big?)
2. that you would like to do this mostly during business hours (which are approx 50% off-peak and 50% peak).
3. that you wait until peak time because ....

The .... is where I am missing something. Have you tried to FTP a large file during off peak and had it slow? Fail? Something else?

Unless there is something technical preventing you, follow Nike's motto, until you run out of the 48GB :)
What I was saying is that there is a fair play option available in the member facilities section which among other things states the following

By becoming a "Fair Play" user you will be put in a separate bandwidth allocation which will be provisioned sufficiently generously to ensure that all transit times through the Exetel controlled part of the data path are at optimum speeds.

if this option offers the best access during off peak times then I would like to use it however the off peak time does extend half way into the work day, there are odd occasions when I may need to do more than 600mb of downloads in the morning which would then break the agreement

not expecting that this can change but just stating that it would be a desirable option but the off peak option is currently too long for it to be practical for my use, I'm sure it does suit many users though, personally my plan is a 24/48 plan but I'm unlikely to use anything more than around 20gb in total for a month anyway

dbr

Post by dbr » Tue Aug 26, 2008 11:21 am

Oh OK. It sort of makes sense now. You are wanting to use the Fair Play option to guarantee speeds, but the 600MB is restrictive.

Have you actually tried to download (via your preferred FTP) during the off-peak and found it unacceptable? Is this a limit of the protocol? Ie prone to short time outs? - I don't use it so don't know the limitiations.

Otherwise, to an uninformed observer (ie me) if you just set the FTP up to transfer as soon as you are notified (?) recognise the need (what ever you business trigger is), and if it takes a little longer then so what. Better than waiting until after 12 noon to start?

Or is it actually a technical limitation that it won't download prior to noon?

or have I missed the point entirely ..... again :oops:

jokiin
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by jokiin » Tue Aug 26, 2008 11:35 am

dbr wrote:Oh OK. It sort of makes sense now. You are wanting to use the Fair Play option to guarantee speeds, but the 600MB is restrictive.
It was this in particular that I was interested in

Exetel provisions its bandwidth to meet the peak demands of its users at all times. However Exetel can't control what individual users, or groups of users, do at any one time. This especially applies to the uncounted download period between 12 midnight to 12 noon each night, While, currently, there is no contention on the bandwidth at this time, and Exetel's planning will hopefully keep it that way, you can be 100% certain of getting optimum 'ping' times if you are a game player or a VOIP user by using Exetel's "Fair Play" facility that operates between 12 midnight to 12 noon each night.

being 100% certain of optimum pings and VoIP quality is the attractive part, there would be very few times when I would use 600mb in the offpeak period but it is unpredictable as to when I may need to use this much but certainly more chance of this happening sometime between 8am and noon, that's all, as I said I probably wouldn't even use 20gb total in a whole month both on and off peak but there have been occasions in the past where I may need to transfer 1gb or so in a single session and have a time frame within which i need to do that

I understand that my preference is in no way reflective of what the average Exetel user may want or need, was just mentioning what would work for me

dbr

Post by dbr » Tue Aug 26, 2008 12:29 pm

No worries. Thanks for the explanation.

ForumAdmin

Post by ForumAdmin » Tue Aug 26, 2008 12:32 pm

ForumAdmin wrote:
jok11n wrote:
dbr wrote:Oh OK. It sort of makes sense now. You are wanting to use the Fair Play option to guarantee speeds, but the 600MB is restrictive.
It was this in particular that I was interested in

Exetel provisions its bandwidth to meet the peak demands of its users at all times. However Exetel can't control what individual users, or groups of users, do at any one time. This especially applies to the uncounted download period between 12 midnight to 12 noon each night, While, currently, there is no contention on the bandwidth at this time, and Exetel's planning will hopefully keep it that way, you can be 100% certain of getting optimum 'ping' times if you are a game player or a VOIP user by using Exetel's "Fair Play" facility that operates between 12 midnight to 12 noon each night.

being 100% certain of optimum pings and VoIP quality is the attractive part, there would be very few times when I would use 600mb in the offpeak period but it is unpredictable as to when I may need to use this much but certainly more chance of this happening sometime between 8am and noon, that's all, as I said I probably wouldn't even use 20gb total in a whole month both on and off peak but there have been occasions in the past where I may need to transfer 1gb or so in a single session and have a time frame within which i need to do that

I understand that my preference is in no way reflective of what the average Exetel user may want or need, was just mentioning what would work for me
HTTP traffic isn't affected at any time (Including FTP).

P2P traffic is the only traffic affected and the actual effects vary from time of day and actual amount of customer usage at different times.

The only 'complaints' about "OMFG my speeds are c***" come overwhelmingly from people who download P2P on the dot of midnight and see slow downloads. If they bothered to look at the graphs they wouldn't start downloads at midnight; if they want to watch what speed is happening to P2P at that time - it will continue to be slow for as long as so many people start downloads at that time.

If you are saying your FTP speeds are ever affected then pease post the details on the appropriate forum thread and someone will help you find out the reason.

jokiin
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by jokiin » Tue Aug 26, 2008 12:43 pm

ForumAdmin wrote:HTTP traffic isn't affected at any time (Including FTP).

P2P traffic is the only traffic affected and the actual effects vary from time of day and actual amount of customer usage at different times.

The only 'complaints' about "OMFG my speeds are c***" come overwhelmingly from people who download P2P on the dot of midnight and see slow downloads. If they bothered to look at the graphs they wouldn't start downloads at midnight; if they want to watch what speed is happening to P2P at that time - it will continue to be slow for as long as so many people start downloads at that time.

If you are saying your FTP speeds are ever affected then please post the details on the appropriate forum thread and someone will help you find out the reason.
Ok, I misunderstood the function of the fair play option, if it only relates to P2P shaping then it won't matter as I don't use P2P anyway, the details listed don't specifically mention this which was why I was confused as to the functionality, as I said I haven't had speed issues I just saw the option there and it sounded like a good idea (thinking it related to all traffic types)

Thanks for clearing that up :)

vk3xem

Post by vk3xem » Tue Aug 26, 2008 12:53 pm

My understanding was the Fair Play Policy was designed for time critical applications like VoIP rather than trying to download something as quick a possible.
The views I present are that of my own and NOT of any organisation I may belong to.

73 de Simon, VK3XEM

jokiin
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by jokiin » Tue Aug 26, 2008 1:14 pm

vk3xem wrote:My understanding was the Fair Play Policy was designed for time critical applications like VoIP rather than trying to download something as quick a possible.
possibly, VoIP was one of the reasons I was interested, if a download takes a bit longer isn't such a big deal