Possible New ADSL2 Plans For New Financial Year

Old, inactive threads
alfom

Re: Possible New ADSL2 Plans For New Financial Year

Post by alfom » Wed May 28, 2008 3:38 pm

Affinity wrote:An alternative might be to use Email2Fax and to scan files to send via email.
Good suggestion. Yes, I have used Exetel's email2fax. At 3c per fax it's great value.

My issue more lies with the fact that many customers have my Telstra FaxDuet number and use it regularly. Perhaps I could ask instead if there is a way to port my FaxDuet number to Exetel's Fax2Email service? I've read on the whirlpool forums of other users porting standard Telstra numbers to VOIP.

If the answer is "No" then i'll have to consider a gradual phase out of my fax number in favour of a new Exetel Fax2Email number. Downside of this approach is that I would need to wait longer to upgrade to ADSL2.

eecchhoo

Post by eecchhoo » Wed May 28, 2008 3:39 pm

Will the new provider able to provide the service in WA? if yes, that's a great move.

robytseng

Post by robytseng » Wed May 28, 2008 3:46 pm

The biggest problem I have is that I want to refer as many of my friends to Exetel but they currently have a Bundled Home Phone / ADSL1 service with Optus so they are unable to churn to Exetel. I hope a switch in the provider will allow the churn as it is a win-win situation!

cryptwizard

Post by cryptwizard » Wed May 28, 2008 4:02 pm

What's the name of the wholesaler?

Affinity

Post by Affinity » Wed May 28, 2008 4:40 pm

alfom wrote:If the answer is "No" then i'll have to consider a gradual phase out of my fax number in favour of a new Exetel Fax2Email number. Downside of this approach is that I would need to wait longer to upgrade to ADSL2.
If the number cannot be ported and you can have a second line installed, then the original line could be rented as a pre-paid line from Telstra at lesser cost. Use that line only for fax until you are ready to give it up.
http://www.telstra.com.au/telstraprepai ... /index.htm

This will save you paying extra for FaxDuet and it takes the ADSL2 problem away. The downside is the installation or activation of a second phone line.

Affinity

Post by Affinity » Wed May 28, 2008 4:42 pm

eecchhoo wrote:Will the new provider able to provide the service in WA? if yes, that's a great move.
Current ADSL2+ is with Optus, you can get this product in WA now depending on your exchange capability -- ie having an Optus DSLAM and available ports.

Affinity

Post by Affinity » Wed May 28, 2008 4:43 pm

robytseng wrote:The biggest problem I have is that I want to refer as many of my friends to Exetel but they currently have a Bundled Home Phone / ADSL1 service with Optus so they are unable to churn to Exetel. I hope a switch in the provider will allow the churn as it is a win-win situation!
I wasn't aware that was a problem.... perhaps transfer as an ADSL1 product and then move to ADSL2+ later.

James
Exetel Staff

Post by James » Wed May 28, 2008 5:06 pm

vfast wrote:As a new ADSL2 customer I've been pretty disappointed at the bandwidth available peak or off peak. My connections are strong, but in reality I'm no better off than ADSL1.

I'd welcome and change that can provide faster throughput.

Obviously the Optus link is nearing 100% utilisation, this is apparent in the 1 year graph on the support pages.
It doesn't show that at all.

The Optus ADSL2 link, like every other part of the network is continually upgraded as volume increases.

The provisioning provided by Exetel is far more than most, if not all, ISPs provide to ADSL users and, in Exetel's case, exceeds the back haul capacity of at least some of the links provided by the carriers we use.

ottyacat

Post by ottyacat » Wed May 28, 2008 5:13 pm

Theres no adsl2 in my area (Mornington, vic) but non bundeled plans would be good again, (for getting other people to sign up)

Cheers

hmsnowden

Post by hmsnowden » Wed May 28, 2008 5:36 pm

I think Exetel is great value compared to other ISPs in Australia and the service is very good. Recent changes to phone support were well received and show commitment to customers. Also lower prices and more data are always welcome. I would subscribe to a naked adsl 2 service to Bribie island QLD 4507 if available. Please advise.

BZ

Post by BZ » Wed May 28, 2008 6:13 pm

nbrooky wrote: Most VOiP providers can do this, the feei s usually only around $55 to transfer.
Not correct.

Some do, Most Don't!

Check out the Whirlpool Wiki, I started the page on Local Number Portability ages ago when I was researching this.
http://whirlpool.net.au/wiki/?tag=LNP

peteru

Post by peteru » Wed May 28, 2008 6:14 pm

I moved from iiNet Phone with iiNet ADSL2+ at St. Leonards exchange to iiNet Phone + Exetel ADSL2+ at Northbridge Exchange. I would have liked to switch my phone to Exetel as well, but apparently Optus only service our area with cable and don't have a DSLAM at Northbridge.

I must say that even though both connections were to Powertel DSLAMs and my sync speeds are comparable in both locations, I find that iiNet was faster for most of my use. I used to routinely get download speeds from Gentoo mirrors of around 1.7Mbytes/s, with Exetel, I am lucky if it gets above 300kBytes/s. BitTorrent speed is poor as well. I've never had a total torrent speed greater than about 300kBytes/s with Exetel, with iiNet such speeds were normal and on good days I would get over 1.2 Mbytes/s. I have seen the occasional bursts of traffic go at over 1.6MBytes/s while with Exetel, so it is clearly possible, it's just not normal.

Switching to a new provider that could address these speed issues would be a plus - their capacity to carry traffic should be considered.

While the speed issue is something that irks me a bit, it's not the main change that I would advocate. I would have liked a Phone with ADSL2+ plan. Having a selection of providers that can offer ADSL2+ and Phone in most exchanges would be good. Of course, the pricing should be competitive, which means a line rental of well under $30/month with untimed local calls under 15¢ and all the usual services that one would expect from a full-priced Telstra phone line. Given that non-Telstra phone plans waive the CSG, they need to have pricing set accordingly. If the difference is less than $5 a month, I might as well go with Telstra for the phone and have the CSG.

ForumAdmin

Post by ForumAdmin » Wed May 28, 2008 6:43 pm

hmsnowden wrote:I think Exetel is great value compared to other ISPs in Australia and the service is very good. Recent changes to phone support were well received and show commitment to customers. Also lower prices and more data are always welcome. I would subscribe to a naked adsl 2 service to Bribie island QLD 4507 if available. Please advise.
I think places like Bribie are going to need HSDPA services.

vk3xem

Post by vk3xem » Wed May 28, 2008 6:43 pm

Unless eXetel can pull off a deal with Tel$tra there is not much hope of the majority of us having access to ADSL2+.
The views I present are that of my own and NOT of any organisation I may belong to.

73 de Simon, VK3XEM

Sparks

Post by Sparks » Wed May 28, 2008 6:51 pm

When I changed to ADSL2+, I had to change my phone to Optus as they were the only ones offering ADSL2+ in the Orange exchange at the time. Changing to this combined package meant loosing my pensioner rebate I used to get with Telstra. I weighed things up and decided it was still the best thing to do at the time. Here is hoping that Exetel will keep this arrangement with Optus of a combined package because I would hate to switch and change again just for the sake of switching. Leave well enough alone please, I have enough worries in my life without having to worry about marketplace politics.