Possible New ADSL2 Plans For New Financial Year

Old, inactive threads
flak

Re: Possible New ADSL2 Plans For New Financial Year

Post by flak » Thu May 29, 2008 10:18 am

Yoshi_900 wrote:also how about increasing the cap for the off-peak data usage (fair Play)....... but after checking the amount i see that it already been increased from 300mb to 600mb which is a good thing if people are getting slow rates in the off-peak period.
It's off topic, but Fair Play doesn't exist anymore.

ForumAdmin

Post by ForumAdmin » Thu May 29, 2008 11:11 am

jamboy wrote:I too am very happy with the service currently provided by Exetel. My only suggestions for improvement would be a proxy server with uncounted downloads, and maybe development of the streaming music and video system we saw glimpses of earlier.
David
The major, and very costly, issue with 'free traffic' is that it isn't 'free' for your ISP.

As International IP costs have continually fallen there has been no corresponding decrease in the connectivity costs between you and your ISP unless the ISP has implemented its own back haul from its own DSLAMs - in those circumstances the cost has reduced substantially but remains a cost - not free.

As Exetel provides 48 gb of uncharged off peak download I would have hoped that would cater for most peoples cache/mirror needs.

Having said that we will consider your suggestion but it isn't easy to do.

hsv ryan

Post by hsv ryan » Thu May 29, 2008 1:27 pm

I got connected up earlier this month and I do not have any problems with Optus' DSLAM, however i think there needs to be more bandwidth provided a) between the Optus ADSL2+ server to Exetels servers and b) more bandwidth provided to the internet from exetel's servers. Whilst I am getting a good sync speed (once my distance from exchange is taken into account) I am having trouble sustaining a decent and constant download rate. after looking at the network traffic graphs, it really does seem like the fibre links have reached or are at near capacity....

I know Optus DSLAMs aren't the problem as a friend living near me has ADSL2+ through Optus as his ISP and he is sustaining much higher and more consistent download rates.

Col

Post by Col » Thu May 29, 2008 1:32 pm

A 6 month contract would be very nice, along with large quota plans to combat TPG, iPrimus, aaNet etc.

ForumAdmin

Post by ForumAdmin » Thu May 29, 2008 1:40 pm

hsv ryan wrote: 1) however i think there needs to be more bandwidth provided a) between the Optus ADSL2+ server to Exetels servers and b) more bandwidth provided to the internet from exetel's servers. Whilst I am getting a good sync speed (once my distance from exchange is taken into account) I am having trouble sustaining a decent and constant download rate. after looking at the network traffic graphs, it really does seem like the fibre links have reached or are at near capacity....

2) I know Optus DSLAMs aren't the problem as a friend living near me has ADSL2+ through Optus as his ISP and he is sustaining much higher and more consistent download rates.
1) As you are a new user (first post) you need to understand that Exetel has upgraded all links on its network on a month by month basis from 10 mbps in February 2004 to 2.4 gbps today. The links will always be utilised at around 90% of their capacity because it would waste a great deal of money to utilise them any less.

2) The speed of ADSL depends on many factors including distance, quality of joins in the line from you to the exchange, copper dimension and your internal wiring. Different users connected to the same exchange will get different speeds.

In any event please obey the forum rules and stay on an individual thread's topic - which, in this case, has nothing to do with current performance on your individual service.

James
Exetel Staff

Post by James » Thu May 29, 2008 1:43 pm

Col wrote:A 6 month contract would be very nice, along with large quota plans to combat TPG, iPrimus, aaNet etc.
Exetel's plans are much better value than the plans provided by those three companies.

ForumAdmin

Post by ForumAdmin » Thu May 29, 2008 1:52 pm

Col wrote:A 6 month contract would be very nice, along with large quota plans to combat TPG, iPrimus, aaNet etc.
A six month contract could be done.

The "large" download plans from TPG and AAPT etc are pretty much smoke and mirrors with 75% of the downloads being within a 6 hour period. Good head line - pity about the small print or in iPrimus case no reference at all on the web site documentation when I had a look (and I'd be the first to admit I'm a truly lousy proof reader) - I had to make a phone call to be told that 150 gb of the 200 gb was between 3 am and 9 am.

So if you are suggesting a change in off peak time to 3 am to 9 am and a download allowance of 150 gb - no problem.

If you want to keep half of each day as no charge (and I would think the overwhelming majority of current users would want to do that) then it gets harder to implement.

We've tried to run Exetel, from day one, as openly and honestly as possible with no 'marketing scams' or other misleading "offers" I think the way some ISPs are promoting "200 gb downloads" goes past marketing scam.

So do you/other customers think a 3 am to 9 am 'massive download' period is preferable to 48 gb in a 12 hour period?

My view, based on a fair amount of experience in 'designing' plans and then tracking customer demographics and usage of plans would say not - but the whole purpose of asking for ideas is to get different views so all arguments to the contrary are welcome.

GLOpro

Post by GLOpro » Thu May 29, 2008 2:13 pm

ForumAdmin wrote:
A six month contract could be done.

So if you are suggesting a change in off peak time to 3 am to 9 am and a download allowance of 150 gb - no problem.

If you want to keep half of each day as no charge (and I would think the overwhelming majority of current users would want to do that) then it gets harder to implement.

So do you/other customers think a 3 am to 9 am 'massive download' period is preferable to 48 gb in a 12 hour period?
6 months is nice, but 12 is fair (but your service and value is what keeps customers)

48gb midnight to midday is way better than 6hrs of 150gb.

If anything, introduce a speed throttle for heavy downloaders, or possibly offer them a small fee for a larger off peak download.

Free upload is very good, and is a keeper.

Just my thoughts.

rodf

Post by rodf » Thu May 29, 2008 2:56 pm

I note that Telstra have ADSL2 available in Luddenham & Mulgoa NSW but Optus does not.

Are there any other providers who have ADLS2 availiable in either of these Suburbs?

Thanks.

funkz

Post by funkz » Thu May 29, 2008 2:58 pm

ForumAdmin wrote:
Col wrote:We've tried to run Exetel, from day one, as openly and honestly as possible with no 'marketing scams' or other misleading "offers" I think the way some ISPs are promoting "200 gb downloads" goes past marketing scam.

My view, based on a fair amount of experience in 'designing' plans and then tracking customer demographics and usage of plans would say not - but the whole purpose of asking for ideas is to get different views so all arguments to the contrary are welcome.
This is why I love Exetel, so please don't change. And I think I speak for a lot of users in saying that. Keep with the honest, open-ness and listening to your users (this forum requesting ideas/feedback is great). That's something that has been totally lost in >90% of other ISPs.

I think most (definately me) much prefer 48GB 12am-12pm than the 200GB alternative.

ForumAdmin

Post by ForumAdmin » Thu May 29, 2008 4:13 pm

Something we have been 'toying with' for a little while is to make a period of the 12 midnight to 12 noon period 'uncounted'.

My hesitation in doing this some time ago was that it made a much easier 'story to have two periods of 12 hours each and make the off peak really useful to everyone as it includes mornings up to midday which are particularly useful to peple on weekends, public holidays and anyone who is at home at those times (shift work/home office etc).

So, in theory we could insert an 'uncounted period of, say, from 3 am to 9 am each day while still providing the high allowance for the rest of the time.

As everything we do gets copied, usually badly and implemented even more badly and messily, I have hesitated to do such a thing.

Personally, looking at the demographics of our current users, it doesn't seem to be particularly attractive but, as I said, all ideas would be considered.

Affinity

Post by Affinity » Thu May 29, 2008 4:21 pm

ForumAdmin wrote:Something we have been 'toying with' for a little while is to make a period of the 12 midnight to 12 noon period 'uncounted'.

My hesitation in doing this some time ago was that it made a much easier 'story to have two periods of 12 hours each and make the off peak really useful to everyone as it includes mornings up to midday which are particularly useful to peple on weekends, public holidays and anyone who is at home at those times (shift work/home office etc).

So, in theory we could insert an 'uncounted period of, say, from 3 am to 9 am each day while still providing the high allowance for the rest of the time.

As everything we do gets copied, usually badly and implemented even more badly and messily, I have hesitated to do such a thing.

Personally, looking at the demographics of our current users, it doesn't seem to be particularly attractive but, as I said, all ideas would be considered.
If there was never any problems with speeds 24/7 or b/w 3am and 9am, then I would agree with having an uncounted period, but there is too much chance of abuse, particularly with those close to the exchange on nice fast ADSL2+ connection, or even 8M ADSL1 connections for that matter.

CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by CoreyPlover » Thu May 29, 2008 5:09 pm

ForumAdmin wrote:Something we have been 'toying with' for a little while is to make a period of the 12 midnight to 12 noon period 'uncounted'.

I was just about to suggest something similar. Not "uncounted", but a three tiered system of some sort:
  • Midday to midnight - Peak (quota based on plan, charged at $3/Gb excess or shaped)
  • Midnight to 3am and 9am to midday - Off-Peak (24Gb, charged at $3/Gb excess or shaped)
  • 3am and 9am - Ludicrously off-Peak (100Gb, charged at $3/Gb excess or shaped)
I'm actually very amazed that an uncounted third tier is feasible, especially if it would not reduce the 48Gb allowance for the remaining 6 hours off-peak! I too think it opens possibilities of abuse, but users only need to realise that this uncounted period is free and so, even if other users benefit more then they do, it is still of benefit to everybody utilising it.

If you were to implement it, may I suggest that you shift it slightly earlier (i.e. 2am to 8am or even 1am to 7am) so that it does not encroach on any current users' early morning browsing experiences. Even if there is no net effect on morning browsing, moving the period to, say, 2am to 8am would stop users from *thinking* there is an effect.

I also think that under such a proposal there would be a benefit in reducing the counted off-peak quota to 24Gb (i.e. pro-rata from 12 hours of 48Gb off-peak to 6 hours of 24Gb off-peak + uncounted). This could possibly push some usage from the off-peak fringes (of midnight to 3am and 9am to midday) into the central uncounted interval of 3am and 9am, and possible give late night / early morning users some speed benefits.

Col

Post by Col » Thu May 29, 2008 6:04 pm

ForumAdmin wrote:...So if you are suggesting a change in off peak time to 3 am to 9 am and a download allowance of 150 gb - no problem..
....We've tried to run Exetel, from day one, as openly and honestly as possible with no 'marketing scams' or other misleading "offers" I think the way some ISPs are promoting "200 gb downloads" goes past marketing scam.
I wasn't wanting for Exetel to copy iPrimus like aaNet did. I was just thinking that there are plans in the market that cost more than any of Exetel's plans. If you could maybe keep increasing the peak quota by another 2 or so tiers and reach near the $ amount of some of other ISP's plans (even if GB is lower or higher compared to the other ISP) then it's just more chances of an Exetel plan suiting someone. I certainly don't want Exetel to scam anyone.
OMG!!!!!! :o :shock: :D

I do not know if I agree with Corey's setup or not. Yes, it will stop leechers from abusing it with the 100GB limit, but there will also be many people who, because of that limit, will try to purposely reach 100GB just so they feel that they haven't wasted anything. I do agree however that the uncounted or "Ludicrously off-Peak" period should be between 2am and 8am though for the reasons Corey stated. Also, if you do round the normal off-peak quota down round it off into the tens (20, 30, 40).

peteru

Post by peteru » Thu May 29, 2008 6:12 pm

In regard to what CoreyPlover is proposing - I think it's getting too complex to be able to sell easily. I also don't like the idea of splitting the allowances into so many windows or the proposed trade offs. Id' much rather have a 12 hour window to get the bulk of my data than have to handle four windows with three sets of rules. The other issue is that shorter windows only make sense if you can sustain fast data rates during those periods. That would not be possible in the leech-time window.

For me, the 12-12 plan + 12-12 bonus scheme works. The only improvement in this area that I would like, would be uncounted traffic (at all times) from Exetel servers, such as the Gentoo mirror - mainly because my usage pattern results in me using that resource mainly during peak hours.