Slow speeds

Old, inactive threads
rectangle

Re: Slow speeds

Post by rectangle » Wed Jun 04, 2008 8:22 am

Please tell me that this is not a permanent situation. I certainly didn't realise that I would get ridiculous slow speeds for 12 hours a day when I churned to Exetel last week and I didn't see anything in the plan I signed up for mentioning this fact! Is the problem being caused by the off peak bonus? Bloody hell, I don't really want the extra 48gb if that is causing the problem. I just want the reasonably constant fast speeds I was getting with my previous ADSL 8mb connection. Surely this situation is not acceptable and I should be able to get out of my contract as Exetel are not supplying the speeds suggested here:
http://www.exetel.com.au/a_plan_pricing_adsl2.php
From 1536/256 kbps
Speeds Achieved By Any User Will Depend On Many Factors And Can, Under Ideal Circumstances, Reach 19 mbps Down
(Average Speed Obtained From 100 Test Users In August 2007 Was 9.5 mbps Down And 840 kbps Up)
I've yet to obtain the minimum speed stated any morning yet!

3lusiv3

Post by 3lusiv3 » Wed Jun 04, 2008 9:50 am

^^^ Yeah, off peak speeds are pretty bad. Personally, I'd prefer if exetel lowers the off peak quota if the network can't cope with the demand.

CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by CoreyPlover » Wed Jun 04, 2008 10:56 am

rectangle wrote:I don't really want the extra 48gb if that is causing the problem
3lusiv3 wrote:Personally, I'd prefer if exetel lowers the off peak quota if the network can't cope with the demand
The 48Gb off-peak quota is a prominent feature of Exetel plans and it would take a very major policy change to remove it. Also, the MRTG graphs provided in the member's area suggest that there is sufficient bandwidth in the Exetel controlled portion of the network, so the issue is probably more systemic than you realise (maybe related to the Carrier capacity and not Exetel; perhaps it is due to a particular exchange having a high proportion of high-downloading users).

rectangle, what speeds do you achieve outside of these off-peak hours? And when did you churn / when did these off-peak speed issues start?

rectangle

Post by rectangle » Wed Jun 04, 2008 11:43 am

CoreyPlover wrote:
rectangle, what speeds do you achieve outside of these off-peak hours? And when did you churn / when did these off-peak speed issues start?
Just tested it @ 12:10PM
Your line speed is 4.16 Mbps (4156 kbps).
Your download speed is 520 KB/s (0.51 MB/s)
but I often get even higher - a line speed up to 7000kbps :) . I churned on the May 28. Noticed the speed problems on June 1, but didn't really try downloading anything in the AM before that.

CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by CoreyPlover » Wed Jun 04, 2008 12:18 pm

OK. 7Mbps down to 1Mbps is more severe than expected. It may be due to the start of the month. The MRTG usage patterns are showing a different off-peak download pattern since 1 June compared to late May. So hopefully is is just a random experience thing and it settles down a bit further into June. I do not know if there is anything more that can be done because clearly your connection is operating well during peak times; it is just oscillating between 7Mbps peaks and 1Mbps troughs over a 24 hour period.

bjc

Post by bjc » Fri Jun 06, 2008 12:27 am

Speeds are becoming a joke, up and down like a yo-yo!
Am compiling downloads at different times but can be anywhere from 850kb/s in peak one day down to 300kb/s the next, exactly the same time of day and off peak, dont even get me started... 36kb/s What!!!

liverpoolmarky

Post by liverpoolmarky » Fri Jun 06, 2008 12:51 am

Could I please have my connection and constant slow speeds looked into by somebody at Exetel?
I submitted test results from the 3x simultaneous tests (microsoft, apple and extel) and numerous tests from the exetel speed site and speedcheck, to Exetel Support back on monday, but have had no response since being initially advised to submit these tests from Exetel support (Jason M).
Im connected to the Deakin exchange in Canberra and am only about 1.3km away from it. Ive been patient in seeing if it would settle down with time, but it hasn't.
It is clearly dropping dramatically [- tonight its down to only 44KB/sec (maximum)] during the off-peak (midnight to midday) time. During the peak time, it rises up to 450KB/sec, which isnt anything too special for ADSL2+, but if its the best i can get, ill take it (provided i can get it consistently).

I know people are setting up their downloads to go over midnight to midday, but should my speed be dropping anywhere near this much? (I doubt it).
I can barely load up 2 webpages at the same time, let alone stream any short videos. And I was hoping to stream some Euro 2008 soccer matches come Saturday night, but if the speeds stick like this I'll have no hope I reckon.

My ticket number to Exetel Support was : 731066

lb36

Post by lb36 » Fri Jun 06, 2008 1:08 am

Same situation goes here. I'm now watching a 3 mins Youtube video with a speed of 20 KB/s. I've to wait for it to finish downloading and watch it one portion at a time. I felt like sharing a adsl2 with the whole city. It's been happening since the beggining of this month.

welovesound

Post by welovesound » Fri Jun 06, 2008 9:16 am

AAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGH.

Plan Type: INCPHONE A
Monthly Access Charge: $65.00
Peak Download Limit (Mbyte): 12000
Excess Downloads per Gbyte: $3.00
Service Line Speed: 18000/900

Maybe Exetel should start a 'fee shaping' policy where users only have to pay a small 'shaped' fee, instead of the normal fee, when the average speed they are getting is piss poor!!!
Attachments
Picture 1.png
Picture 1.png (27.98 KiB) Viewed 1264 times

Roscoe

Post by Roscoe » Fri Jun 06, 2008 5:39 pm

I am on an ADSL2+ bundled plan in Bundaberg Qld and my speeds in general are fairly sluggish.

Your current bandwidth reading is: 1.07 Mbps
which means you can download at 137.05 KB/sec. from our servers.

I have done the isolation test as instructed and all seems to be in order at this end.

Still can't work out what speed I should expect - I live about 3km from the exchange (street distance).

I logged a fault ticket earlier today, heres hoping for the best.

UPDATE: further testing (average of multiple downloads) it would seem that I am maxed at 1.5MB-sec. My modem auto-synchs as G.DMT although I can manually synch as ADSL2+ but there is no speed difference either way.
Last edited by Roscoe on Sat Jun 07, 2008 9:47 am, edited 3 times in total.

cattor

Post by cattor » Fri Jun 06, 2008 5:44 pm

It must be a system fault or server side speed restriction there. Sounds like the speed is limited in 1.5mb/s.

lee

Post by lee » Sat Jun 07, 2008 12:32 am

Test run on 07/06/2008 @ 12:28 AM

Mirror: OptusNet
Data: 600 KB
Test Time: 13.05 secs

Your line speed is 374 kbps (0.37 Mbps).
Your download speed is 47 KB/s (0.05 MB/s).

very slow today
something is wrong again

atop

Post by atop » Sat Jun 07, 2008 9:51 am

Speed went down from 8Mbps to 800 kbps exactly at midnight for the past 2 days.

I have not used internet at night before. Is it common for Exetel to reduce speed 10 times during off-peak times?

I am on Rockdale exchange, NSW.

exchef

Post by exchef » Sat Jun 07, 2008 9:54 am

liverpoolmarky wrote:Could I please have my connection and constant slow speeds looked into by somebody at Exetel?
I submitted test results from the 3x simultaneous tests (microsoft, apple and extel) and numerous tests from the exetel speed site and speedcheck, to Exetel Support back on monday, but have had no response since being initially advised to submit these tests from Exetel support
as did I..

Im connected to the Manning exchange in Perth and am only about 2km away from it.
liverpoolmarky wrote: Ive been patient in seeing if it would settle down with time, but it hasn't.
It is clearly dropping dramatically [- tonight its down to only 44KB/sec (maximum)] during the off-peak (midnight to midday) time. During the peak time, it rises up to 450KB/sec, which isnt anything too special for ADSL2+, but if its the best i can get, ill take it (provided i can get it consistently).

I know people are setting up their downloads to go over midnight to midday, but should my speed be dropping anywhere near this much? (I doubt it).
Exactly the same speeds that I've been getting. My naked dsl has been connected for 10 days and this has been happening from day 1. Like Liverpooly, I submitted my speeds on Monday (to James D) and resent the email on Thursday night, with updated speeds, but I'm still yet to get a reply......

I'd settle for a consistent 4Mbps right now, but I think my line should be capable of more.

Current modem stats:
Item.................Downstream.....Upstream.......Unit
SNR Margin.............12................14...........dB
Line Attenuation.......30................17...........dB
Data Rate..............7862 ..............812......... kbps

Is this the kind of service I should expect from Exetel now?

Doggins

Post by Doggins » Sat Jun 07, 2008 10:05 am

I'm really really slow too

has been happening for about a week, this morning it is REALLY bad

Your current bandwidth reading is:

644.50kbps

which means you can download at 80.56 KB/sec. from our servers.

and thats on exetel servers,
Back in the good old days I could download from exetel servers at LEAST 1,000 KB/sec