Are P2P downloads being Shaped fulltime now?

Old, inactive threads
kjd

Are P2P downloads being Shaped fulltime now?

Post by kjd » Mon Jun 02, 2008 1:57 am

Would seem so no matter what the number of seeds are I haven't been able to download any file from a tracker at any sort of respectable speed. So the question is are p2p speeds being throttled 24/7????

James D

Re: Are P2P downloads being Shaped fulltime now?

Post by James D » Mon Jun 02, 2008 4:12 am

kjd wrote:So the question is are p2p speeds being throttled 24/7????
No

datman

Post by datman » Mon Jun 02, 2008 8:53 am

CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by CoreyPlover » Mon Jun 02, 2008 9:22 am

• What speeds and swarm size are you getting? and at what times are these torrents downloading?
  • What torrent / tracker? If you like, you can PM me a link to one of your torrents and I can try my connection to compare speeds
  • What are your normal speeds (modem sync speed and speed test results from speedtest.net, or a download via mirror.exetel.com.au)?

kjd

Post by kjd » Sat Jul 26, 2008 1:06 am

DownStream Connection Speed 1536 kbps
UpStream Connection Speed 256 kbps
^^^ Sync
Doesn't matter what torrent it is they are all extremely slow. I have a netgear DG834G with the latest firmware and all ports are forwarded correctly Also download speeds are consistently slow with Azureus and Utorrent
Hope there is something that can be done about this.
Can't get a speed higher then 30kB/s no matter the torrent Other peers on the same torrent are posting 400kB/s downloads so its not the quality of the torrent.

This has been like this for weeks and weeks, I have changed my IP and no result please can someone look into this???

CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by CoreyPlover » Sat Jul 26, 2008 1:58 am

kjd wrote:DownStream Connection Speed 1536 kbps
What is your Exetel connection meant to be? ADSL1 or ADSL2+? These sync speeds indicate your service is either a 1.5Mbps service, or that your line has a 1.5Mbps stability profile on it preventing higher ADSL2+ sync speeds. If it is the later, you can follow up with Exetel to have the stability profile removed and this will definitely aid in increasing your speeds.
kjd wrote:Can't get a speed higher then 30kB/s no matter the torrent Other peers on the same torrent are posting 400kB/s downloads so its not the quality of the torrent.
Are you uploading simultaneously? Because a 1.5Mbps connection downloading and uploading at 30KB/s simultaneously is relatively close to maxed out (after accounting for TCP/IP and P2P overhead and the asymmetry of ADSL). At the other extreme, if you are not uploading at all, many clients and trackers will penalise you for leeching and also restrict your download speeds. So it might be a bit of a balancing act.

Also, you can also try reducing the number of simultaneously downloaded torrents, ensure you are downloading high seeded torrents, then increase your maximum connections and maximum connections per torrent from 100 to, say 200 or even more. My own rule of thumb is that each seed averages about 5-10KB/s and are connected about 5-10% of the time due to the queuing nature of P2P. Therefore 100 concurrent connections x 5KB/s x say 5% = 25KB/s throughput is not unexpected. Increasing the number of connections can help to increase the download speeds.
kjd wrote:This has been like this for weeks and weeks, I have changed my IP and no result please can someone look into this???
Unless your connection itself is experiencing a fault, there is probably no cause for Exetel to examine your line. The terms and conditions explicitly state they are able to restrict the traffic flow of P2P. So you either need to demonstrate your line is syncing low (I can't tell if you are meant to be ADSL1 or ADSL2+ but you are currently getting a solid 1.5Mbps ADSL sync) or that your ordinary HTTP download speeds are depressed (via, say, http://speedtest.net or http://www.exetel.com.au/speed)

kjd

Post by kjd » Sat Jul 26, 2008 11:16 am

kjd wrote:DownStream Connection Speed 1536 kbps
CoreyPlover wrote:What is your Exetel connection meant to be? ADSL1 or ADSL2+? These sync speeds indicate your service is either a 1.5Mbps service, or that your line has a 1.5Mbps stability profile on it preventing higher ADSL2+ sync speeds. If it is the later, you can follow up with Exetel to have the stability profile removed and this will definitely aid in increasing your speeds.
it is a 1.5 Mbps ADSL connection.
kjd wrote:Can't get a speed higher then 30kB/s no matter the torrent Other peers on the same torrent are posting 400kB/s downloads so its not the quality of the torrent.
Are you uploading simultaneously? Because a 1.5Mbps connection downloading and uploading at 30KB/s simultaneously is relatively close to maxed out (after accounting for TCP/IP and P2P overhead and the asymmetry of ADSL). At the other extreme, if you are not uploading at all, many clients and trackers will penalise you for leeching and also restrict your download speeds. So it might be a bit of a balancing act.
Doesnt matter if I upload or not can never exceed 30kB/s have tried all sorts of configs and it just doesn't matter.
Also, you can also try reducing the number of simultaneously downloaded torrents, ensure you are downloading high seeded torrents, then increase your maximum connections and maximum connections per torrent from 100 to, say 200 or even more. My own rule of thumb is that each seed averages about 5-10KB/s and are connected about 5-10% of the time due to the queuing nature of P2P. Therefore 100 concurrent connections x 5KB/s x say 5% = 25KB/s throughput is not unexpected. Increasing the number of connections can help to increase the download speeds.
Doesnt matter if I have one or ten going they are all the same. Doesnt matter what time of day. If Exetel are throttling 24/7 let me know and I'll churn. I may as well have the cheaper 512kbps connection if its going to be throttled.
kjd wrote:This has been like this for weeks and weeks, I have changed my IP and no result please can someone look into this???
Unless your connection itself is experiencing a fault, there is probably no cause for Exetel to examine your line. The terms and conditions explicitly state they are able to restrict the traffic flow of P2P. So you either need to demonstrate your line is syncing low (I can't tell if you are meant to be ADSL1 or ADSL2+ but you are currently getting a solid 1.5Mbps ADSL sync) or that your ordinary HTTP download speeds are depressed (via, say, http://speedtest.net or http://www.exetel.com.au/speed)
As I said if Exetel are restricting p2p 24/7 then I believe they aren't providing me the service I want. Sure I understand if its only when the network capacity is nearing its limit but if its just 24/7 then I'll be looking elsewhere.

CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by CoreyPlover » Sat Jul 26, 2008 12:06 pm

kjd wrote:As I said if Exetel are restricting p2p 24/7 then I believe they aren't providing me the service I want. Sure I understand if its only when the network capacity is nearing its limit but if its just 24/7 then I'll be looking elsewhere.
Exetel do not throttle individual connections. The only advice / statement I can give you is that other users (including 1.5Mbps users I'm sure) are able to download P2P at speeds higher than 30KB/s. Perhaps other 1.5Mbps users reading this post can reply with their experience for you to compare.

kjd

Post by kjd » Sun Jul 27, 2008 2:24 pm

CoreyPlover wrote:
kjd wrote:As I said if Exetel are restricting p2p 24/7 then I believe they aren't providing me the service I want. Sure I understand if its only when the network capacity is nearing its limit but if its just 24/7 then I'll be looking elsewhere.
Exetel do not throttle individual connections. The only advice / statement I can give you is that other users (including 1.5Mbps users I'm sure) are able to download P2P at speeds higher than 30KB/s. Perhaps other 1.5Mbps users reading this post can reply with their experience for you to compare.

Thank you but that doesn't offer me and insight as to why my p2p is slow. I've done everything I can from my end it it isn't any better. I just may as well change speed back to 512kbps as I am not even getting over 30kB/s.