Possible New 'ADSL1' Plans For New Financial Year

Old, inactive threads
ForumAdmin

Possible New 'ADSL1' Plans For New Financial Year

Post by ForumAdmin » Tue Jun 03, 2008 11:28 am

Why would an ADSL1 customer stay on an ADSL1 plan if their line is connected to an ADSL2 enabled exchange and they could get a faster service for less than they pay for the ADSL1 service?

Because they don't want to change from their current telephone line provider?

Because they don't want to enter in to a new contract?

Is there any other reason?

datman

Re: Possible New 'ADSL1' Plans For New Financial Year

Post by datman » Tue Jun 03, 2008 12:02 pm

maybe they would like to be able to churn more easily later down the track, from what i understand, once you move onto ADSL2 infrastructure the churn process is more complicated/expensive

Pity us poor souls whose exchanges are never going to be upgraded, our exchange is a tiny portable building on an empty block of land :(

flak

Post by flak » Tue Jun 03, 2008 1:07 pm

Perhaps they prefer the known reliable service wholesaled by Telstra as opposed to other services which allegedly suffer from provisioning, fault resolution and backhaul issues.

There is also the issue of waiving the CSG to get ADSL2+ on Optus infrastructure.

jbff

Post by jbff » Tue Jun 03, 2008 1:39 pm

ForumAdmin wrote:Why would an ADSL1 customer stay on an ADSL1 plan if their line is connected to an ADSL2 enabled exchange and they could get a faster service for less than they pay for the ADSL1 service?

Because they don't want to change from their current telephone line provider?

Because they don't want to enter in to a new contract?

Is there any other reason?
Mainly as you stated that I do not want to change telephone line provider, however looking at the forums, some people have problems with ADSL2. I don't want to take that chance. My ADSL1 line is rock solid & stable & I have been with Exetel since about 2004 or 2005 (I forget which year I joined).

trev12

Post by trev12 » Tue Jun 03, 2008 7:25 pm

some cant get asdl2 because telstar wont change thier exchange to asdl2 so they are stuck with it

dragon

Post by dragon » Wed Jun 04, 2008 11:25 am

my reason is not stated at all. I'm still on adsl1 because of the setup fee and the DID location.. not so much the DID though because i know u can change it if the Wollongong one comes out.
I've been with Exetel a couple of years now and have wanted to change to naked adsl2+ since it came out, but dont have the money for setup fee :( (im a student)
when/if a wollongong DID comes out or the fee is lowered i migh tbe able to get it then..:P

lordvader

Post by lordvader » Wed Jun 04, 2008 3:22 pm

I'm sticking with ADSL1 primarily as I don't want to change phone provider, and frankly, with the speeds dsl2 offers, I'll burn through my quota in a few days !!!

Unless exetel start offering to ridiculous 200GB+ for $60/month plans (slight exaggeration), I'm happy where I am :)

Oh, and I don't want to upgrade my router !

Glasgow

Post by Glasgow » Wed Jun 04, 2008 3:58 pm

i find it hard to believe that its near impossible in Australia to get an 'unlimited' download plan.

Plans in the UK where i have come from (and no, i am not a whinging pom, i am not even English!) are almost all unlimited, and you can get a TRUE unlimited plan for about $60 a month, the only thing is the service is managed with a fair usage policy from around 2pm until about 11pm, with far greater speeds, how do i know? because i had one up until a few months ago, Australia easly lags behind the rest of the world when it comes to telecommunications

i am not posting this to bag Australia out, far from it, i am posting this to say that Exetel is certainly the better of the ISP's that there currently are.

i would like to see a change to some usage plans, 48Gb a month, if you download through the night, can easly be used up, and with an 8Mbt connection, it certainly would be munched within the week.

Over to you Exetel.

James
Exetel Staff

Post by James » Wed Jun 04, 2008 4:14 pm

Glasgow wrote:i find it hard to believe that its near impossible in Australia to get an 'unlimited' download plan.

Plans in the UK where i have come from (and no, i am not a whinging pom, i am not even English!) are almost all unlimited, and you can get a TRUE unlimited plan for about $60 a month, the only thing is the service is managed with a fair usage policy from around 2pm until about 11pm, with far greater speeds, how do i know? because i had one up until a few months ago, Australia easly lags behind the rest of the world when it comes to telecommunications

i am not posting this to bag Australia out, far from it, i am posting this to say that Exetel is certainly the better of the ISP's that there currently are.

i would like to see a change to some usage plans, 48Gb a month, if you download through the night, can easly be used up, and with an 8Mbt connection, it certainly would be munched within the week.

Over to you Exetel.
The difference between Australia and the UK, is that Australia is geographically isolated, and it costs a great deal of $$$$ to connect from Australia to the UK/USA/etc - if you can think of a way to bring this down, i'm sure we would be able to offer larger download limits.

Glasgow

Post by Glasgow » Fri Jun 06, 2008 4:06 pm

James wrote:
Glasgow wrote:i find it hard to believe that its near impossible in Australia to get an 'unlimited' download plan.

Over to you Exetel.
The difference between Australia and the UK, is that Australia is geographically isolated, and it costs a great deal of $$$$ to connect from Australia to the UK/USA/etc - if you can think of a way to bring this down, i'm sure we would be able to offer larger download limits.

I know that mate, thats why i am very grateful for what i get anyways.

its only a matter of time before Australia catches up

;)

codywilson

Post by codywilson » Fri Jun 06, 2008 4:41 pm

Some large monopolistic asshat thinks that enabling adsl2 @ my exchange while not providing decent plans is funny....

Now if you could get them to wholesale that to you, you would have an ADSL2 customer tomorrow...

vk3xem

Post by vk3xem » Fri Jun 06, 2008 5:05 pm

James wrote:The difference between Australia and the UK, is that Australia is geographically isolated, and it costs a great deal of $$$$ to connect from Australia to the UK/USA/etc - if you can think of a way to bring this down, i'm sure we would be able to offer larger download limits.
This is only part of the problem, the main reason is our half arsed way of rolling out infrastructure. As far as I'm concerned the only way is the Government to take over ALL infrastructure and completely remove it from retail hands. Then even Tel$tra can be relegated to a reseller and there will be a solid infrastructure compared to the crap we are dished up today!

Mobile phones and landlines should be included in this infrastructure as well.
The views I present are that of my own and NOT of any organisation I may belong to.

73 de Simon, VK3XEM

SmokeyWA

Post by SmokeyWA » Sat Jun 07, 2008 9:59 am

Because all ADSL2 ports are FULL!!?!?!

ForumAdmin

Post by ForumAdmin » Sat Jun 07, 2008 10:50 am

SmokeyWA wrote:Because all ADSL2 ports are FULL!!?!?!
True - but exchanges are continually ugraded with new ports.

SmokeyWA

Post by SmokeyWA » Sat Jun 07, 2008 7:58 pm

ForumAdmin wrote:
SmokeyWA wrote:Because all ADSL2 ports are FULL!!?!?!
True - but exchanges are continually ugraded with new ports.
Unless there is no more floor space and no way to extend the building, which is what I am told about South Perth.
So the only hope is to wait for technological progress to result in miniaturization and more ports being crammed into the same space.
Of course that means not adding ports, but throwing out the old stuff, and I don't know the economics of that.

Making ADSL1 uncompetitve (see iiNet) for people that don't have the option to switch to ADSL2 seems somewhat unfair. (Of course I realize it is not about being fair, but making money.)