Possible New 'ADSL1' Plans For New Financial Year

Old, inactive threads
ForumAdmin

Re: Possible New 'ADSL1' Plans For New Financial Year

Post by ForumAdmin » Sat Jun 07, 2008 10:20 pm

SmokeyWA wrote:
ForumAdmin wrote:
SmokeyWA wrote:Because all ADSL2 ports are FULL!!?!?!
True - but exchanges are continually ugraded with new ports.
Unless there is no more floor space and no way to extend the building, which is what I am told about South Perth.
So the only hope is to wait for technological progress to result in miniaturization and more ports being crammed into the same space.
Of course that means not adding ports, but throwing out the old stuff, and I don't know the economics of that.

Making ADSL1 uncompetitve (see iiNet) for people that don't have the option to switch to ADSL2 seems somewhat unfair. (Of course I realize it is not about being fair, but making money.)
More ports seldom require more floor space - just another blade in an already installed chassis.

SmokeyWA

Post by SmokeyWA » Sat Jun 07, 2008 11:17 pm

Now I am intrigued. What does "Exchange MDF is FULL. The exchange is out of MDF. This means when the current ADSL2+ ports have run out no more will be available." mean? (Source: http://www.adsl2exchanges.com.au).

What happens when all the slots in a rack have a blade in them?

ForumAdmin

Post by ForumAdmin » Sun Jun 08, 2008 3:52 am

SmokeyWA wrote:Now I am intrigued. What does "Exchange MDF is FULL. The exchange is out of MDF. This means when the current ADSL2+ ports have run out no more will be available." mean? (Source: http://www.adsl2exchanges.com.au).

Then you need floor space for another rack.

joshua.young

Post by joshua.young » Sun Jun 15, 2008 4:46 pm

SmokeyWA wrote:Now I am intrigued. What does "Exchange MDF is FULL. The exchange is out of MDF. This means when the current ADSL2+ ports have run out no more will be available." mean? (Source: http://www.adsl2exchanges.com.au).

DSLAM's are a piece of hardware that sit within a rack somewhere in a telephone exchange, TSN provide an apt example of what one looks like http://www.tsninternet.com.au/webpages/ ... age1lg.gif

Basically out of each DSLAM a number of cables are run from the rack into the MDF. (This is a very basic explanation, generally there a few more steps before the DSLAM connects to the MDF).

Now the MDF is the central distribution point within a telephone exchange, it's from here that services provided within the exchange (e.g, voice, data) will link up with the cables which feed out into the suburbs and in turn reach you.

To give you an idea of what an MDF looks like http://lh6.ggpht.com/manav.nit/RvqK_aVa ... imgmax=512

Now in your case Telstra have advised they have no more space left on the MDF, as such the ADSL provider has no way of connecting your ADSL port to the copper pair which connects to your property.

If you wanted me to elabroate a little further let me know :)

Edit: Just to clarify in some cases Telstra will remodel the MDF to allow for more ADSL services, more often then not Telstra will request that the access seeker contribute towards the cost, in which case the argument becomes "Why should I pay for this if other providers/Telstra can take advantage of the extra space as well". If the exchange were to be out of space some providers then opt for installing an external cabinet and running cables up into the exchange that way.
Last edited by joshua.young on Wed Jun 18, 2008 2:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

huh?

Post by huh? » Tue Jun 17, 2008 5:16 pm

Would number portability come into it? As in you can port your current telephone number across?
Not that ADSL2 is at Wyong yet and doesn't appear to be on the radar for an upgrade at all.

I do like the stability of my ADSL1 line though.
Where am I?

ForumAdmin

Post by ForumAdmin » Wed Jun 18, 2008 8:31 am

huh? wrote:Would number portability come into it? As in you can port your current telephone number across?
Not that ADSL2 is at Wyong yet and doesn't appear to be on the radar for an upgrade at all.

I do like the stability of my ADSL1 line though.
Moving from ADSL1 to ADS2 involves no number change.

Urban Jungle

Post by Urban Jungle » Wed Jun 18, 2008 8:07 pm

ForumAdmin wrote:Why would an ADSL1 customer stay on an ADSL1 plan if their line is connected to an ADSL2 enabled exchange and they could get a faster service for less than they pay for the ADSL1 service?

Is there any other reason?
I wish. My exchange is only adsl2 via Telstra so to get the same as Exetel will cost $140 vs $55 :). Pretty easy maths on my part. Now if Exetel gets good prices using Telstra ADSL2 I would change.

ForumAdmin

Post by ForumAdmin » Wed Jun 18, 2008 10:19 pm

Urban Jungle wrote:
ForumAdmin wrote:Why would an ADSL1 customer stay on an ADSL1 plan if their line is connected to an ADSL2 enabled exchange and they could get a faster service for less than they pay for the ADSL1 service?

Is there any other reason?
I wish. My exchange is only adsl2 via Telstra so to get the same as Exetel will cost $140 vs $55 :). Pretty easy maths on my part. Now if Exetel gets good prices using Telstra ADSL2 I would change.
Well, lets hope that, some day, Telstra gets around to wholesaling ADSL2 at a reasonable price.