Drop outs

Old, inactive threads
bordo

Drop outs

Post by bordo » Wed Jun 11, 2008 2:46 pm

Hi. I am getting constant drop outs on my ADSL1 service. I have dial tone on the phone service but it is fairly crackly. This has only started today. Should I lodge a fault with telstra or exetel?

bordo

Re: Drop outs

Post by bordo » Wed Jun 11, 2008 4:56 pm

anyone??

ymo

Post by ymo » Wed Jun 11, 2008 8:19 pm

If it were my service I would unplug everything except one telephone handset. Plug that into the first (or only) outlet and if the crackling still happens, call Telstra and report the noise fault to them.

If the phone on its own does not crackle, add the filter. If it now crackles, replace the filter.

Next add the modem and turn it on. Report your results.

CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by CoreyPlover » Wed Jun 11, 2008 9:25 pm

If you have audible crackling on the phone line in isolation (no modem, just single handset), then it is probably best to lodge a fault with Telstra, as this would also very likely be the cause of the ADSL drop outs.

Otherwise, try just the modem in isolation (unplug all filters, phone handsets and fax devices from the wall and remove any splitter between the modem and the wall socket). If the drop outs still occur while under isolation then lodge the fault with Exetel (via residentialsupport@exetel.com.au, or https://helpdesk.exetel.com.au or (02) 9927 1000 or 1300 788 141) and they will pass the fault up to Telstra if required.

madar

Post by madar » Mon Jun 16, 2008 11:54 am

I had this happen to me last night while on WoW.
All connections froze up and the PPP light on my modem went off.
I reset it, turned it on and off again, did an isolation test and nothing worked.
This was at 11:00pm though, so i'm hoping when i get home from work everything should be all sweet again.