Migrated to the Perth POP today now I have Slow Speeds

Old, inactive threads
James D

Re: Migrated to the Perth POP today now I have Slow Speeds

Post by James D » Mon Jun 23, 2008 11:58 am

Yes i have but you have included no results in your email.

The network team is currently investigating the issue.

davidhorvath81

Post by davidhorvath81 » Mon Jun 23, 2008 12:10 pm

is there slow speeds to all Perth POP users as I recently churned,I am in WA so i believe i would be on perths POP and am getting about 400kbs bandwith on an 8mb connection.VERY frustrating :evil:

James D

Post by James D » Mon Jun 23, 2008 12:58 pm

The network team has advised that there may be an issue with the link between Telstra and the WA POP.

This is being investigated now by Exetel and the supplier.

Franky

Post by Franky » Mon Jun 23, 2008 3:17 pm

Cheers James.

There's definitely a noticeable difference in speed now. Much improved!

James D

Post by James D » Mon Jun 23, 2008 3:25 pm

The issue that was found has been corrected now.

Matsky

Post by Matsky » Mon Jun 23, 2008 3:25 pm

Sorry to drop in on this thread, but is there a server in Perth now (not sure of how it all works). Do I need to do something to migrate to this Perth POP for better quality speed (I'm in WA). Cheers.

James
Exetel Staff

Post by James » Mon Jun 23, 2008 3:30 pm

Matsky wrote:Sorry to drop in on this thread, but is there a server in Perth now (not sure of how it all works). Do I need to do something to migrate to this Perth POP for better quality speed (I'm in WA). Cheers.
All WA/SA ADSL1 customers who are out of contract will be migrated across over the next couple of months.

eecchhoo

Post by eecchhoo » Mon Jun 23, 2008 7:17 pm

Thanks guys for taking care of this issue. My 1.5M speed is now able to download 150KB/s which is great.

Matsky

Post by Matsky » Tue Jun 24, 2008 3:29 pm

Yeah I also migrated today and am having problems. Some sites load great (like my bank, youtube, google, etc) but other sites won't load at all (ebay, facebook, hotmail, digg, etc). Not sure what's going on. My speed results are:

Broadband Speed Test Results

Test run on 24/06/2008 @ 03:27 PM

Mirror: Exetel
Data: 3 MB
Test Time: 10.8 secs

Your line speed is 2.27 Mbps (2268 kbps).

CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by CoreyPlover » Tue Jun 24, 2008 4:34 pm

Matsky wrote:Yeah I also migrated today and am having problems. Some sites load great (like my bank, youtube, google, etc) but other sites won't load at all (ebay, facebook, hotmail, digg, etc). Not sure what's going on.
Try flushing your browser cache, also try the following Command Prompt command: "IPCONFIG /flushdns". You could also try pinging the sites with "PING http://www.facebook.com" and then "PING 69.63.178.11". If the latter works and the former doesn't, it is a DNS issue. Alternatively if both work, you can also try lowering the MTU on your modem from 1500/1492 down to 1450 or even 1400. This commonly resolves web pages not loading.

Matsky

Post by Matsky » Tue Jun 24, 2008 5:00 pm

CoreyPlover wrote:Try flushing your browser cache, also try the following Command Prompt command: "IPCONFIG /flushdns". You could also try pinging the sites with "PING http://www.facebook.com" and then "PING 69.63.178.11". If the latter works and the former doesn't, it is a DNS issue. Alternatively if both work, you can also try lowering the MTU on your modem from 1500/1492 down to 1450 or even 1400. This commonly resolves web pages not loading.
Ok I cleared my browsing history and whatnot and ran that ipconfig prompt which just brought up one of those black boxes which dissapeared after a bit (too quick to read the text). Running "ping http://www.facebook.com" did the same thing, just the black box which dissapeared, but pinging the IP it brought up some text that said it was pinging with the ip and returned some numbers, or something like that, but it dissapeared too. I have no idea how to alter the MTU thing. Not really knowledgable on this stuff, so trying to keep up. Lots of sites still won't load, including facebook.

Matsky

Post by Matsky » Tue Jun 24, 2008 5:07 pm

Wait, sorry Corey, I just disconnected and reconnected my modem and all is working fine now! Sorry about that, seems like there was a simple fix. Cheers.

CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by CoreyPlover » Tue Jun 24, 2008 5:09 pm

Try the PING commands again inside a Command Prompt window (Start, Programs, Command Prompt, or maybe Start, Programs, Accessories, Command Prompt). This will allow you to see the output. You are looking to see if one ping fails with a message like "cannot find host" and the other succeeds with "Reply from x.x.x.x: bytes=32, etc".

It sounds like this is what is happening (the ping by domain name returns an error and exits but the ping by IP succeeds), so perhaps you can check your DNS settings in your modem's web interface to see is they are being retrieved correctly. You can also hard code the DNS settings on your computer by going Start, Settings, Control Panel, NetworkConnections, right clicking your Local Area Connection, properties, Internet protocol (TCP/IP), Properties, and then under the "Use the following DNS server addresses" enter 220.233.0.4 and 220.233.0.3.

Edit: Good to see it works now, so ignore the above. The reboot probably forced it to renegotiate and obtain the DNS servers