Phone causing drop outs

Old, inactive threads
gsi095

Phone causing drop outs

Post by gsi095 » Fri Jun 27, 2008 7:27 pm

Hi,

I have recently started experiencing constant drop outs of my ADSL2 connection. The light remains constant but when I go into the modem settings it is disconnected.

I did an isolation test and removed the phone attached to the filter and plugged the modem directly into the wall and I seemed to experience no problems (for that time).

Its obvious it is my phone (which was fine for 10 months) and the filter I have obviously isn't working. Before I get another filter that could experience the same problems, is there a better filter or other device to stop your phone doing this.

its driving me crazy

Dave

CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin

Re: Phone causing drop outs

Post by CoreyPlover » Fri Jun 27, 2008 8:23 pm

http://whirlpool.net.au/wiki/?tag=adslfp_03 is a good reference page for filter information. Look at the section that details which filters are ADSL2+ compliant

CLoSeR

Post by CLoSeR » Sat Jun 28, 2008 12:14 pm

Im using ACS Filters, I think they work great.

http://www.warcom.com.au/shop/flypage/N ... lters/2270

I bought mine from Warcom, these filters are certified for use with ADSL2+.

Regards,

CLoSeR
Need to log a fault ticket? Go here: https://helpdesk.exetel.com.au/

gsi095

Post by gsi095 » Thu Jul 03, 2008 11:16 am

I bought the Wacom filter but the line still drops out.

Can someone recommend a process to better diagnose this problem so I can fix it

Thanks

Dave

CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by CoreyPlover » Thu Jul 03, 2008 12:05 pm

There is no better process to diagnose this process: If the ADSL2+ is solid when the phone is unplugged, and drops out when it is connected, then the drops outs are being caused by phone interference. This test is pretty definitive. I don't know why the Warcom filter, so long as it is an ADSL2+ compliant one, isn't working for you.

Perhaps you can describe your setup in some more brief detail. I assume you have 2 wall points in your house: 1 with the modem plugged in directly, another with your phone with an inline filter between it and the wall point? If so, these Warcom ADSL2+ filters should work perfectly and I can only recommend returning the one you bought and trying a different ADSL2+ certified brand. You can also briefly try another phone handset if you have one. Some phones introduce more interference than others.

gsi095

Post by gsi095 » Thu Jul 03, 2008 1:04 pm

I have a Netcomm NB5 ADSL2+ router plugged into the Filter and the phone is also plugged into the filter, then into the wall point.

The funny thing is I had 8 months of no drop outs and in the past few months they have become more frequent.

will try the isolation test again to ensure that the first wasnt a fluke and go from there.

Thanks for your help will keep you posted

Dave

CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by CoreyPlover » Thu Jul 03, 2008 3:07 pm

gsi095 wrote:I have a Netcomm NB5 ADSL2+ router plugged into the Filter and the phone is also plugged into the filter, then into the wall point.
OK, just to clarify, you mean you have a "splitter"? i.e. one device that plugs into the wall socket with your phone connected to the 'phone' input port and your modem connected to your 'ADSL' port? And is your phone a cordless phone or a normal handset, because cordless phones introduce more interference than standard handsets so you may wish to try using a normal handset instead.

Yes. Try the isolation test again, and leave the phone unplugged (but still powered if it is a cordless phone) for as long as you need to convince yourself it genuinely is phone interference causing the drop outs. It is also possible that power packs (i.e. AC transformers power packs) on or around the modem could be interfering with your ADSL2+ signal.

gsi095

Post by gsi095 » Fri Jul 04, 2008 5:31 pm

redid isolation test and with phone disconnected it dropped out. last time must have just been lucky. will start new thread for new problem

CLoSeR

Post by CLoSeR » Sat Jul 05, 2008 8:43 am

gsi095 wrote:redid isolation test and with phone disconnected it dropped out. last time must have just been lucky. will start new thread for new problem
Since this issue is not resolved, lets not start creatign new threads.

If your getting dropouts with the modem in isolation, then log a fault with Exetel. If your absolutely sure, then Exetel may need to dispatch an engineer to check your line, however be advised that if the fault lies with your equipment or setup then you will be charged a fee for the dispatch.

Regards,

CLoSeR
Need to log a fault ticket? Go here: https://helpdesk.exetel.com.au/

gsi095

Post by gsi095 » Sat Jul 05, 2008 8:52 am

I have a friend who I was talking about this problem with yesterday and he had the same issue. His ISP was able to check the line while he was on his mobile phone and advise when there was interference. that is when he plugged in a phone they could tell if it caused the interference and he was able to settle the problem. Thats service!

I dont want to have to pay a few hundred dollars for what most ISP's offer as standard. I have followed the instructions in the forum post on drop outs and since the forum is where Exetel point you for assistance I think that this isnt unreasonable.

I will log a fault with the help desk and see what happens.

Dave

CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by CoreyPlover » Sat Jul 05, 2008 10:08 am

gsi095 wrote:I dont want to have to pay a few hundred dollars for what most ISP's offer as standard.
After you log a fault, Exetel will check things at their end to see if they can detect a misconfiguration or line fault and this is without cost. If you have adequately tested your equipment but a line fault remains, an engineer can be sent out to check your line. Again, if a fault is found there is no charge. The incorrect call out fee only applies if a technician is requested without a fault being found, or if the fault is located to be due to your hardware, or past your first wall point.

gsi095

Post by gsi095 » Mon Jul 07, 2008 10:28 am

My brother had a spare ADSL2 modem so I tried it and it hasnt dropped out. Exetel also advised they made a change so it was most likely a faulty 8 month old modem.

Thanks for your help

Dave

ForumAdmin

Post by ForumAdmin » Mon Jul 07, 2008 9:46 pm

gsi095 wrote:My brother had a spare ADSL2 modem so I tried it and it hasnt dropped out. Exetel also advised they made a change so it was most likely a faulty 8 month old modem.

Thanks for your help

Dave
Good to hear.