Work on ADSL service on no. has been completed. Now what?

Old, inactive threads
Varun

Work on ADSL service on no. has been completed. Now what?

Post by Varun » Fri Aug 29, 2008 5:52 pm

Hi,
I got a SMS advising me that
"Exetel has been advised that work on your ADSL service on Service Number: 02xxxxxxxx has been completed."
I tried connecting but without success.

What does it mean? Does it mean that work has been completed, but the line has not been activated yet?
I tried changing passwords though website ( obviously, I have another connection with Unwired ;-)), but does not help.
Changed the password back again.

I have purchased a Dynalink RTA1046VW modem, and have gone with the ADSL2+ with phone option, and the line has to be migrated from Telstra to Optus.

I have a 64 bit MS Vista Ultimate OS- does it cause problems in terms of hardware compatibility?
BTW, I can use this laptop to connect using wireless connecting to a TPG ADSL 2+ at my brother's place.
Steps that I followed are:
Used the supplied filter and connected it to the phone socket in wall.
Connected phone to the phone socket in the filter. It works.
Connected cable to ADSL socket in filter and other end to the Modem (line 1).
Connected the Laptop with modem using Ethernet Cable, and powered on both.
Setup a connection using a connection wizard.

This is the status that I receive on Exetel website
Exetel Submit Your Application To Supplier On This Date 2008-08-16
Supplier Confirms Receipt Of Your Application On This Date 2008-08-16
Estimated Date For Phone/ADSL2 Cut Over * 2008-08-28
Estimated Date For Line Activation * 2008-08-28
ADSL Activation Completed On This Date 2008-08-28
* This is a guide only, services may be completed earlier or later. Please monitor for Activation Completed.

Please help,
Regards,
Varun

James D

Re: Work on ADSL service on no. has been completed. Now what?

Post by James D » Fri Aug 29, 2008 6:07 pm

Can you please let us know if the ADSL light is on on the modem when you have plugged it is to the phone line, also can you please check that the phone line is plugged into the ADSL port on the back of the modem.

also please confirm that the ADSL filer is not on the line that is going into the modem.

Varun

Post by Varun » Fri Aug 29, 2008 6:20 pm

James D wrote:Can you please let us know if the ADSL light is on on the modem when you have plugged it is to the phone line, also can you please check that the phone line is plugged into the ADSL port on the back of the modem.
Thanks for the prompt reply.

This is how I have connected

Wall socket--> Filter
--> One connection goes to Phone, which works fine.
--> One connection goes to Modem, Line 1 socket at back.
(There are four sockets for phone lines:- Line1 Connected to line coming out from the Filter, Line2, PSTN, DSL)

Then the Laptop and Modem is connected through an Ethernet Cable connected to Ethernet Port 1 ( Again, there are 4 Ethernet ports at the back of the modem).
Lights that are on are
Power, Ethernet 1 and WLAN.
James D wrote:also please confirm that the ADSL filer is not on the line that is going into the modem.
Well, :oops: I have the filter connected directly to the phone socket in the wall. Should it be otherwise?
Do you want me to try connecting only the modem, without the phone?
Thanks for all your help,
Varun

James D

Post by James D » Fri Aug 29, 2008 7:00 pm

Yep,

can you please disconnect all phones and other devices on that line, then with out a filter just plug the phone line in from the call to the DSL port on the modem.

Then let us know if the ADSL light on the front is on or flashing etc.

Varun

Post by Varun » Fri Aug 29, 2008 7:55 pm

There is no ADSL light indicator on the modem.
This is the model:
http://www.netcomm.com.au/products/dynalink/rta1046vw

The only indicators at the front are Power,DSL,PPP then Ethernet 1,2,3,4, then WLAN, the Phone1, Phone2, and last but not least, VOIP ready.

I tried connecting the phoneline directly to modem, with all phones removed, but still the same result.
Maybe, I should try with the WinXP Laptop.

Are you with Exetel? If so, how can I know if the ADSL has been activated?
Thanks for all your help,
Cheers,
Varun

Gidget
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Gidget » Fri Aug 29, 2008 8:04 pm

Hi Varun

Do you still have your phone cable connected to Line 1 at the back of the modem? If so, this is incorrect - you should be connecting it to the DSL port on the back.

Where James says ADSL read DSL.

Cheers

Gidget
Log a fault ticket here
or call Exetel VOIP numbers (02) 8030 1000 or 1300 788 141 (log faults 24x7)
Exetel Support Portal

CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by CoreyPlover » Fri Aug 29, 2008 8:04 pm

Varun wrote:Well, :oops: I have the filter connected directly to the phone socket in the wall. Should it be otherwise?
Are you using a filter or splitter. A splitter is designed to plug into the wall socket and give you two output connections: 1 for ADSL & 1 for phone. I suspect this is what you are using and this is the intended setup. However for the time being it is definitely best to completely remove this splitter and all phones just to check if ADSL works.
Varun wrote:There is no ADSL light indicator on the modem.
DSL is equivalent to ADSL.
Varun wrote:This is how I have connected
Wall socket--> Filter
(There are four sockets for phone lines:- Line1 Connected to line coming out from the Filter, Line2, PSTN, DSL)
This doesn't sound right. Shouldn't you be connecting the ADSL output of the splitter to the DSL port of the Dynalink? The Line 1 and Line 2 are for phone handsets.

ADSL, VoIP and phone handsets work over the same telephone line, if you wish to use ordinary phone lines as well as ADSL on the same phone number, you need ensure each phone device is filtered and also you need to ensure the line going into the modem is unfiltered. So in summary, I think you need to connect up in the following way:
  • Wall point goes into a splitter. This allows you to connect a normal phone device and an ADSL modem simultaneously
  • Phone output of the splitter can go into a plain telephone handset. This means you can use the phone as normal and you receive a dialtone
  • ADSL output of the splitter goes into the DSL port of the modem. This is your ADSL connection and should allow your modem to sync
  • Computer, laptop etc can connect to the modem via ethernet cables as you already have
  • The remaining ports on the Dynalink are for VoIP purposes and you can avoid reading the rest if you like. The above points should already give you ADSL + land line functionality:
  • Line 1 and Line 2 allow you to connect normal handsets to the modem and to use them as VoIP handsets. If you have a VoIP account and the Dynalink is configured then it means that you can actually avoid using the ordinary landline completely because the Dynalink can convert plain telephone calls into VoIP calls, thus bypassing you normal phone carrier (Optus)
  • PSTN is a fall-back option. If you connect it up to a filtered wall socket, you can integrate everything: i.e. phones plugged into Line 1 and line 2 will naturally use VoIP as stated above, but if VoIP is unavailable they fall back to the ordinary phone line.
  • So an alternate configuration is wall point to a splitter. ADSL output to the DSL port and phone output to the PSTN port of the Dynalink, then plug your phone into Line 1 and configure VoIP on the Draytek.

Varun

Post by Varun » Fri Aug 29, 2008 8:35 pm

Gidget wrote:Hi Varun

Do you still have your phone cable connected to Line 1 at the back of the modem? If so, this is incorrect - you should be connecting it to the DSL port on the back.

Where James says ADSL read DSL.

Cheers

Gidget
Hi Gidget,
Thanks for your help.
I connected the phone line to DSL, and now it works!
Silly me!
Thanks everyone,
Cheers,

Varun

Post by Varun » Fri Aug 29, 2008 8:41 pm

CoreyPlover wrote:
Varun wrote:Well, :oops: I have the filter connected directly to the phone socket in the wall. Should it be otherwise?
Are you using a filter or splitter. A splitter is designed to plug into the wall socket and give you two output connections: 1 for ADSL & 1 for phone. I suspect this is what you are using and this is the intended setup. However for the time being it is definitely best to completely remove this splitter and all phones just to check if ADSL works.
Varun wrote:There is no ADSL light indicator on the modem.
DSL is equivalent to ADSL.
Varun wrote:This is how I have connected
Wall socket--> Filter
This doesn't sound right. Shouldn't you be connecting the ADSL output of the splitter to the DSL port of the Dynalink? The Line 1 and Line 2 are for phone handsets.

ADSL, VoIP and phone handsets work over the same telephone line, if you wish to use ordinary phone lines as well as ADSL on the same phone number, you need ensure each phone device is filtered and also you need to ensure the line going into the modem is unfiltered. So in summary, I think you need to connect up in the following way:
  • Wall point goes into a splitter. This allows you to connect a normal phone device and an ADSL modem simultaneously
  • Phone output of the splitter can go into a plain telephone handset. This means you can use the phone as normal and you receive a dialtone
  • ADSL output of the splitter goes into the DSL port of the modem. This is your ADSL connection and should allow your modem to sync
  • Computer, laptop etc can connect to the modem via ethernet cables as you already have
  • The remaining ports on the Dynalink are for VoIP purposes and you can avoid reading the rest if you like. The above points should already give you ADSL + land line functionality:
  • Line 1 and Line 2 allow you to connect normal handsets to the modem and to use them as VoIP handsets. If you have a VoIP account and the Dynalink is configured then it means that you can actually avoid using the ordinary landline completely because the Dynalink can convert plain telephone calls into VoIP calls, thus bypassing you normal phone carrier (Optus)
  • PSTN is a fall-back option. If you connect it up to a filtered wall socket, you can integrate everything: i.e. phones plugged into Line 1 and line 2 will naturally use VoIP as stated above, but if VoIP is unavailable they fall back to the ordinary phone line.
  • So an alternate configuration is wall point to a splitter. ADSL output to the DSL port and phone output to the PSTN port of the Dynalink, then plug your phone into Line 1 and configure VoIP on the Draytek.
Thanks, I will have to get a splitter. (Edited: Actually, that is a splitter + filter, so everything seems to be fine)
For now, I will try to get the connection through the Filter.
Thanks for your help.
Now, I have to get the wireless connection going ;-)
Any hints on setting up the WEN encryption on the wireless network?

Cheers,
Varun

CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by CoreyPlover » Fri Aug 29, 2008 10:55 pm

Varun wrote:Any hints on setting up the WEN encryption on the wireless network?
Refer to pp109-114 of your user manual (available from http://www.dynalink.co.nz/cms/uploads/f ... manual.pdf) in particular the WPA-PSK (p.113); choice of data encryption method doesn't matter. You can also examine Access Control (p.115) in addition to your choice of wireless security for a more granular control over exactly which computers are able to connect to your router.