ETA on a new connection?

Old, inactive threads
sevusal

ETA on a new connection?

Post by sevusal » Mon Dec 15, 2008 9:22 pm

i am currently with aaNet/EfTel and wanting to move to Exetel. I am based in MItcham, VIC.

can you please tell me if ADSL2+ is available in my area?
if so, what is the ETA to connect to Exetel?
What will be my downtime?
if i apply tomorrow, will i be able to get my connection setup b4 x-mas?

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Re: ETA on a new connection?

Post by Dazzled » Mon Dec 15, 2008 10:15 pm

1. See http://sq.exetel.com.au/cgi-bin/adsl2_with_phone.pl You need space on Optus exchange equipment.
2. See also http://exewiki.exetel.com.au/index.php? ... hone_Sales
3. There is no churn to ADSL2 in the normal sense, so it can be fiddly, unless your present service is wholesaled Telstra ADSL1. If it is, then it's a doddle, and you will hardly notice the short downtime.
4. As for Christmas - you're confident. Most people wait a couple of weeks. Existing ADSL1 from the other supplier will function during the wait.

Another possibility for some is using Powertel equipment (you keep your phone with Telstra etc), http://forum.exetel.com.au/viewtopic.ph ... a0#p229466 has an exchange list, but there are few enabled exchanges

Check the availability first, then come back if you need detailed information.

sevusal

Post by sevusal » Mon Dec 15, 2008 10:44 pm

Thanks Daz.

i have got the following when i look up my number:
ADSL2 Number: 03xxxxxxx
Exchange Code: MITM
Exchange Availability: YES
Exchange Capacity Reached: NO
Telephone Service Availability: Transfer Current Telephone Service Available
ADSL2 Service Availability: ADSL2 Service Available
Theoretically Estimated Low Speed: 13400
Theoretically Estimated High Speed: 15187

Does it mean i am eligible for ADLS2+ on my Telstra phone line? i.e. Exetel PTL A
Also, what does it mean i need space on Optus exchange? do you mean i need to trasfer my telephone to optus before connectnig to Exetel?
i believe aaNet/EfTel is Telstra wholesaler. does it mean that my downtime will be minimum, proabaly a day?

sevusal

Post by sevusal » Mon Dec 15, 2008 10:48 pm

i have tried applying and the only option come up in my application is INCPhone??? why?
i dont wat telephone line through Exetel. i want to keep my Telstra line for 2 reasons:
1. its cheap $20
2. it had emergency dialing facility which apparently exetel doesnt!!

please let me know if you need my full phone number?

is tehre a link to check if i am eligible for powertel ADSL2+ i.e. no phone plans?
Last edited by sevusal on Mon Dec 15, 2008 11:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Dazzled » Mon Dec 15, 2008 11:17 pm

Exetel doesn't do ADSL2 via Telstra. You have 3 choices - they each have separate application and availability pages. My reference was to the Inc Phone page. They are:

1. On Optus equipment with an included phone (all bills from Exetel, you don't officially know about Optus);
2. On Optus equipment with no PSTN phone on the line at all ("naked", so you must use VoIP);
3. On Powertel equipment, if available, shared with your existing Telstra PSTN phone service.

The Exetel inc phone plans are usually the cheapest total spend option if you want a PSTN phone at home. They include line rental and you keep your present number. The emergency bit you read is about the government's Telstra customer service guarantee, which is not available for line outages with an off-Telstra phone. Think kidney dialysis machines and the like. You can still dial 000 etc on the Exetel service. Exetel gets line faults fixed via it's wholesaler Optus, who may even use Telstra.

Most ADSL2 customers also select a VoIP service, for no set up cost. This makes your Australia wide calls only 10c flat, untimed. For many of us, this alone justifies the choice. This gives you an effective 2 phone lines if you are not naked.

Exetel arranges all the transferring. Downtime from ADSL1 (Telstra equipment) to ADSL2 (Optus equipment) is very brief. Mine was about 3 or 4 minutes. It's the time it takes to fiddle with some things at the exchange.

samarium

Post by samarium » Wed Dec 17, 2008 7:23 pm

Can't you get ADSL2 via Exetel/Powertel, and keep the Telstra Homeline Budget connection?

sevusal

Post by sevusal » Wed Dec 17, 2008 9:25 pm

Dazzled wrote:Exetel doesn't do ADSL2 via Telstra. You have 3 choices - they each have separate application and availability pages. My reference was to the Inc Phone page. They are:

1. On Optus equipment with an included phone (all bills from Exetel, you don't officially know about Optus);
2. On Optus equipment with no PSTN phone on the line at all ("naked", so you must use VoIP);
3. On Powertel equipment, if available, shared with your existing Telstra PSTN phone service.

The Exetel inc phone plans are usually the cheapest total spend option if you want a PSTN phone at home. They include line rental and you keep your present number. The emergency bit you read is about the government's Telstra customer service guarantee, which is not available for line outages with an off-Telstra phone. Think kidney dialysis machines and the like. You can still dial 000 etc on the Exetel service. Exetel gets line faults fixed via it's wholesaler Optus, who may even use Telstra.

Most ADSL2 customers also select a VoIP service, for no set up cost. This makes your Australia wide calls only 10c flat, untimed. For many of us, this alone justifies the choice. This gives you an effective 2 phone lines if you are not naked.

Exetel arranges all the transferring. Downtime from ADSL1 (Telstra equipment) to ADSL2 (Optus equipment) is very brief. Mine was about 3 or 4 minutes. It's the time it takes to fiddle with some things at the exchange.
Dazzled.. thanks a lot mate for the detailed explanation :)