Fring/NimBuzz Replacement

Old, inactive threads
ForumAdmin

Fring/NimBuzz Replacement

Post by ForumAdmin » Wed Jan 21, 2009 10:59 am

From before we 'released' the HSPA service for customers we have used both Fring and Nimbuzz to make VoIP calls over HSPA. Personally I am still using Fring to make all my mobile calls and I seldom/never have a problem with it.

However there is a lag, because the servers are based in the USA, and that does annoy some people enough to make it unusable for them.

Having, initially, thought that we could work with Fring to get them to co-locate their servers with us we have failed to do that and have abandoned that approach.

We will, instead, develop our own VoIP over HSPA generic interface for all HSPA handsets which we would hope to have available for customer beta testing in mid February.

This will allow Exetel customers to make free calls to other Exetel customers who enable this app on their mobile hand set as well as allowing high quality VoIP calls over HSPA.

If you have any suggestions as to what this simple facility should include please let us know.

hornet48

Re: Fring/NimBuzz Replacement

Post by hornet48 » Wed Jan 21, 2009 12:03 pm

No suggestions atm........ but want to say: GREAT NEWS!

Regards,

Harry.

dbr

Post by dbr » Wed Jan 21, 2009 1:16 pm

I like the idea. Similar to the exeSMS aplication.

Main point for this one is to be integrated with the phone's address book. Calls should be made simply. Eg when the call button is pressed, the option to go via VOIP or Mobile should be presented.

Users may want to be able to set a default option though Eg ALL calls go via VOIP. If no VOIP service available (for what ever reason) then the option to redirect call via Mobile Network should popup.

Ability to have the application preconfigured before download to phone - ie it simply works when installed, no configuring on the phone will help a lot of the less technical users.

I'll think about it a bit more to come up with some other options.....
http://www.saferoz.com.au
First Aid * Fire * Safety

vk3xem

Post by vk3xem » Wed Jan 21, 2009 2:06 pm

I agree with dbr, the application should be as transparent as possible. If it could pretty much be invisible without the need for it's own GUI, rather integrate with phone's GUI/OS.

I suppose the challenge will be to code it for the several different platforms out there to keep everyone happy. S40, S60 and WM. I know there is plenty of documentation on Nokia's website on implementing SIP for S40 and S60 platforms, which is needed for the latest high end Nokia phones. Not sure what info there is available for WM.

I commend Exetel for taking on this challenge, once properly implemented will be a step a head of the competition! Let's just hope Optus don't crack the sads.
The views I present are that of my own and NOT of any organisation I may belong to.

73 de Simon, VK3XEM

cubic

Post by cubic » Wed Jan 21, 2009 3:12 pm

Great news, thanks!

When it's done, have you thought about marketing it outside of Exetel users? I could see it working either as a commercial app or as a free release - giving other users the chance to try it for nothing via their own networks (and watch Optus squirm!) 8)

The built-in Nokia SIP client would provide a good model for the UI - just click the green button for the chosen default call type (gsm or voip), with fall-back to gsm when 3G isn't available. A nice extra there would be to make it optional fall-back, so the user could choose to get a warning before the phone changes over and makes a much more expensive call.

One other suggestion - not about the phone software but your server configuration. It would be really convenient if I could have two devices registered (home ATA and mobile) and both would ring for incoming calls.
...the term 'Future Perfect' has been abandoned since it was discovered not to be - Douglas Adams

oldman

Post by oldman » Wed Jan 21, 2009 4:10 pm

Just some initial thoughts...

* Multi-platform (Symbian, WM etc., so probably a Java-based app.)

* Small memory footprint

* Able to be hidden/minimised (so continues to run in the background even if phone is closed, slid shut etc.)

* Low battery usage (very important)

* Use mobile's Contacts list (able to strip unnecessary characters from a phone number before ringing, eg. (07) becomes 07 or 617 as necessary)

Gidget
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Gidget » Wed Jan 21, 2009 4:36 pm

Wonderful news :D Thanks for yet again developing something leading edge for your customers.

Gidget
Log a fault ticket here
or call Exetel VOIP numbers (02) 8030 1000 or 1300 788 141 (log faults 24x7)
Exetel Support Portal

samarium

Post by samarium » Wed Jan 21, 2009 5:12 pm

Dial plan support, so app can direct different numbers to different call methods, ie voip1, voip2, gsm etc, even other stuff like fring supports.

Dial plan could also be where the phone number rewrite rules are implimented to deal with shortcomings of things like exetel sip server.

Dial plan could also support time based method selection.

This is starting to sound a bit like asterisk, which while it would be nice to have the power would probably be just slightly overkill.

Munka

Post by Munka » Wed Jan 21, 2009 7:32 pm

Excellent news exetel.
As mentioned by others, windows mobile, which seems like the poor cousin in the voip stack realms.
My early research seems to point to agephone being the only versatile option at $30US. I would happily pay for exetels app.
Certainly as oldman posted - memory, battery and contact lists.
Munka

vk3xem

Post by vk3xem » Wed Jan 21, 2009 8:20 pm

samarium wrote:Dial plan support, so app can direct different numbers to different call methods, ie voip1, voip2, gsm etc, even other stuff like fring supports.

Dial plan could also be where the phone number rewrite rules are implimented to deal with shortcomings of things like exetel sip server.

Dial plan could also support time based method selection.

This is starting to sound a bit like asterisk, which while it would be nice to have the power would probably be just slightly overkill.
I started playing around with Fring and Nimbuzz (amongst others) before I came to Exetel, sure it is nice to have IM and all the other fancy features but it comes at a price - MEMORY. That's the main reason I have gone back to the Native VoIP client in my Nokia N82 and previous Nokia phones and use other IM software like Slick, which uses very little RAM.

The problem is the newest Nokia phones, although SIP capable do not have a VoIP client included, possibly due to pressure by big carriers. From what I've read on the Nokia website is that they are leaving the client side up to providers but they will assist them with technical data required.

Again the problem I see with dial plans in a mobile phone is MEMORY, in my opinion that should be handled server side and as such should probably considered a separate, but important project. If the customer was able to maintain their own dial plan online then it would make for a more effective package.
The views I present are that of my own and NOT of any organisation I may belong to.

73 de Simon, VK3XEM

samarium

Post by samarium » Wed Jan 21, 2009 9:37 pm

As a customer I would like to be able to route my calls as required to get the cheapest service. Exetel would be a large part of that equation, but not the only part. I haven't figured out why Exetel would make the effort to allow me to route calls over competitors networks, however much it would make sense to me.

Another thing I would like to be able to do is route by available access point. I have a Exetel HSPA service, and and Exetel ADSL service. When I'm near the appropriate wifi access point, I'd rather route the data through that than use the HSPA data. Now, if that handover could be made transparent on arriving home in the car, that would be great, the only problem I would have then is the irritating problem of the call hanging when I turn off the bluetooth connected car.

vk3xem

Post by vk3xem » Wed Jan 21, 2009 10:32 pm

There are third party applications to handle connectivity options for all your apps on your mobile.

Psiloc Connect will handle this requirement.

However I have my eye on Devicescape which is available for numerous platforms, at present it only handles WiFi connections but I believe they will be including GPRS/HSPDA connectivity in the near future. From what I've seen it will be the best way of managing your connectivity once that has been completed.

73 de Simon, VK3XEM

jokiin
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by jokiin » Wed Jan 21, 2009 10:53 pm

vk3xem wrote:
However I have my eye on Devicescape which is available for numerous platforms, at present it only handles WiFi connections but I believe they will be including GPRS/HSPDA connectivity in the near future.
I use the Devicescape Wi-Fi app on my iPhone to manage my connection for PCCW Hong Kong and it works quite well

jokiin
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by jokiin » Thu Jan 22, 2009 12:06 am

ForumAdmin wrote:
We will, instead, develop our own VoIP over HSPA generic interface for all HSPA handsets which we would hope to have available for customer beta testing in mid February.
Supporting multiple platforms will be the hardest thing to accomplish, feature wise maybe have a look at the Counterpath (the makers of X-Lite softphone) version, http://www.counterpath.com/assets/files ... _Brief.pdf they have some good features, X-Lite is also available for various platforms, maybe this can help fill the gap http://www.handango.com/catalog/Product ... stid=69718

vk3xem

Post by vk3xem » Thu Jan 22, 2009 12:45 am

That appears to be a Windows Mobile application. I still believe for an application to be successful it should be transparent and integrate as much as possible with the phones GUI.

73 de Simon, VK3XEM