Fring/NimBuzz Replacement

Old, inactive threads
Gidget
Volunteer Site Admin

Re: Fring/NimBuzz Replacement

Post by Gidget » Wed Mar 11, 2009 11:34 am

Sorry, one more name for the baby ... ExeTalk

ExeVOIP and variants thereof don't distinguish between mobile and non-mobile VOIP services provided by Exetel. ExeTalk uses "talk" for the first time and so neatly distinguishes this new type of VOIP service. ExeTalk also preserves 5 of the 6 letters of "Exetel" so is closely associated with the name Exetel.

Ordinary people who haven't heard of "VOIP" can easily understand what "ExeTalk" might be about - it's intuitive.

Gidget
Log a fault ticket here
or call Exetel VOIP numbers (02) 8030 1000 or 1300 788 141 (log faults 24x7)
Exetel Support Portal

Biscuits

Post by Biscuits » Wed Mar 11, 2009 12:19 pm

Gidget wrote:Sorry, one more name for the baby ... ExeTalk

ExeVOIP and variants thereof don't distinguish between mobile and non-mobile VOIP services provided by Exetel. ExeTalk uses "talk" for the first time and so neatly distinguishes this new type of VOIP service. ExeTalk also preserves 5 of the 6 letters of "Exetel" so is closely associated with the name Exetel.

Ordinary people who haven't heard of "VOIP" can easily understand what "ExeTalk" might be about - it's intuitive.

Gidget
Quite smart, got my vote.

closey

Post by closey » Thu Mar 12, 2009 8:37 pm

Another vote for Exetalk

NeoX

Post by NeoX » Fri Mar 13, 2009 11:26 pm

was wondering is there will be a Windows Mobile version? We always get left out :(

chrisphillips73

Post by chrisphillips73 » Sun Mar 15, 2009 10:06 am

raymond wrote:
doppledoer wrote:Hi Raymond, I have installed all 4 (5?) versions and each time I have the same problem: the application installs perfectly, but upon running it, it self-exists after i choose my access point. However I know that this access point is working. My phone is a Nokia 5320 with s60 v3 i believe. Is it not compatible with my phone or am I missing something simple? It would be great to hear something back so I know whether to keep experimenting or wait for a major update. Cheers, Peter
Hi Peter, The program should work on Nokia 5320, which is running on Symbian S60 3rd Edition, Feature Pack 2. The VOIP program is running on Symbian O/S. So, it would be compatible on your phone.

The application requires internet connections. Without internet, it cannot register to our sip server to make call. I recommend you do the following test.

1. Test that you phone can connect to Internet and browser using access point or HSPA.
2. Completely remove the program and install it.
3. Test program using access point or HSPA

I will send your feedback to our developer and see whether they can find a Nokia 5320 to test.
I have the same problem on my Nokia e65? The application exits immediately after I select an access point. Have tried wifi and 3G. Both access points are working. Any ideas?

fosfet

Post by fosfet » Thu Mar 19, 2009 6:49 pm

Re: Naming your thing.

Exetalk could be inadvertently associated with Gotalk. I don't think you would want that.

fosfet

Post by fosfet » Thu Mar 26, 2009 5:12 pm

I seem to have killed off the creative process, which has left me feeling guilty.

So I have given it some thought and came up with ExCellOip.

If it was mine, thats what i would call it.

So where is it? I wanna have a go.

Col

Post by Col » Thu Mar 26, 2009 5:21 pm

ExeCall? ExeDial? ExeChat?

b9force

Post by b9force » Fri Mar 27, 2009 8:49 pm

Hi Everyone

OK... how/where can I get hold of this wonderful app you are all talking about?

(I admit, I have not looked through every page of this thread, just two or three :oops:. Would it be possible to edit the first post with a link to the app, or instructions on how to obtain it?)

EDIT: OK, I found this link on page 3... will this get me the latest version?
http://www.exetel.com.au/files/exevoip.zip

And another newbie question I have...
In order to use VoIP on my new Exetel HSPA service, must I order/use Exetel VoIP specifically? Or could I use (for example) my existing MyNetfone VoIP account?

Thanks for a great forum everyone.

Cheers
B9

thomashouseman

Post by thomashouseman » Fri Mar 27, 2009 9:32 pm

You can use any VOIP provider with your Exetel HSPA account, but to use this Exetel application you just linked, you must have an Exetel VOIP account.

b9force

Post by b9force » Sat Mar 28, 2009 8:37 am

thanks thomas, much appreciated :)

play4fun

Post by play4fun » Sun Mar 29, 2009 9:55 pm

plz look into:

1.MW platform, -soon plz-
2.Any voip service, -would be very good-
3.low memory/battery usage, -paramount importance-

I just wanted to tell you, you guys are doing an amazing job, OUTSTANDING PERFOMANCE, keep it up.

toast

Post by toast » Mon Mar 30, 2009 1:44 am

Hi, thought id post on the experience using the exetel voip software.

Very easy to install, very easy to setup and register... just the phone number and password. Finally! Easy to install software!

Making phonecalls was easy too, as long as you remember the number, the contacts menu item didnt work too well :)

We were using a nokia 6110 navigator, on the telstra nextg network.

talking wasnt as good as i had hoped however. I assume that going thought the optus network would be way better!

The voice from the PSTN number to VoIP was anywhere from 1 to 3 seconds delay but the quality of the voice was very good. We could clearly understand the words coming out of the mobile phones speaker.

Going the otherway was different. VoIP to PSTN was choppy and unreliable, only about half the words were understandable.

What was a bit weird, was that the VoIP when talking, the words said were echoed back into the earpiece BEFORE the words arrived at the PSTN phone.

Ive got a billion voip adsl modem at home, and dont have any of there problems, or delay really, so i figure the echo could be a software thing perhaps? and the delay more because the packets are going through the nextg network?

We then tried SMS PUP who we think go through vodafone (not sure though). There was about a 30 second delay with the words so we gave up on that. and it was very choppy and un-understandable :)

Whats the cheapest 'trial' we could have to go through the exetel 3g optus network for a month to see how that compares?

Thanks,
Clive

jokiin
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by jokiin » Mon Mar 30, 2009 2:01 am

toast wrote: Whats the cheapest 'trial' we could have to go through the exetel 3g optus network for a month to see how that compares?
$25 to signup, $5 per month for the plan + your usage, first GB is $15 (charged by the kb I think from memory), the usage equates to around 1.5c worth of data usage per minute of voice traffic

ahas

Post by ahas » Mon Mar 30, 2009 2:36 am

jokiin wrote:
toast wrote: Whats the cheapest 'trial' we could have to go through the exetel 3g optus network for a month to see how that compares?
$25 to signup, $5 per month for the plan + your usage, first GB is $15 (charged by the kb I think from memory), the usage equates to around 1.5c worth of data usage per minute of voice traffic
1.5c per mb for the 1st 1000mb, works out to $15 / gb, then 2.5c/mb (or $25/gb) after the 1st 1000mb
Also no contract involved.

Also be aware that the 6110 Navigator is classed as WCDMA HSDPA 2100 MHz only with GSM coverage in 900MHz areas
It will work in the 2100MHz areas (major capital cities) or check Optus's "3G" coverage maps
It will be limited to GSM coverage in the 900MHz areas (rural) or check Optus's "Yes G" coverage maps
I doubt VOIP would work over GSM.