Fring/NimBuzz Replacement

Old, inactive threads
Ravenous

Re: Fring/NimBuzz Replacement

Post by Ravenous » Fri Apr 24, 2009 10:03 pm

Wondering if the samsung issue will be resolved before next release?

I have a samsung innov8. As mentioned previously when making a call it rings and connects to receiving phone fine but no sound & no microphone.

Cheers.

wadeholmes

Post by wadeholmes » Sat Apr 25, 2009 8:25 am

got the wife a N79 - and it is all working perfectly (apart from not being able to search contacts on the phone, which is really putting her off! I know it's coming but she wants it now!)

(and by the way I would recommend the N79 be added to your compatibility list - it works a treat, has wifi so no data cost when at home and has native voip as well)!

I have gone to add exevoip as a shortcut on the front screen - when I do this (both as the right / left button or as an icon) and I run exevoip, it asks for my access point which I select, and then the program just ends and returns me to the front screen. When I open exevoip from menu ->apps -> exevoip, no worries it works.

So I tried adding it as a shortcut on my nokia 6120 and it works fine.

So there is some issue with this version of symbian on the n79 and exevoip - might need to nut that one out?

edit - doing a bit of playing with it - it seems exevoip won't work at all when I have activated nokia's native voip (activated for an internet call by default now when I am close to my home network wi-fi) - exevoip and nokia's native voip must clash some how.....

ahas

Post by ahas » Fri May 01, 2009 9:32 am

raymond wrote:The application is in the final stage of development. We will send to Symbian for signing next week. Once Symbian verify the application, it will be formally avaialbe for our customers.
Any further updates?

stu

Post by stu » Tue May 12, 2009 5:22 pm

Bump

Any updates would be great....

thomashouseman

Post by thomashouseman » Thu May 21, 2009 9:01 am

Page 2 of this thread says:
9th March, 2009 Final Delivery of Product.
/sigh.

Come on Exetel, at least provide an update. There are many people sick of fring/nimbuzz and are awaiting the next revision of this.

gearo

Post by gearo » Thu May 21, 2009 9:22 am

Hi all,
I've personally emailed Raymond without any reply.
Raymond originally provided very helpful information for me and possibly is not as available as previously.
I'm wondering if this thread needs to be directed to others in Exetel to get the ball rolling again as I too, am most frustrated with results to date and see nothing changing?
thanks.

b9force

Post by b9force » Thu May 21, 2009 10:43 am

Personally I have had no joy whatsoever with ExeVoIP so far. (It's pretty much unusable for me, as inevitably only one party can hear the conversation properly.)

So I was actually thinking of registering for fring/nimbuzz. But what do you think, people -- am I likely to be just as disappointed with those apps? Are there any other (freeware) alternatives you could recommend?

I was really looking forward to using VoIP on my mobile... it was one of the key attractions for getting an HSPA account. Sadly disappointed :(
thomashouseman wrote:Page 2 of this thread says:
9th March, 2009 Final Delivery of Product.
/sigh.

Come on Exetel, at least provide an update. There are many people sick of fring/nimbuzz and are awaiting the next revision of this.

Gidget
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Gidget » Thu May 21, 2009 11:29 am

I've asked Raymond if he can give an update on progress. I think his main problem is not enough hours in the day to respond as promptly as he would like, however, I do know that development is proceeding, it hasn't stalled.

Cheers

Gidget
Log a fault ticket here
or call Exetel VOIP numbers (02) 8030 1000 or 1300 788 141 (log faults 24x7)
Exetel Support Portal

cubic

Post by cubic » Thu May 21, 2009 11:49 am

b9force wrote:Personally I have had no joy whatsoever with ExeVoIP so far. (It's pretty much unusable for me, as inevitably only one party can hear the conversation properly.)
Is it the party listening on HSPA that can hear ok (perhaps with a bit of lag), the party at the other end hears nothing, or just gets fragments after a huge lag (5 to 10 seconds or more)?
So I was actually thinking of registering for fring/nimbuzz. But what do you think, people -- am I likely to be just as disappointed with those apps? Are there any other (freeware) alternatives you could recommend?
If your experience is like mine (as above) it's not software-specific, so yes, you'll probably be disappointed with all other apps too. No harm in trying at least one to verify this though - Nimbuzz is good. But my tests on Nimbuzz, Fring, Ekiga (softphone) and ExeVoip (edit: and Nokia native voip) all produced similar results, give or take a fraction of a second of lag.

Two factors do make a huge difference for me though:
- location - I've seen much better results in most other places where I've tried it
- network - Now that Vodafone have enabled 3G (HSPA) in the area, I'm getting excellent quality over a connection using one of Exetel's mobile plans. At the casual rate of 7c/MB it's a bit more expensive but still very cheap by mobile standards.

YMMV
...the term 'Future Perfect' has been abandoned since it was discovered not to be - Douglas Adams

b9force

Post by b9force » Thu May 21, 2009 12:12 pm

cubic wrote:Is it the party listening on HSPA that can hear ok (perhaps with a bit of lag), the party at the other end hears nothing, or just gets fragments after a huge lag (5 to 10 seconds or more)?
That pretty much exactly describes my experience. I can hear them fine on my HSPA handset, while they can hardly hear me at all. (I seem to recall that you use a Nokia 6121 classic, do you not, cubic? That's the phone I use. If so... I wonder if there is any causal connection there?)

The 3G/3.5G signal in my area seems very strong (at least from the indicator on my phone). But perhaps there is local network congestion?

I did have one decent call experience with ExeVoIP that I can recall... it was when I was on holiday in a small seaside town on Victoria's Mornignton Peninsula, phoning to a Melbourne landline from my handset. On that occasion the quality seemed fine.

cubic

Post by cubic » Thu May 21, 2009 12:31 pm

b9force wrote:(I seem to recall that you use a Nokia 6121 classic, do you not, cubic? That's the phone I use. If so... I wonder if there is any causal connection there?)
No, it's not hardware-specific either - apart from the 6121 I've also used a N80 and e169 - laptop - softphone with similar results.
The 3G/3.5G signal in my area seems very strong (at least from the indicator on my phone). But perhaps there is local network congestion?
That's often suggested and may be the explanation, but I wonder if it might also be something to do with NAT on the Optus connections defeating STUN servers. Either way your experience seems to match mine - some specific Optus towers just seem to be bad for voip.
...the term 'Future Perfect' has been abandoned since it was discovered not to be - Douglas Adams

b9force

Post by b9force » Thu May 21, 2009 12:36 pm

cubic wrote:No, it's not hardware-specific either.
Thanks. Good to know my phone doesn't have a problem, at least :)

toast

Post by toast » Fri May 22, 2009 3:07 am

Hi,

I've been trialing Exetel HSPA on a Nokia 6110 Navigator using Fring and ExeVoIP. Both phones are in Perth, one is a Naked ADSL2+ and the other on the nokia.

Calling between the ADSL VoIP and a Telstra phone I get about a half second delay.
Calling between the ADSL VoIP and the Exetel mobile number I get about a second delay.
Calling between the ADSL VoIP and the Exetel mobile with fring is about a 1.5 second delay.
Calling between the ADSL VoIP and the Exetel mobile with ExeVoIP is about a 2 second delay.

The call quality on fring is worse than to a Telstra phone, but good enough. Calls to ExeVoIP is bad :(

Is it the phone at all, not being able to handle ExeVoIP? I was thinking of buying a N95 or E66 and trying the Nokia native VoIP. The other alternative is to try the 5320 with ExeVoIP.

Is there any difference in call quality/speed/reliability/congestion if you're on the 2100MHz compared to the 900MHz? That would be a reason for me to lean towards the E66 over the N95.

Clive

ahas

Post by ahas » Sat Jun 20, 2009 7:44 pm

Any news yet?

when might we see a final release?

thomashouseman

Post by thomashouseman » Wed Jun 24, 2009 7:38 am

Gidget wrote:I've asked Raymond if he can give an update on progress. I think his main problem is not enough hours in the day to respond as promptly as he would like, however, I do know that development is proceeding, it hasn't stalled.

Cheers

Gidget
Are you sure Gidget? It's been months since an Exetel Employee posted an update on this.