Fring/NimBuzz Replacement

Old, inactive threads
raymond
Exetel Staff

Re: Fring/NimBuzz Replacement

Post by raymond » Mon Feb 16, 2009 9:16 am

oblong wrote:
raymond wrote:Notes on 2009-02-13:
For me, for Samsung i560, the same comments apply that I wrote for the previous version:

1) After uninstalling and reinstalling and re-entering user/pass, it registered first time.
2) Outgoing call connected, but no audio either way.
3) Incoming call rang (with audio). However, still no audio for the voice.
4) The Options|About still says V1.0. Suggest changing that to avoid great confusion about what versions people are using. Also suggest a different file name for the ZIP file, to include the version number.
5) When starting the app. a second and subsequent time, there is no indication if it has registered (Perhaps an Options|Status menu item?). Entering a number and pressing "Call" says "Not Registered". If I do Options|Settings (I see username and pw are there)|Done, then it says it is registered.

Additional:
Red and green call/hang up buttons work. But pressing the hangup button also hides the application.
We still cannot fix the Samsung phone issue. The audio is working. We are trying to change the codex and install Sybian Signed Certificate to fix this issue.

I have all the copy of the code. We change the code all the time. It will confuse our customer, if I keep too many copies. The one I publish on our website is always the latest one.

We have just fixed the point 5).

raymond
Exetel Staff

Post by raymond » Mon Feb 16, 2009 9:23 am

Notes on 2009-02-16:

1) When the program starts, it will register to Exetel SIP server automatically, as long as your setting is correct.
2) When call is hangup, the called number will be clear.

----------------------------------------------
Exetel VOIP - First Demo Setup Instruction

This is a demo application and uses SIP protocol for voice communications (RTP for media).

This application directly registers to the Exetel SIP server(sip1.exetel.com.au).

This is a symbian application and will be working on symbian s60 platform fp1 and fp2 phones. (Nokia)

Please download the application from http://www.exetel.com.au/files/exevoip.zip
There are the following three files attached:
* eXevoip.sis
* cert-gen.cer
* key-gen.key

This is a self signed application. So you need to copy the attached certificate and key in your mobile along with the application sis file in the same folder (preferably in root folder).

For installation,
* Copy all the three above files in the same folder in your symbian nokia mobile (fp1 and above)
* Install the sis file either using the pcsuite or manually clicking the sis file from file explorer of your mobile.
* Make sure, the tools-settings-applications-app.manager-software installation is set to All (and not Signed only)

After installation, a default application icon with name "ExEVoip" is created under Applications/Installation folder of the mobile. Click on it to start the application.

* After installation, start the application by clicking on the EXEVoip Icon in you Application menu.
* It'll display the list of available network access points in your mobile. Please select the correct one having internet connection which you want to use for the voip call.
* Note: The application will not start if the network access point selected doesn't have an internet connection
* Go to options-Settings. In the user name, enter your Exetel VOIP username and Exetel VOIP password
* Click on done. You should get a "Registration Success" Prompt on the screen.
* on successful registration, you can make outgoing calls.

We welcome your feedback or comment here or you can email to raymondl@exetel.com.au.

thomashouseman

Post by thomashouseman » Mon Feb 16, 2009 9:34 am

raymond wrote:Notes on 2009-02-16:
Is this a newer/updated version from the 2009-02-13 one? If so, what has changed?

raymond
Exetel Staff

Post by raymond » Mon Feb 16, 2009 9:43 am

thomashouseman wrote:
raymond wrote:Notes on 2009-02-16:
Is this a newer/updated version from the 2009-02-13 one? If so, what has changed?
1) When the program starts, it will register to the Exetel SIP server automatically, as long as your setting is correct.
2) When call is ended, the called number will be cleared.

Mick01

Post by Mick01 » Mon Feb 16, 2009 6:27 pm

raymond wrote: We still cannot fix the Samsung phone issue. The audio is working. We are trying to change the codex and install Sybian Signed Certificate to fix this issue.
Thanks, that's great. Good to know you are working on the fix. I'm looking forward to a version that will work with my Samsung. I like the simplicity of the design so far so looking forward to being able to use it.

Mick

bingggo

Post by bingggo » Mon Feb 16, 2009 9:39 pm

I guess other's have said this in the preceding pages, but I look forward to a Java or otherwise Windows Mobile-friendly version, preferably with a callback feature :)

doppledoer

Post by doppledoer » Tue Feb 17, 2009 12:11 am

Hi Raymond, I have installed all 4 (5?) versions and each time I have the same problem: the application installs perfectly, but upon running it, it self-exists after i choose my access point. However I know that this access point is working. My phone is a Nokia 5320 with s60 v3 i believe. Is it not compatible with my phone or am I missing something simple? It would be great to hear something back so I know whether to keep experimenting or wait for a major update. Cheers, Peter

raymond
Exetel Staff

Post by raymond » Tue Feb 17, 2009 8:58 am

doppledoer wrote:Hi Raymond, I have installed all 4 (5?) versions and each time I have the same problem: the application installs perfectly, but upon running it, it self-exists after i choose my access point. However I know that this access point is working. My phone is a Nokia 5320 with s60 v3 i believe. Is it not compatible with my phone or am I missing something simple? It would be great to hear something back so I know whether to keep experimenting or wait for a major update. Cheers, Peter
Hi Peter, The program should work on Nokia 5320, which is running on Symbian S60 3rd Edition, Feature Pack 2. The VOIP program is running on Symbian O/S. So, it would be compatible on your phone.

The application requires internet connections. Without internet, it cannot register to our sip server to make call. I recommend you do the following test.

1. Test that you phone can connect to Internet and browser using access point or HSPA.
2. Completely remove the program and install it.
3. Test program using access point or HSPA

I will send your feedback to our developer and see whether they can find a Nokia 5320 to test.

cubic

Post by cubic » Tue Feb 17, 2009 9:16 am

Just confirming the latest changes working for me on 6121c. I think the Red button behaviour (send the app to the background) is appropriate, leaving it ready to receive calls. This is in line with other similar programs.

One question: what codec is it using? Or is that dependent on the native SIP capabilities of the phone? In areas of limited connectivity presumably G.729 would work better.
...the term 'Future Perfect' has been abandoned since it was discovered not to be - Douglas Adams

ahas

Post by ahas » Tue Feb 17, 2009 9:54 am

Installed the latest version last night on my Nokia 6121c.

Worked well, but.....makes my 6121c run hot & extremely high battery use

doppledoer

Post by doppledoer » Tue Feb 17, 2009 10:04 am

Thanks for the response.
raymond wrote: 1. Test that you phone can connect to Internet and browser using access point or HSPA.
2. Completely remove the program and install it.
3. Test program using access point or HSPA
1. I definitely have a working Exetel access point, using HSPA
2. The same thing has happened with every version I have installed and with the latest version I even tried signing it myself and reinstalling but no luck.
3. Always the same problem. Unfortunately the phone doesn't have wifi, so I can't try that, but there is no reason why my HSPA access point wouldn't work. It works perfectly with exeSMS and browsing and fring etc, though interestingly my phone is not yet supported by Nimbuzz so that could be an indication of something...

davidw89

Post by davidw89 » Tue Feb 17, 2009 11:23 pm

Firstly let me say that the exeSMS application for sneding SMS is a piece of shit. On my Nokia phone i have to click yes/confirm/select access point about 6 times to send one sms..it really is that much of a hassle. Wy don't you integrate it into this program?

I'm switching over to an iPhone, i've got Fring as backup, hopefully the next program you guys make will be more user friendly and transparent. I know this app only works for the Symbian platform, any plans for the iPhone?

Gidget
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Gidget » Wed Feb 18, 2009 12:00 am

davidw89 wrote:Firstly let me say that the exeSMS application for sneding SMS is a piece of shit. On my Nokia phone i have to click yes/confirm/select access point about 6 times to send one sms..it really is that much of a hassle. Wy don't you integrate it into this program?

I'm switching over to an iPhone, i've got Fring as backup, hopefully the next program you guys make will be more user friendly and transparent. I know this app only works for the Symbian platform, any plans for the iPhone?
What a polite post about something written free for your use in sending 5 cent SMSs :?

If you read Raymond's project-scoping post earlier in this thread, you'll see that the ability to send SMSs will be included in the Fring/Nimbuzz replacement. As such, they probably aren't putting further development into ExeSMS at the moment. This is my assumption and may or may not be the case - Raymond would need to comment on that.

Yes, it's a bit of a pain clicking OK a few times, but so what? The world won't end, and the reduction in cost from 25 cents to 5 cents eases the pain considerably.

Gidget
Log a fault ticket here
or call Exetel VOIP numbers (02) 8030 1000 or 1300 788 141 (log faults 24x7)
Exetel Support Portal

ehallein

Post by ehallein » Wed Feb 18, 2009 7:35 pm

I am looking to buy a new phone to use on my exetel 3G broadband.

Will this software support a nokia 5800 (S60 5th Edition)

I realise it is not complete, but how integrated do you expect the software to be with the phone? Ie will it be seemless to receive and call.

Finding a mobile that supports voip is becoming a real headache, and now nokia have stopped supporting it!

thanks

MJH

Post by MJH » Fri Feb 20, 2009 6:16 pm

I have just installed and tested sucessfully on my Nokia E71 though I don't seem to be able to view Contacts from the application. Can you please confirm if this is meant to work yet. I have the exeSMS installed and can view contacts withoug any problems.

Thanks,
Michael