"shaped" option

Old, inactive threads
mistrdamage

"shaped" option

Post by mistrdamage » Wed Jan 21, 2009 6:51 pm

I realise now that I made a huge mistake in my situation by choosing this option. I am on the 12gb peak limit and reached it 6 days ago because my 4 kids hammered the internet and I didn't realise it until it was close and too late. Now they are banned from the internet but I am stuck with a speed that is just simply unusable. Is there any way to get back the regular speed before the start of the new month? I knew what would happen when I selected this option but I never thought that I would reach the limit, I have never even come close to it. People do make mistakes and unkown and unplanned things happen.

James
Exetel Staff

Re: "shaped" option

Post by James » Wed Jan 21, 2009 7:01 pm

mistrdamage wrote:I realise now that I made a huge mistake in my situation by choosing this option. I am on the 12gb peak limit and reached it 6 days ago because my 4 kids hammered the internet and I didn't realise it until it was close and too late. Now they are banned from the internet but I am stuck with a speed that is just simply unusable. Is there any way to get back the regular speed before the start of the new month? I knew what would happen when I selected this option but I never thought that I would reach the limit, I have never even come close to it. People do make mistakes and unkown and unplanned things happen.
After you reach 2 gigabytes you will be unshaped.

mistrdamage

Post by mistrdamage » Wed Jan 21, 2009 7:15 pm

James wrote: After you reach 2 gigabytes you will be unshaped.
Thanks James but as the speed is so slow I will not reach the extra 2GB before the start of the new month anyway :) I would be happy to pay the $6 extra per GB now if possible.

vk3xem

Post by vk3xem » Wed Jan 21, 2009 8:35 pm

Ouch!! Looks like you need install usage meter software on your computer to keep a much closer eye on what is happening.

I would suggest Toid's Mini Exetel Usage Meter or if you are using Firefox, look at Critter's Net Usage Item. They are both great applications that will assist you in easily monitoring your usage and both authors are extremely helpful if you have any issues, although you can always ask here on Exetel's Forums first. :)

Once you have one of these monitoring tools working and the kids have served time for the offences you can let them back online with parole. :lol:
The views I present are that of my own and NOT of any organisation I may belong to.

73 de Simon, VK3XEM

ymo

Post by ymo » Wed Jan 21, 2009 11:51 pm

mistrdamage wrote:I am stuck with a speed that is just simply unusable.
You may find some tips at http://forum.exetel.com.au/viewtopic.php?f=294&t=27752 helpful for making your shaped connection more usable.

mistrdamage

Post by mistrdamage » Fri Jan 23, 2009 10:16 am

Thankyou all for your time and effort and offering me advice. The meter works great. I read up about how to make shaping work better but decided that I don't have the technical knowhow to muck around with settings and then try to set them back.
Out of frustation with the performance I downloaded large files to reach the end of the extra 2GB. Same files over and over again and it took along time. The problem I found is that I've now overshot it as Exetels updates to the data meter are behind and didn't realise how far I went over. So now I'm at 14.7 GB and 2GB was a complete waste of data time and bandwidth. But this was the only way that I could get my speed back? There's something wrong there.
Anyway if I can offer some advice and that is not to go the shaping option. I would have removed this option too before I reached the 12gb but it did not allow me as it said I can only change this option once a month and it didn't allow me too. Anyway I'm not cranky at anybody except myself but a better way around all of this should be looked at.