So explain this whole naked thing...

Old, inactive threads
Colt

So explain this whole naked thing...

Post by Colt » Thu Feb 05, 2009 11:12 am

So, I hate my phone line. That is, I never use my home phone and yet I pay for it every month for no reason at all.

The last time I checked (it's been a while) ADSL2 was not available in my area because the network/exchange is oversaturated/full. However that may not be the case anymore (Carlingford exchange).

So what I'd like to know, is can I actually cancel my phone line but still enjoy ADSL.

I've finished any contracts a long time ago so I'm not tied down.

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Re: So explain this whole naked thing...

Post by Dazzled » Thu Feb 05, 2009 11:38 am

You really only have two options - a naked service where the phone line carries ADSL2 internet only, or a 3g mobile based service.
For the first, you can check availability at http://sq.exetel.com.au/cgi-bin/naked_adsl2.pl

The second wireless solution, though portable, is not economical except for lowish usage. http://www.exetel.com.au/residential-hs ... mation.php
You can run the 3g service on a suitable phone or via a suitable modem.

Both will leave you Telstra-free.

jokiin
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by jokiin » Thu Feb 05, 2009 11:38 am

Criminal_Colt wrote:So, I hate my phone line. That is, I never use my home phone and yet I pay for it every month for no reason at all.

The last time I checked (it's been a while) ADSL2 was not available in my area because the network/exchange is oversaturated/full. However that may not be the case anymore (Carlingford exchange).

So what I'd like to know, is can I actually cancel my phone line but still enjoy ADSL.

I've finished any contracts a long time ago so I'm not tied down.
if ADSL2 is available with the right supplier you can go naked, you can't if you only have ADSL1 available unfortunately, have you checked the status of your exchange again?

Colt

Post by Colt » Thu Feb 05, 2009 1:19 pm

Oh cool, looks like I can.

So if I apply for the naked plan Telstra will just close my account? Or do I need to call them and tell them too.

Also, if I move after just creating this contract would I need to pay a termination fee or could I just move it to my new address? Would still need to pay a connection fee at the new address though, right?

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Dazzled » Thu Feb 05, 2009 1:43 pm

Exetel via Optus will move your line onto the new equipment without you having to arrange anything with Telstra. At the moment of cutover, Telstra is GONE and you are disconnected from them, but after your naked service is running it would be prudent to confirm that Telstra has indeed finalised your account. They are known to keep sending bills sometimes. Your new accounts will come from Exetel only

Moving house means another line has to be disconnected from Telstra and re-connected at the exchange, so it's a new connection as far as Telstra/Optus are concerned.

Gidget
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Gidget » Thu Feb 05, 2009 1:47 pm

Colt wrote:Also, if I move after just creating this contract would I need to pay a termination fee or could I just move it to my new address? Would still need to pay a connection fee at the new address though, right?
Dazzled wrote:Moving house means another line has to be disconnected from Telstra and re-connected at the exchange, so it's a new connection as far as Telstra/Optus are concerned.
... and if you are still in contract you will pay a termination fee for the service at the old address.
Log a fault ticket here
or call Exetel VOIP numbers (02) 8030 1000 or 1300 788 141 (log faults 24x7)
Exetel Support Portal