Midnight crisis

Old, inactive threads
vk3xem

Re: Midnight crisis

Post by vk3xem » Fri Jul 03, 2009 1:17 am

Impact wrote:shocking i cant even receive a 800kbs file over msn :(
Nothing unusual about that, often MSN transfers don't work and alternative methods need to be found.
The views I present are that of my own and NOT of any organisation I may belong to.

73 de Simon, VK3XEM

Evilince

Post by Evilince » Sun Jul 05, 2009 11:02 pm

Yeh this 12am lag crap is starting to annoy the hell out of me and there is a very big chance I will be changing ISPs. It's been happening for months, I stuck around hoping that perhaps exetel were going to do something about it, but if they planned on it, it would have been done by now. I'm not going to continue paying when I can't use it for half the day (I am a late night person). I don't see why people who are just trying to play a game or surf the net should be affected by people who download on a completely different connection. Why has Exetel done nothing about it?

adamknifey

Post by adamknifey » Wed Jul 08, 2009 1:35 am

they fixed mine before they moved location. now it seems its come back.

duffman

Post by duffman » Wed Jul 08, 2009 7:34 am

Fail exetel.... just fail cya
Duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem.

saywat

Post by saywat » Wed Jul 08, 2009 3:32 pm

Wow... seems many people are suffering from this. I'm only a new customer to exetel and i surely didn't expect downloadable speeds of 50-100kbps from 12am all the way till after 5am (the time i stayed up till). Funnily enough, the speeds are perfectly fine (extremely fast) during peak times so i know its nothing to do with my connection. After a complaint to residential support, and a reset port this is all the consolation I received:
Hello,

Thank you for your e-mail.

There are no service level agreements in place for your connection.

The connection is supplied on a best effort basis, with no guarantees towards speed, reliability, uptime, or latency.

You can monitor activity on the links Exetel are responsible for from within your Members Facilities.
Management continually monitor these links and upgrade when required.

Regards,

XXXXXXXX
Exetel Support Engineer
Exetel Pty Ltd
How very sensitive.. Isn't that almost like 'Haw- Haw, you just got gypped!'.
Atleast they thanked me for my email... *sigh*

Hope something is done to improve the situation in the near future, rather than this indifferent attitude.

terrox

Post by terrox » Wed Jul 08, 2009 8:34 pm

I'd just like to know what the cause is.

Is the congestion specific to one Exchange only?
- if so, will that exchange be upgraded by Telstra, if the exchange is constantly under heavy load?
- and is it slow for EVERYONE on the (for example) Optus ADSL2 hardware in that exchange OR just the Exetel customers in that exchange?

If it is only slow for Exetel customers in the same exchange (or region), I'd be annoyed as hell and want to switch ISP - because really, that is Exetel being the bottleneck and there is really no way to say otherwise AFAIK.

tamdp

Post by tamdp » Thu Jul 09, 2009 12:59 am

Exetel's off-peak adsl speed is a USELESS SHAME.

saywat

Post by saywat » Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:09 am

terrox wrote:I'd just like to know what the cause is.

Is the congestion specific to one Exchange only?
- if so, will that exchange be upgraded by Telstra, if the exchange is constantly under heavy load?
- and is it slow for EVERYONE on the (for example) Optus ADSL2 hardware in that exchange OR just the Exetel customers in that exchange?

If it is only slow for Exetel customers in the same exchange (or region), I'd be annoyed as hell and want to switch ISP - because really, that is Exetel being the bottleneck and there is really no way to say otherwise AFAIK.
Can't be the second point, 'everyone on the Optus ADSL2 hardware' as I was with optus around half a few weeks ago and never experienced any discernible difference in off peak times what so ever. I never had the need to do speedtests so I can't comment on whether there was a minor reduction in speeds.

cl3ft

Post by cl3ft » Thu Jul 09, 2009 8:10 pm

Trying to stream Le Tour from SBS because the cricket took over SBS1, this is an ADSL2 connection that works a treat peak times. It dies at 12:01am, even the audio won't stream. Exetel appear to be over selling their network by an order of magnitude and then failing to upgrade to meet demand.

I will be voting with my patronage.

terrox

Post by terrox » Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:05 pm

Okay so we can agree that this slowness is Exchange/Region dependent and only within the Exetel network. now what?

CrusaderVision

Post by CrusaderVision » Fri Jul 10, 2009 1:03 am

terrox wrote:now what?
Well I'm STRONGLY considering changing ISP's, I'm damn well sick of these slow bs speeds after midnight. ADSL2+ and getting 70kb/s after midnight?
Last edited by CoreyPlover on Sat Jul 11, 2009 3:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Inappropriate language

terrox

Post by terrox » Fri Jul 10, 2009 9:47 am

I'm not keen on switching, I'd rather some kind of change to the way bandwidth is shared by users in a Region/Exchange.

I don't think it is fair that the high speed customers can max out their connection by using multiple downloads and then anyone who wants to download ONE file will suffer because the maximum "speed per single file/thread" decreases in the area. Sure, I can get max speed by doing the same thing (P2P or multiple downloads) - but that is part of the problem.

ADSL2+ customers obviously want fast speeds and if Exetel is satisfying them by using multiple-thread download load balancing as a sort of 'neat trick to get files fast' - that is nasty and wrong. If not, then there's a problem to fix - unless this thread-cap system is just the way it has to work and can't be changed (goddamn tell the customers in a technical page somewhere why this is true, it really sux to be in ignorant).

Right now, at 9:30am I am streaming Iview - so I dunno if I'm just lucky that some guy stopped torrenting BSG and now we can all watch TV or what...

A "fair" load balancing system would not allow anyone to gain maximum speed by just starting more downloads - hence slowing everyone ELSE down. Either;
- cap maximum speed
or
- reduce everyone's speed by the same %
I'm pretty sure Capping max speed is the best idea. No one cares about going from 20Mbps down to 15 during offpeak time, as long as they can stream something that they need or get one file fast there's no problem, some people only get 5Mbps and would DREAM of getting that speed at midnight (on one file). Spreading the load between everyone just because a few phat customers are getting 2meg a second worth of torrents is lame, punish "them" and not "us".

gfroodb

Post by gfroodb » Sun Jul 19, 2009 1:04 am

Agree with all of the posts above. Watching the 'Watch Live' tdf on SBS at exactly 12.01 it ceases to stream. Since this co-incides with the "free" download period I think that we are being ripped off and that Exetel is cranking down the speed. I have complained but was asked only to include my speeds (which I had already included in the complaint).

Can anyone suggest a reliable alternative to Exetel? I am in the Newcastle region.

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Dazzled » Sun Jul 19, 2009 8:28 am

This thread really ought to be put on hold until the new free period starts - see http://forum.exetel.com.au/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=32839 You can see there the heat being generated between those who have a "midnight crisis" and the stroke of midnight mass downloaders.

Although I am sometimes affected after midnight, it doesn't happen often. I can have a good experience when others are posting in this thread, so it has a strong local component. I wouldn't mind betting that there will turn out to be a correlation with the sub-21 age group in each region. Uncharged mass downloads are important to this group - otherwise an angry parent gets involved.

terrox

Post by terrox » Sun Jul 19, 2009 10:26 am

Still doesn't change the way the load balancing works. if my area is under heavy load I can just start more downloads to get full speed and slow the non-leeching users down even more.