Broadband availability in Tasmania

Old, inactive threads
Topgunn

Broadband availability in Tasmania

Post by Topgunn » Sun Jul 05, 2009 6:48 pm

Hi, I live in Tassie and I'm about to churn from my current ISP hopefully to Exetel. I have noticed both on Whirlpool and exetel's website that once the Basslink cable is operational, Exetel will be opening up sign ups to Tasmania again.
I just have a couple of questions, 1. Is this information correct and is the date specified (8th July) the date that I can use the online applicaion form to churn? At the moment the online form just says from approximately 15th April.
And number 2. Im on a Telstra DSLAM with a 1.5mb/s plan right now and my exchange is Telstra ADSL2 enabled. What services will be available to me?
From what I can work out Exetel uses Telstra for ADSL1 and Optus for ADSL2Naked but im not sure if Exetel offers ADSL2 with Telstra DSLAM's or not?
I was hoping to go with the 8mb plan with 30/60gb and port my pstn number to VOIP but if im able to get ADSL2 with VOIP i would go with that instead.
I really want to get away from my current ISP asap so any info that can be provided would be very much appreciated.
Thanks in advance,
Topgunn

CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin

Re: Broadband availability in Tasmania

Post by CoreyPlover » Sun Jul 05, 2009 6:55 pm

Topgunn wrote:1. Is this information correct and is the date specified (8th July) the date that I can use the online applicaion form to churn? At the moment the online form just says from approximately 15th April.
I would assume this information is provisional only. Perhaps email residentialsales@exetel.com.au to get some further confirmation
Topgunn wrote:And number 2. Im on a Telstra DSLAM with a 1.5mb/s plan right now and my exchange is Telstra ADSL2 enabled. What services will be available to me?
See below. Last I heard was that only ADSL1 was available in Tasmania. See http://johnl.blogs.exetel.com.au/index. ... o-Far.html. If Optus or Powertel/AAPT start reselling services due to the Basslink connection then this might change
Topgunn wrote:im not sure if Exetel offers ADSL2 with Telstra DSLAM's or not?
No, they don't

Topgunn

Post by Topgunn » Sun Jul 05, 2009 7:20 pm

Thanks for getting back to me!
I did email residentialsales and Gavin Team Leader of "sales" wrote:

Dear Sir / Madam,

Thank you for your email.

Regret to inform you that Exetel currently does not any new services to Tasmania and we do not have an ETA on when the service will be provided.

I guess I was just hoping that he didnt get the memo that signups were opening up again lol
I would be happy with 8mb ADSL1 at this stage if i can get it but it looks like im going to have to find another ISP to churn to.
Thats a pity I thought I finally found one that offered good quotas AND good service!
Back to the drawing board then...

edit:After reading that blog from John you linked to if Exetel could offer even adsl1 in Tasmania until the NBN is rolled out they wouldnt have to pay for DSLAM's that im pretty sure would become redundant and I for one would be quite happy to go from ADSL1 to a 100mb plan when it does come available. If Basslink has lowered the cost of Backhaul out of Tasmania surely there would still be some money to be made in ADSL1 without having to waste money on a technology that will soon be superseded and that money could be better used in setting up Exetel to offer FTTH plans. Fair enough there would be money to be made on Mainland Australia with ADSL2 before the NBN is rolled out Nationwide in 2018 or whenever it MIGHT happen. If Optus decided to waste money on bringing cheaper ADSL2 to Tassie then Exetel could use their infrastructure. I guess thats why I thought Exetel would open up again in Tasmania once Basslink opened even if it was with ADSL1 to get more of a presence here and hopefully then roll their customers over to these awesome 100mb plans in supposedly around 6 months time. I know the opinion of one person isnt going to make a difference to whether they open up here or not but it makes sense to me that when the NBN is finished here atleast that there is going to be a hell of a lot more money to be made with FTTH than ADSL1 or 2 and it would be easier to get customers now with our limited options and roll them over to 100mb than to compete with other ISP's for new customers when its actually up and running.
I would like to get a definite answer on whether Exetel will open up anytime soon because after 4 years I really have to get off this sinking ship named dodo before its completely under.

davidotas

Post by davidotas » Thu Jul 09, 2009 2:24 pm

I've read on this board that they hoped to be able to reopen new applications for Tasmanians by July 09, and now it's here I haven't heard anything either. Surely there's some news now that the Basslink is open? I am not looking forward to churning away from Exetel after 3 years in about 5 weeks when I have to move house.

CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by CoreyPlover » Thu Jul 09, 2009 2:34 pm

LAst known update was from http://forum.exetel.com.au/viewtopic.ph ... 75#p249875:
ForumAdmin wrote:We had expected to commission the new PoP today but there was a 'last minute hitch'.
We now expect to commission the PoP on Friday and start accepting new orders early next week.
We will transfer some current 'test' customers by the end of next week.

Juskym

Post by Juskym » Mon Jul 13, 2009 5:09 pm

While trying to sign up for an acocunt I noticed the comment that Exetel are not excepting applications in Tasmania until 15th July 09, since finding out that this has been an ongoing issue for the last year. Is July 15th a definite date for applications to recommence or is this likely to change? We already have an existing account though Exetel so it will be of benefit to us to open this new account with the same ISP, hoping this will be possible in 2 days.

dparish

Post by dparish » Wed Jul 15, 2009 10:00 am

Also waiting to hear if we can yet push the churn or new account button for Tasmania services.

Also note that in the churn form you have a script that warns Tasmania they cannot sign up for new services after you hit submit, and won't send the form.

Topgunn

Post by Topgunn » Wed Jul 15, 2009 11:40 am

The message about 15th of July sign ups in Tas message has gone and I thought they were open but once i clicked confirm order the pop up came up about not accepting them until sep 08 which has long gone so is that a fault or are they still closed?
I have been waiting patiently (for me anyway) for them to open and i really hope its soon or im going to have to try and find somewhere else. :(

CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by CoreyPlover » Wed Jul 15, 2009 11:56 am

The update at http://forum.exetel.com.au/viewtopic.ph ... 75#p249875 mentioned that "We will transfer some current 'test' customers by the end of next week." This was last week, so testing should be completed by, say, Friday. Even though this last post indicated new orders will start being accepted, I would give it at least another week to allow for any further updates

CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by CoreyPlover » Fri Jul 17, 2009 12:14 am

Update from http://forum.exetel.com.au/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=32822:
ForumAdmin wrote:Exetel has finished commissioning the Hobart PoP and will begin transferring current Exetel ADSL1 users in Tasmania from the Optus/Telstra supplied service to the Exetel/Telstra service from mid next week.

Exetel is accepting new customer sign ups for ADSL1 services from midnight tonight.