PSTN phone and VOIP phone

Old, inactive threads
amnew

PSTN phone and VOIP phone

Post by amnew » Tue Jul 14, 2009 4:27 pm

Do you need to attach 2 phones one for PSTN and one for VOIP if you subscribe for ADSL2 incphone service. I don't quite understand this part.

Thanks.

Klaas

Re: PSTN phone and VOIP phone

Post by Klaas » Tue Jul 14, 2009 4:32 pm

No you don't need to attach two phones.

With an INCPHONE phone service, you still have a regular PSTN service, so, id you don't want to use VoIP, just connect a phone to the phone line, suitably filtered.

If you want to use VoIP, you can use a hardware ATA (Analogue Telephone Adaptor), that you plug the phone into. The ATA is then configured to use the VoIP service, when you make outbound calls. Some ATA's also allow you to plug in the filtered PSTN line, so that folks can call your PSTN number, and it goes to the one phone.

Hope this helps.

Cheers
Klaas

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Dazzled » Tue Jul 14, 2009 8:09 pm

To further elaborate--
The phone handset plugs into the ATA. Some (but not all) ATAs have 2 input cables, both the internet and the PSTN phone. If you get one of these models, the automatic line switching is done by the ATA. It is like having a commercial phone with 2 outside lines. Usually inward calls come in on either VoIP or PSTN, outward calls go on the cheaper VoIP line.

So be careful to get an ATA with both inputs/outputs, also known as "PSTN over-ride". Many of the lower priced models in the shops are VoIP only boxes.

dtn22

Post by dtn22 » Wed Jul 15, 2009 8:53 am

Hi,

I'm also planning to use VOIP and PSTN phone together. Can a Dynalink RTA1046VW set up in a way that i can make outbound calls using VOIP and inbound calls using PSTN line? What about in the case when the ISP goes down, can the RTA1046VW able to do an auto switch to use PSTN until it can detect the ISP is back up? I have no idea how to set this up so any inputs is appreciated.

Cheers,
Dan

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Dazzled » Wed Jul 15, 2009 9:02 am

1. Yes you can do that.
2. Yes it does fall back.
3. Read http://www.exetel.com.au/files/dynalinkvoip_setup.pdf and get a copy of the full user manual from http://netcomm.com.au/__data/assets/fil ... 6VW_UM.pdf as there isn't one in the box. This shows the method of wiring it. There will be 2 input cables, and the handset or base station will be in phone port 1.

PS Auto fallback may not be too bright if you make lots of trunk calls - best use a dialled over-ride code (the full manual has the instructions).

amnew

Post by amnew » Wed Jul 15, 2009 5:27 pm

Thank you. I am glad I don't have to look for a second phone. Just one more question. If the phone is set up for making outbound VOIP calls is there a code or some numbers you need to press if you want to make a PSTN call instead for some reason?

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Dazzled » Wed Jul 15, 2009 7:04 pm

PSTN over-ride codes are described on p 122ff of the user manual linked above. You can choose your own.
Quoting from that page (IAD=the Dynalink internet access device)

Conditions for the PSTN
The following conditions indicate that the VoIP phone has been changed to PSTN mode:
while the IAD is powered off
while the IAD cannot register with or reach the SIP Server
while user dials prefix digits
while user dials PSTN phone numbers including emergency call (FXO function,
refer to the section of “Definition of FXS and FXO”)
while PSTN call incoming

amnew

Post by amnew » Thu Jul 16, 2009 9:38 am

Thank you. Have downloaded manual and will read through.

dtn22

Post by dtn22 » Thu Jul 16, 2009 2:47 pm

Thank you for your help. I will have a read and will attemp to config it.

dtn22

Post by dtn22 » Thu Jul 30, 2009 1:14 pm

Just want to let you know i had manage to setup without any prob, thank you for the instructions.