changing from adsl1 to adsl2 concerns

Old, inactive threads
ChrisB

changing from adsl1 to adsl2 concerns

Post by ChrisB » Thu Aug 27, 2009 10:48 pm

HI
I am seriously considering changing my ADSL1 service (currently TELA plan) to an ADSL2 plan (probably the INC2DSLA Plan- phone and ADSL2).

I live at Rouse Hill (Kellyville Exch), which would make me possibly a little over 5km away (cable distance) from the exchange. I am currently using a Netcomm NB6plus4w modem.

My concern is i don’t want to compromise the reliability i currently have, for speed (but would sure like more speed!!), as i have not had any drama’s with my current service and i am of the understanding that the higher the speed, the more possible it is to experience problems with dropouts and the like, (adls2 more susceptible to noise??).

is there any way of checking prior to see if there could be any foreseeable problems with a switch to ADSL2??

If i was to experience problems, where would i stand as far as any contract?? ie am i able to get out of a contract and revert the service back to an adsl1 service due to adsl2 issues?? (i guess this would be covered by a service guarantee??)

I would also like to clarify what i can get on the phone side of things. I currently have silent line and caller id (with Telstra). Are they available and what are the extra charges for these facilities if i was to get the INC2DSLA phone and ADSL2+ package??
Thanks in advance
Chris
Go With The Flow

JasonM

Re: changing from adsl1 to adsl2 concerns

Post by JasonM » Thu Aug 27, 2009 11:14 pm

ChrisB wrote:is there any way of checking prior to see if there could be any foreseeable problems with a switch to ADSL2??
Unfortunately, no.
From the initial 'estimated' checks from our supplier side, we can see you are approximately 4450m cable length from the exchange, and the estimated speeds are 4391kbps - these can be conservative at times.
ChrisB wrote:If i was to experience problems, where would i stand as far as any contract?? ie am i able to get out of a contract and revert the service back to an adsl1 service due to adsl2 issues?? (i guess this would be covered by a service guarantee??)
If you entered a new contract to get the ADSL2+ service, then there is a $100 early termination fee applied by our supplier to cancel the service, and then we would also be up for new activation costs of an ADSL1 service.
It's possible you could upgrade to the ADSL2+ service and get a higher speed, better value service. And, there's the possibility over that large length of cable, a fault could develop, or Telstra used a bit of aluminium or poor quality copper, and this could play havoc with your service. The good news is we can see these details after the service is cutover to the Optus ADSL2+ network.

Our supplier of the ADSL2+ service has previously offered penalty free exits where the service clearly is incapable of working, so, before you make the jump, your worst case scenario looks a little like this:
- You upgrade to ADSL2+.
- The service drops out A LOT.
- The 1.5Mbps profile still drops out on your line (most don't).
- Our line tests show a normal result.
- You test two modems in full isolation.
- The supplier sends an interference technician who finds nothing wrong, yet we still see drop outs on the 1.5Mbps profile.

The possibility of an exit being offered could arise here, or of course, if the drop outs become 'immensely' annoying, the $100 fee starts to look attractive.
The above is all a 'possibility', it's just as possible to have a perfect service at that distance, it's just not as likely as one closer to the exchange (less cable, less joins, less room for error).

More thoughts - the worst drop out case I've seen recently, was a Telstra based service.

ChrisB

Post by ChrisB » Fri Aug 28, 2009 10:57 pm

Thanks for the reply Jason,...

i thought it would be a try it and see .... sounds quite promising though

would you (or anyone else) know if Caller id and Silent line are part of the $15.00 line rental (INC2DSLA Plan) or if they are extra charges?? or even available at all??

Regards
Chris
Go With The Flow

JasonM

Post by JasonM » Fri Aug 28, 2009 11:04 pm

ChrisB wrote:i thought it would be a try it and see .... sounds quite promising though
Great!

Caller ID - displayed on your compatible handset is available, we currently charge $3 for this.
Outgoing caller ID restriction - specify it on the application form when applying, no charge for this.
Unlisted number - similar to above, specify on the form, no charge.

ChrisB

Post by ChrisB » Sat Aug 29, 2009 10:21 pm

Thanks for the prompt reply...

more questions (hopefully the last ones!!)

I just checked out the application for adsl2 and the only issue i can see is that our existing Telephone account (with Telstra) is in my Wifes Name, though i am an authorised rep on the account. Will this be an issue when trying to transfer the Telephone service??, as my wife is also not listed on the Extel ADSL account??

Also do i tick or leave it unticked in the "Calling number display sending" box if i do not want my number displayed when making a call.

Thanks
Chris
Go With The Flow

JasonM

Post by JasonM » Sat Aug 29, 2009 11:36 pm

Tick this box to prevent sending your number:
Call number display block (Number is not sent when dialing)

You'll need the name on our side to match that of the transfer, so it's best to change the name our side to reflect the telephone account name, rather than risk losing your service in changing the telephone account holder name (we can also change the name back once transferred).

ChrisB

Post by ChrisB » Sun Aug 30, 2009 9:50 am

Am i able to change the name of the account online, or do i have to call or email someone??

not fussed either way, but would you know if there is any fee for changing the account name??

Chris
Go With The Flow

JasonM

Post by JasonM » Sun Aug 30, 2009 10:24 am

I believe we charge $25 to change the name of the account on our side.
Email billing@exetel.com.au who should be able to assist.
I'm not sure if the supplier does verify the name on the account or not..

ChrisB

Post by ChrisB » Thu Oct 08, 2009 9:10 pm

Hello again....
Exetel have changed the account name, but now i cant seem to find the ADSL2 bundle (INC2DSLA as per the email sent to me back in August) in the "change my service" area.

is this because of the name change?? and am i still able to get this plan (INC2DSLA)??

Thanks
Chris
Go With The Flow

JasonM

Post by JasonM » Fri Oct 09, 2009 1:16 pm

It's not due to the name change, but Exetel recently changed it's plan line up - so only new plans are available.
Do the new plans suit ?

ChrisB

Post by ChrisB » Sat Oct 10, 2009 4:05 pm

ah ok, didnt realise plans were recently changed...

Looking at the new plans though, why is adsl2 with my existing telephone provider (NF/21BYOLINE @ $25) cheaper than getting adsl2 & phone bundle with Exetel?? (NF/21INCTEL @ $40+$15)

I would have thought that if you bundled phone and adsl, the ADSL would be cheaper??
Go With The Flow

CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by CoreyPlover » Sat Oct 10, 2009 4:42 pm

ChrisB wrote:ah ok, didnt realise plans were recently changed...

Looking at the new plans though, why is adsl2 with my existing telephone provider (NF/21BYOLINE @ $25) cheaper than getting adsl2 & phone bundle with Exetel?? (NF/21INCTEL @ $40+$15)

I would have thought that if you bundled phone and adsl, the ADSL would be cheaper??
Perhaps a better way to compare is to factor in line rental: With a BYO Line plan you would require Telstra Homeline (Complete?) at $27.95 per month which brings the total up to $27.95 + $25 = $52.95 compared to the $55 total of IncTel plans. So there is still a marginal cost advantage to BYO Line plans but I suspect the call rates between the Exetel bundled and Telstra Homeline may mean that the optimal choice depends on phone line usage.

ChrisB

Post by ChrisB » Sat Oct 10, 2009 4:57 pm

thanks for that corey. We were actually just trying to work out the sums... we have a few other extras (silent line and caller id) that look like it would make it cheaper with Exetel
Go With The Flow