Moving House - My Options

Old, inactive threads
JB

Moving House - My Options

Post by JB » Thu Sep 10, 2009 9:59 am

I am moving to a new house and have connected the phone with Telstra.
I am currently with Exetel (phone and ADSL2 bundle) and have completed the minimum contract period.

I have been happy with the phone costs through Exetel and was looking at the INC2DSLB plan for the new address.

Excluding the Telstra costs it seems I can either relocate for $90 or activate a new connection for $40?

It seems connecting the new address is cheaper and will ensure continuity of service, it this right?
Also when I cancel my service with Exetel at the old address, do I need to do anything else to cancel the phone service?

JasonM

Re: Moving House - My Options

Post by JasonM » Thu Sep 10, 2009 10:54 am

The $90 option doesn't need you to involve Telstra (and so is a complete cost of relocation).
Using the relocation option will cause the connection and disconnection to happen on the same day, and this is typically 10 working days after application.

If you do go the Telstra route instead, then you will need to arrange to cancel the account via members facilities, which cancels both DSL and phone.

JB

Post by JB » Thu Sep 10, 2009 12:08 pm

Thanks for the quick response.
Does the relocation option not require a phone line and number to be established?

Given that I have already involved Telstra by setting up a phone account, what would by best option (cheapest and quickest) in getting an Exetel ADSL account at the new address.

What is the average time frame for a new connection?

JasonM

Post by JasonM » Thu Sep 10, 2009 12:16 pm

Cheapest - get us to do the relocation, $90.
Telstra will hit you somewhere between $59 - $299 for the line, and then $100 for early disconnection of the line when we take it over, then $40 is our charge to port it over.

I'm not sure on our success rates with relocations, but there's a low number of problem reports.

JB

Post by JB » Thu Sep 10, 2009 12:30 pm

Thanks for the clarification. Telstra has already setup the line, so I have already spent the $59 plus the $100 if I move the phone to Exetel. Might investigate the PTLB vs INC2DSLB numbers to see if the phone is worth swapping.

Based on your help I think I'll just go with the new connection. Thanks for the assistance. :)

CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by CoreyPlover » Thu Sep 10, 2009 11:38 pm

JB wrote:Based on your help I think I'll just go with the new connection.
That is what I would do in your situation as it guarantees an overlap of active ADSL services in both location to ensure no downtime. Also, after activating the new connection and before cancelling the old one, email Exetel to port your email accounts, invoices, etc over.